Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
well it really doesnt matter now does it cause argueing on a internet website is not going to change anything.
Well, you're the one who said this:
i honestly dont think that this will ever be a law the courts will not allow it.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt that this was based on something other than what you really, really, really want to happen. Your non-answer, however, has actually answered my question quite clearly.

Quote:
it only looks promising but it is not a shoe in by any means either way.

Indeed. That's why, in the post to which you responded, I wrote this:
There are no guarantees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So what about those men who are infertile and those women who are barren? Are they not allowed to be married? Would you like to see a Constitutional amendment to ban infertile marriages.

Marriage was around way before man figured out infertility.
Who taught you different?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
The government has no business being involved in anyone's marriage- gay, straight or in between.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
haha...so back when the world was flat and was the center of the universe?

You don't even realize why your argument makes no sense.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Well, you're the one who said this:
i honestly dont think that this will ever be a law the courts will not allow it.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt that this was based on something other than what you really, really, really want to happen. Your non-answer, however, has actually answered my question quite clearly.

Indeed. That's why, in the post to which you responded, I wrote this:
There are no guarantees
well i really dont give a crap so- i am not goin to argue with you even though you are clearly baiting me to not gonna do it sorry. so go fight with someone else

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,493 times
Quote:

if you want to go that far back, marriage wasn't even adopted into religion at first.

Marriage was about property rights and who ends up with it. Originally, women were bartered to a man who had owned land or that womans' family had land.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
You haven't been paying attention. Various courts have mandated it to varying degrees (state courts in MA, CT, IA and CA, though subsequently reversed by referendum in the latter case) and a federal court has as well (the recent ruling in Perry v. Schwarzenegger) and other courts have allowed it where not mandated judicially (VT and NH).

But back to Perry v. Schwarzenegger. You think Judge Walker's ruling will be overturned? By which court? The Ninth Circuit? Really? Or perhaps the United States Supreme Court? Then please, tell us which of these five Justices will not vote to uphold Perry v. Schwarzenegger, and please explain why:

Breyer
Ginsberg
Sotomayor
Kagan
Kennedy

You can look at those five Justices anyway you want, but everything about the histories of those Justices suggests that they will uphold Perry v. Schwarzenegger.

Frankly, though I think it unlikely, I wouldn't even rule out Chief Justice Roberts joining the majority in such a case. There are no guarantees, but the future of this ruling looks promising if you actually consider the courts and individuals who will decide its fate.
If the anti same sex marriage crowd continue with their argument that marriage is only meant for couples who can "produce" biological children, it might not go down too well with Justice Kennedy who has 2 adopted children.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Marriage is a contract for procreation. Not co-habitation.

Gay marriage contracts, are a fraud. They are only needed to scam the system.
Just like you don't need a Marriage license to be devoted to another individual.

Marriage is a religious belief, nothing else. Since ALL Religions and scripture, even Mormon, reject and despise homosexual activity, there is no marriage between gays, under the eye of GOD.
The sanctuary of marriage has been smeared and trashed, as Government replaces God in our lives.
Then why do religious people bother to get a civil marriage license?

Just have a ceremony in your church and forget the license..

Won't make your marriage legal under the law though.
And you won't have any of the civil government benefits or protections - but you don't need those do you?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The government has no business being involved in anyone's marriage- gay, straight or in between.
So don't get a civil marriage license then. Simple.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
well i really dont give a crap so- i am not goin to argue with you even though you are clearly baiting me to not gonna do it sorry. so go fight with someone else
Clearly, you do care!

But thank you for tacitly conceding that you have no foundation for your "the courts won't allow it!" heel-tapping wish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies