Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,145,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Jeez, Louise! First of all, you ass-ume that ALL Christians feel that way, yet there are several self-declared Christians on this board who have said they do not agree that "America" (sic) should be declared a Christian nation. This includes at least one conservative.
Apparently my writing was so captivating you couldn't find anything of substance to argue with and instead used that dreaded passive aggressive mini-insult. I made no ass-umption about all Christians. I made an assessment of their motivations in claiming this country is a Christian one. Of course some will disagree, but the majority will not. They want this to be a Christian nation with the same zeal that they want our laws to adhere to supposed Christian values even though doing so undermines those values. Oh well, we know where we each stand and let's leave it at that.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Apparently my writing was so captivating you couldn't find anything of substance to argue with and instead used that dreaded passive aggressive mini-insult. I made no ass-umption about all Christians. I made an assessment of their motivations in claiming this country is a Christian one. Of course some will disagree, but the majority will not. They want this to be a Christian nation with the same zeal that they want our laws to adhere to supposed Christian values even though doing so undermines those values. Oh well, we know where we each stand and let's leave it at that.
No, your writing isn't captivating at all. You impugned the motives of all Christians, claiming 'they' (sort of like Sarah Palin, dividing the country into 'we' and 'they') want this to be a Christian nation, despite the fact that several have said otherwise on this forum. Plus, after insulting me personally, calling me passive agressive, you want to "leave it at that", in other words, have the last word.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,667,565 times
Default Easy question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.
God is all powerful. We as a nation need his protection. If we deny Jesus, He will deny us. Jesus hung on a cross and died for the sins of those who believe in Him and accept Him as their Savior.

Unfortunately we have a president elected by us that has declared that we are not a Christian nation. A lot of Christians are praying that we will not be destroyed before we can vote again and hopefully do a better job next time. We can also pray that this president will change his ways.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,803,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek atheism was not the platform the country was founded on.
why is that so hard to understand?
the country is deeply founded in masonic and monotheist beliefs and value systems.
people looking at these posts keep insisting in a watered down version of a "higher power" god.
curse of the age, too much watering down.
Christianity itself is derivative of many sources. So too was our nation. God is not to blame for how America manages money, and christians can barely manage their own lives without feeling compelled to play God. Separation of church and state needs an amendment all it's own.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,803,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
God is all powerful. We as a nation need his protection. If we deny Jesus, He will deny us. Jesus hung on a cross and died for the sins of those who believe in Him and accept Him as their Savior.

Unfortunately we have a president elected by us that has declared that we are not a Christian nation. A lot of Christians are praying that we will not be destroyed before we can vote again and hopefully do a better job next time. We can also pray that this president will change his ways.
Yes I've heard people were scolded in church for not voting McCain. Are we only allowed to elect demigods to appease your version of god?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 AM

38,649 posts, read 26,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYourAverageFlirt View Post
Conservative politicians promote, time and again, that the US is a Christian nation because... *drumroll* most of the population is considered Christian and the Republicans want their votes. George W. Bush repeated over and over that he is a Christian man and he answers to a higher power. And many people voted for him not because of his Republican platform, but because he said he was Christian. He also had one of the lowest approval ratings in America's history. It was so bad, that for the next election, a majority of voters said, "well, maybe we ought to give this half-Muslim a try..." and the 10% who still approved of Bush by the end of his term are the ones who think that Obama is somehow tied to Osama because there's only a one-letter difference.

"W" did in fact make a point of proclaiming his Christian faith. I seem to remember his account of his conversion in the context of having made mistakes for which he expressed regret. If America identified with "W" more so than Gore or Kerry, it was likely due to our willingness to forgive a humble sinner who, like us, made mistakes. Forgiveness, after all, is the Christian thing to do. Maybe Obama/Pelosi-style arrogance sells in the rest of the world, but America expects Reaganesque humility from her leaders.

P.S. "W" has the lowest approval rating of any modern president. This is true, but he also has the highest approval rating of any modern president at 92% (Gallup).

All things in context.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 AM

38,649 posts, read 26,433,425 times
[quote=harborlady;15311233]Yes I've heard people were scolded in church for not voting McCain. Are we only allowed to elect demigods to appease your version of god?

LINK?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,551,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
You are ridiculous. You clear said that I said they were ALL Christian and I NEVER said that. Which means you LIE! The link I found was a break down of their religions you chose to ignore it. There were more then a few FF you know again you chose to pick and choose the ones that suit your POV conveniently ignoring the others.
I didn't ignore anything. I read the entire link. Nowhere did it list any of the Founding Fathers as Deists which many clearly were, therefore the link made an incorrect assertion at best and was dishonest at worst.

Quote:
You have lost and have been proven incorrect more times than I can count on this thread but feel free continue with your nonsense.
Apparently you are unfamiliar with the number zero. I haven't lost anything and you haven't proven anything, but you did resort to the personal attack of calling me ridiculous... so, so Christian.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,089,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Sorry. I edited my post after you quoted it. Regarding the 76%, you can look up most sources online and you'll find most of them cite a number around 76%.

But back to the original topic, if we can agree on a definition for "Christian nation," why is it so important for Conservatives to emphasize this point?
76% is a very accurate number, and it's dropping.

"By 2008, the percentage of Christians had reached 76% and is believed to be continuing its decline."

Religious identification in the U.S.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,944,391 times
The Founding Fathers included Freedom of Religion in the First Amendment because they saw the problems with a State religion. At first the Catholic Church ruled most of the kingdoms, then the British supported the Anglican Church. That spelling bee word "antidisestablishmentarianism" refers to opposition to defunding of that church. Why certain conservatives want to repeal or revise the first amendment I cannot say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.