Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,340 times

Advertisements

I agree. What the hell are we still doing in Iraq and Afghanistan? Soldiers are dying every day and we're throwing billions down the toilet for what??? I think George W Bush had a better plan for withdrawl than Obama does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Ok, this would be laughable, if not so sad. That's ok, they'll fight for your freedoms none the same. They don't need your support.......
And what freedoms of mine are they fighting for? Oil?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:10 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And what freedoms of mine are they fighting for? Oil?
No, No! They're fighting for Freedom Toast and Freedom Fries, don't you remember?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I don't agree. The soldiers are the same people - whether they are in a war/conflict you agree with personally or not. They and their families go through tremendous sacrifices. Yes, there are some bad apples in the bunch. But there are also a lot of them trying to help the civilians too which never gets a lot of media coverage. How can you say I support the troops in one situation and then say I do not support them in another. They don't get to vote on where they are sent. Don't blame them for the mistakes of politicians.
BS, the families know what they’re getting into when they enlist.
Tremendous sacrifices for MONEY. They get paid a boatload to go downrange. They sign up for the benefits they’re going to receive: healthcare, education, learning skills, 3 hots and a cot for them and their families.
They enlist. They choose to fight for politicians. There is no draft.
It’s all about personal decisions.
Don’t like the life, don’t enlist.
Pretty simple.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,403 times
I fully support our troops. They're brave enough to put their lives on the line to defend the country that they love. How can you not respect them?

That being said, we should have never invaded Iraq. GTFO.

Afghanistan is sketchy. I'd like to support that war.. But I think we're causing way too much harm. I know that since our presence started, the Afghan women have gained rights, but we're still killing so many innocent people and have yet to find many Al-Qaeda/Taliban leaders, let alone Bin Laden himself... High hopes for the safety of our troops.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,264 times
Quote:
Tremendous sacrifices for MONEY. They get paid a boatload to go downrange. They sign up for the benefits they’re going to receive: healthcare, education, learning skills, 3 hots and a cot for them and their families.
Pretty simple.

You are truly clueless!!!! The choose to fight for ALL of us. They do NOT get paid well at all and many have to take out student loans to help pay for the education they want. They also pay for housing, yes it is subsidized but they still pay.

Oh yes a boat load of money. The starting salary for an on the ground combat solider is under $20,000 per year. Oh yeah bring on the boats.

PayScale - U.S. Marine Corps Employer Salary, Average Salaries

http://www.payscale.com/chart/266/Median-Salary-by-Job---Employer-U.S.-Marine-Corps-United-States_V_USD_20100728061908-v2.0.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-01-2010, 02:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Obama's wars are an absolute waste of human life and money. That is not the fault of our troops. It's a leadership issue. We have a boy leader who doesn't have a clue as to what to do.
Sorry but these aren't Obama's wars but ones created by Bush and Cheney and his Halliburton cabal.
If Bush was a leader he wouldn't have dumped both wars unto Obama's lap which by the way we are starting to leave Iraq now thanks to Obama.
Iraq was a war of choice and gullible Americans bought into the lie that was WMDs and 4500 of our brave troops died for it.
I seriously don't know how Bush & Cheney are not in the Hague being tried for War crimes.
I did support Afghanistan because that was the base where the 9/11 attacks sprung from and I had no problem with getting Bin Laden or anyone associated with Al Quaeda or a terrorist network.
The problem is Dubya took his eyes off the ball there and focused on Saddam and Cheney's PNAC agenda instead.
As for supporting our troops? Yes you can support the troops but disagree with a war and you will rarely ever hear anybody who is liberal say anything negative about our troops.
On the other hand you have right wing whackos such as Reverend Phelps protesting the funerals of our fallen soldiers.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Sorry but these aren't Obama's wars but ones created by Bush and Cheney and his Halliburton cabal.
If Bush was a leader he wouldn't have dumped both wars unto Obama's lap which by the way we are starting to leave Iraq now thanks to Obama.
Iraq was a war of choice and gullible Americans bought into the lie that was WMDs and 4500 of our brave troops died for it.
I seriously don't know how Bush & Cheney are not in the Hague being tried for War crimes.
I did support Afghanistan because that was the base where the 9/11 attacks sprung from and I had no problem with getting Bin Laden or anyone associated with Al Quaeda or a terrorist network.
The problem is Dubya took his eyes off the ball there and focused on Saddam and Cheney's PNAC agenda instead.
As for supporting our troops? Yes you can support the troops but disagree with a war and you will rarely ever hear anybody who is liberal say anything negative about our troops.
On the other hand you have right wing whackos such as Reverend Phelps protesting the funerals of our fallen soldiers.

First let me say that I disagreed with the Iraq war from the get go, hell it got my brother killed and I do think we rushed into Iraq BUT Bush is not to blame solely. We had years of other countries and past Presidents telling him that Saddam had WMD's. It was not like he pulled it our his ass. Now that being said it IS Obama's issue now and he is responsible for handling it. You can not remove that from him. I will not say he is doing a bad job or a good job. It is war and it is never pleasant. I agree Bush should have focused on Afghanistan and not worried about Iraq but the bottom line is we would have had to done something about it at some point. As for Phelps the man is a sicko. He does not represent the right in any way at all.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:13 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,828 times
Quote:
Pretty simple.
Boatload of money? Then explain why my cousin had to go on food stamps to feed her first baby when her husband was in the service?

They should be paid much, much more.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM

720 posts, read 691,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I don't support wars or any of the US armed forces.

No really, I think I will just keep my opinion to myself about this comment! NO mayb not, you say you do not support the armed forces, well how about this, you don't get the right to freedom of speech anymore then! You do not get the right to choose your religion! Why do I say that? Because without our brave men and women you wouldn't have a pot to **** in !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies