Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,476,890 times

Advertisements

I still need some clarification here. "America is a Christian nation" -- in what sense? In the sense of a theocracy? In the sense of a majority Christian demographic? Those claiming that it is fact, please elaborate on what you mean by a "Christian nation."

Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,283,558 times
Without God, from where do our rights come from? If we are truly an atheist nation, then there is no basis for natural, inalienable rights. Our right to free speech does not come from the .gov, our right to bear arms does not come from the .gov, Our right to not have to quarter soldiers does not come from the .gov, etc. So, where do they come from? They cannot come from the .gov because they cannot be taken away. If 99% of the populace wanted to censor, it cannot be done, if 99% of the people wanted to ban guns, it cannot be done, etc. Why, because these rights are God given, at birth.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,483,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.
It just makes them more comfortable. Anything else makes them scared, and they are always scared of something.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,469,946 times
I would like to hear from some of the original inhabitants of this land how they feel about the blessings brought to them by the "Christians". I think they just might have a different perspective of a "Christian nation".

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Without God, from where do our rights come from? If we are truly an atheist nation, then there is no basis for natural, inalienable rights. Our right to free speech does not come from the .gov, our right to bear arms does not come from the .gov, Our right to not have to quarter soldiers does not come from the .gov, etc. So, where do they come from? They cannot come from the .gov because they cannot be taken away. If 99% of the populace wanted to censor, it cannot be done, if 99% of the people wanted to ban guns, it cannot be done, etc. Why, because these rights are God given, at birth.
All of those rights could be taken away in a minute. Look at Obama and trying to censor the Internet. Our right to freedom of speech could vanish tomorrow. What then?

They're not God-given, after all, if God is ruling the whole world, He forgot to give those rights to a whole bunch of people. There are tons of people who live under governments that don't grant those rights.

Even the concept of rights is a man-made concept. Who says who has a right to this or that? After all, I might think I have a right to eat my fries, but then my dog comes and snatches them from me. Rights is relative and rights are defined by the people who grant them, who could also just as easily take them away.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 PM

I think those rights are given away, not taken away.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
We are not declaring it is a Christian country, we are re-affirming a pre-existing fact. It is the forces of evil trying to undo that fact.
In which fantasy world or alternate universe? Please provide proof of this "fact".

The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense founded on the Christian religion

Many Religious Right activists have attempted to rewrite history by asserting that the United States government derived from Christian foundations, that our Founding Fathers originally aimed for a Christian nation. This idea simply does not hold to the historical evidence.

The Treaty of Tripoli
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
All of those rights could be taken away in a minute. Look at Obama and trying to censor the Internet. Our right to freedom of speech could vanish tomorrow. What then?

They're not God-given, after all, if God is ruling the whole world, He forgot to give those rights to a whole bunch of people. There are tons of people who live under governments that don't grant those rights.

Even the concept of rights is a man-made concept. Who says who has a right to this or that? After all, I might think I have a right to eat my fries, but then my dog comes and snatches them from me. Rights is relative and rights are defined by the people who grant them, who could also just as easily take them away.

People, when faced with tyranny, and I am not referring to the current state of the U.S., speak out, take up arms and fight, perhaps only a few, and usually they are not sucessful, but, despite attempts to remove those rights, they exercise them. Success isn't a right, so if a rebel in a tyrannical country wants to speak out, they may be killed, if they want to mount an armed insurrection, they may be shot, but they die for those rights. people throughout the history of civilization have fought fo rthier freedom. Just because something is illegal, doesn't make it any less of a right, only more consequences at the hands of others.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
People, when faced with tyranny, and I am not referring to the current state of the U.S., speak out, take up arms and fight, perhaps only a few, and usually they are not sucessful, but, despite attempts to remove those rights, they exercise them. Success isn't a right, so if a rebel in a tyrannical country wants to speak out, they may be killed, if they want to mount an armed insurrection, they may be shot, but they die for those rights. people throughout the history of civilization have fought fo rthier freedom. Just because something is illegal, doesn't make it any less of a right, only more consequences at the hands of others.
How is it a right if I am killed in trying to exercise it? Doesn't really sound like a right to me.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
How is it a right if I am killed in trying to exercise it? Doesn't really sound like a right to me.

Patrick Henry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.