Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
If it was true that you cant stop them from joining gangs, then that would mean that every person that lives in the heavy gang infested areas would join them. Since many don't join the gangs, then there must be something that prevented them from joining.

A large portion of people don't have the need to have the "acceptance"
that they would receive from a gang. I think it is factors such as those
that deter many from joining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
A large portion of people don't have the need to have the "acceptance"
that they would receive from a gang. I think it is factors such as those
that deter many from joining.
While I will agree that this could apply for some potential people from joining, it wouldnt help for all. Not everyone that joins a gang does it for the need of acceptance. There are many other reasons also.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Guess the hug-a-thug mentality is just something that sounds good since I can't get a direct answer on it.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
"Wednesday night wasn’t his first brush with trouble, a police source said. Earlier this summer he was arrested for allegedly throwing bricks at car windows."

Doesn't sound like the victim was a sweet, innocent child who never was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Hug-a-thug" isn't as effective as "Plug-a-thug".

Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM

576 posts, read 586,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Guess the hug-a-thug mentality is just something that sounds good since I can't get a direct answer on it.

She's from Charlotte. The court system here, in a sense, has that mentality. Most recent example was a kid that was robbing a Wendy's. One of the cops shot him in the leg. He was young, maybe 17-early 20's and had something like 27 prior convictions.

Basically the courts here might hold them for a few days but they always ges right back on the streets.

Another one was a drunk driver that got into a wreck anf killed a 17yr old girl last week. This was his 4th DUI charge. He was convicted for his 3rd DUI less than a year ago.

There's a couple of examples like this pretty much every week in Charlotte now.

The DA is very lenient on some things.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Well around chicago most of the high rises have already been torn down, and been converted to condos. Part of the problem especially in neighborhoods like west pullman is that the kids cant count on the police for protection so they have to look elsewhere. In neighborhoods like this, it can take the police anywhere from 30-60 minutes for the police to make it if someone calls in about someone shooting.

My wife wrote an incident report that was turned into the security company. not the media.

And no this wasnt a gang on gang violence, I said he was a member of a gang, not that he was the intended target. And trust me, in this neighborhood, most people don't feel safe anyways.
West Pullman gets better the further south you go. I have an Aunt that lives on 129th and that section is relatively quiet. The kid got shot on 115th which is closer to Roseland.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:10 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
ghettos were formed long before we had such a high rate of unwed mothers. There was poverty since before this time also.
Exactly!! Chicago had a lot of gang/mob shootings in the 1920s, when Capone and them were in control.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 PM

530 posts, read 780,107 times
I think prisons should go back to being work camps not lets all sit around and chat. Make those that are in prison so tired at the end of a day of hard physical labor they have to concentrate hard just to remember their own name. Perhaps when released they will think twice when life is not simply 3 hots and a cot when you go to prison.

I know this is anecdotal but it is the reason I say this: my ex-brother-n-law was sentenced to 12 years for arson, he only served 3 and every week his mother was taking him new games for his playstation so he would not get "bored"!

Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
I think prisons should go back to being work camps not lets all sit around and chat. Make those that are in prison so tired at the end of a day of hard physical labor they have to concentrate hard just to remember their own name. Perhaps when released they will think twice when life is not simply 3 hots and a cot when you go to prison.

I know this is anecdotal but it is the reason I say this: my ex-brother-n-law was sentenced to 12 years for arson, he only served 3 and every week his mother was taking him new games for his playstation so he would not get "bored"!

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Really repay their debt to society.

They can do the work the Illegals do,
then kick out the illegals!!!!!
Win-win situation.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
And that worked so well for in the past, back in the crime free days of.... when was that again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies