Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,436,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Why is it a mission priority for atheists to have "In God we trust" removed from our currency, and "One nation under God" taken out of our Pledge of Allegiance?
Why was it a mission priority to have "In God We Trust" put on the currency in the first place? or "under God" added to the Pledge? (The "one nation" was already there)

Old 09-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
It is De Facto a Christian Nation... deal with it you.... relativist!
And that means what exactly? How is it a "de facto" Christian nation

Old 09-17-2015, 02:38 PM

[quote=ArtinChicago;15273055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I am atheist and by no means want to see the U.S. destroyed.

There's a fault in thinking here, in that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian. quote]

I am a Christian and by no means want to see the U.S. destroyed by Godless Atheism.

There's a fault in thinking here, in a blanket statement like this.
"There's a fault in thinking here, in that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian."
Are you saying that Christians claim that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian?
That's patently absurd!
Now if you had prefaced by saying "some", "many", "most"; I'd still find fault with that.

Can an Atheist that maintains good values claim that these values have no foundation in Judeo-Christian beliefs?
Going by that you could also argue we're a Confucian nation.

[5:12] Zi Gong said: “What I don't want done to me, I don't want to do to others.”
Analects of Confucius ??

Chung-kung asked about perfect virtue. The Master said, "It is, when you go abroad, to behave to every one as if you were receiving a great guest; to employ the people as if you were assisting at a great sacrifice; not to do to others as you would not wish done to yourself; to have no murmuring against you in the country, and none in the family." Chung-kung said, "Though I am deficient in intelligence and vigor, I will make it my business to practice this lesson."
The Internet Classics Archive | The Analects by Confucius

Old 09-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Without God, from where do our rights come from? If we are truly an atheist nation, then there is no basis for natural, inalienable rights. Our right to free speech does not come from the .gov, our right to bear arms does not come from the .gov, Our right to not have to quarter soldiers does not come from the .gov, etc. So, where do they come from? They cannot come from the .gov because they cannot be taken away. If 99% of the populace wanted to censor, it cannot be done, if 99% of the people wanted to ban guns, it cannot be done, etc. Why, because these rights are God given, at birth.
Yes there is. If you don't believe in God then they're "natural rights"

Old 09-17-2015, 04:50 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,834,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.
As somebody who grew up in a fundamentalist Christian household, it comes from this idea that America is a special nation in the eyes of God and therefore the promises of blessings and curses in the Old Testament directed at the theocracy of ancient Israel also apply to modern America. To break it down, the more outwardly Christian the American government is, the more likely God is to bless America. The more secular it is, the more likely an angry God is to pour out his wrath on this nation.

Also, to many evangelical Christians, there is an immutable belief that God's law is above man's law, and man's law should always be in line with God's law. Therefore, the moral laws of the Old Testament should be enforced by the government.

Last edited by bawac34618; 09-17-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 05:28 PM

35,769 posts, read 21,130,870 times
I will say it --yes I will-- because most of those who want it to be a Christian nation are white Christians NEVER hear the Latin or black churches ever bring that up at all!!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,999,544 times
I have to wonder how much one's views are influenced by which region one lives in.

It has been commented that some regions are more religious than others.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:59 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,922,431 times
In Europe, religion is considered private. In America, the right wingers want to plaster a bible onto your face at every turn.

The efforts by the right wingers to replace the constitution with the bible and install Christian Sharia Law as the law of the nation needs to be stopped. We are not Saudi Arabia or Iran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.