Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 PM

805 posts, read 774,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
It is De Facto a Christian Nation... deal with it you.... relativist!
To answer the OP's question.

Because it is Our Heritage.

Because it is Our Legacy.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub
Very little of this actually comes down to Christian vs other. What it comes down to is those who wish to preserve American values and culture vs those who wish to see it destroyed (Atheists).
I am atheist and by no means want to see the U.S. destroyed.

There's a fault in thinking here, in that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian. But I hold a lot of the same values as Christians, I just don't identify myself as a Christian.

I think a lot of people blur the lines between religion, morality, and culture, and there are way too many opinions with way too little evidence of what happened in history. There are many paths to morality; organized religion is just one of them. American culture is influenced by Christianity because there are a lot of Christians in America, but that doesn't mean that American culture is Christian, or that American itself is Christian. After all, my writing might be influenced by, say, Kafka, but that neither makes my writing nor me Kafka.

Another question: when we say "a Christian nation", what do we mean? Do we mean that America's government system and laws are based on the Bible, in the same way Islamic nations' governments and laws are based on the Quran and Sharia law? Do we mean it's a nation that happens to have a majority of Christians in it? Or do we mean that American values coincide a lot with Christian values, regardless of whether Americans themselves are Christian or not?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:49 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,663 times
I think people fixed on the "Christian nation" model are in some video game world where the Christians are the "End World" heroes or something. I really blame media sources when it comes to Christian fanaticism in America. The hardcore "Christians" I know seem like nothing more than rednecks with a lifetime subscription to Christian satellite radio.

The devil has 6 days, the church claims the seventh. This is what I have learned from some Christians. Not all. Just some.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM

805 posts, read 774,718 times
[quote=nimchimpsky;15272125]I am atheist and by no means want to see the U.S. destroyed.

There's a fault in thinking here, in that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian. quote]

I am a Christian and by no means want to see the U.S. destroyed by Godless Atheism.

There's a fault in thinking here, in a blanket statement like this.
"There's a fault in thinking here, in that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian."
Are you saying that Christians claim that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian?
That's patently absurd!
Now if you had prefaced by saying "some", "many", "most"; I'd still find fault with that.

Can an Atheist that maintains good values claim that these values have no foundation in Judeo-Christian beliefs?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,282,359 times
While I don't think that America should declare it is a Christian nation, because I don't want a theocracy, perhaps some feel that without God, the .gov becomes the highest moral authority, a disturbing thought to many.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times
Quote:
I am a Christian and by no means want to see the U.S. destroyed by Godless Atheism.
What makes you think that only atheists are capable of destroying the U.S.? What makes you think that atheists want to destroy the U.S.? Where did you even get this idea? The majority of atheists are peaceful people, just like the majority of Christians. And for those that aren't peaceful, there are violent nut cases on both sides.

Quote:
There's a fault in thinking here, in a blanket statement like this.
"There's a fault in thinking here, in that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian."
Are you saying that Christians claim that one can only maintain good values by being a Christian?
That's patently absurd!
Yes, some do. Not all, but some. If they don't directly state it, they imply it in the way they act and judge non-Christians.

Quote:
Can an Atheist that maintains good values claim that these values have no foundation in Judeo-Christian beliefs?
No, but many morals and values are far from based solely on Judeo-Christian beliefs. Morals like no killing and love thy neighbor are pretty universal morals, and can be found across all religions and beliefs.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 07-30-2010 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,150,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.
Insecurity and the need for validation in their personal faith and beliefs. Another explanation might be vanity.

Either of these or a combination of the two is probably not dealt with in the Bible in a positive light.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,640,015 times
I find many Christians have no real understanding of the importance of being a Christian nation and surely it is unimportant to all non-believers.

As a believer I'll say it is important because of principle. The Bible says God (Jehova) is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It also says blessed is the nation whose god is the Lord(Psalms 33). Also by knowing God's behavior (taking into account his unchanging ways) we know that when a people turn their backs' on God then God allows true destruction to come upon them. This happened many times to Israel throughout Israels history... the last time when they (the Jews) denied Jesus as the Christ Savior. As we all know they, as a people, were scattered throughout the world as a nationless people and were persecuted throughout that time.

Atheist, agnostics, non-believers, luke warm Christians all live in the blessings this nation has enjoyed as a Christian nation. As we can see now though that is changing in America.

This is just my thoughts on this!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,150,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I find many Christians have no real understanding of the importance of being a Christian nation and surely it is unimportant to all non-believers.

As a believer I'll say it is important because of principle. The Bible says God (Jehova) is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It also says blessed is the nation whose god is the Lord(Psalms 33). Also by knowing God's behavior (taking into account his unchanging ways) we know that when a people turn their backs' on God then God allows true destruction to come upon them. This happened many times to Israel throughout Israels history... the last time when they (the Jews) denied Jesus as the Christ Savior. As we all know they, as a people, were scattered throughout the world as a nationless people and were persecuted throughout that time.

Atheist, agnostics, non-believers, luke warm Christians all live in the blessings this nation has enjoyed as a Christian nation. As we can see now though that is changing in America.

This is just my thoughts on this!
We have never been deemed a Christian nation. The USA is not a Theocracy.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:54 PM

372 posts, read 221,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.
We are not declaring it is a Christian country, we are re-affirming a pre-existing fact. It is the forces of evil trying to undo that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.