Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Rush Limbaugh Tells Hungry Children to Dumpster Dive

audio here, with long intro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yeah, I don't want kids to have to dumpster dive, but their parents, hey, there are jobs that they just don't want to do.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yeah, I don't want kids to have to dumpster dive, but their parents, hey, there are jobs that they just don't want to do.
These ones laid off of late, the subjects of the thread?

Their kids are different, right

Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
These ones laid off of late, the subjects of the thread?

Their kids are different, right
No, the ones that have been on food stamps forever, and don't need them. Like a few select family members of mine.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
No, the ones that have been on food stamps forever, and don't need them. Like a few select family members of mine.
Nothing like the voice of experience, and that is not a derogatory comment toward you. I agree with your posts.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
If they have 8 kids, and can't support them, then they are being neglectful.

Two people working at McDonalds can make 40K a year. If both parents worked, and took advantage of government child care during the times they're at work, then they'd make enough to care for their family.

Otherwise, they are being neglectful parents, IMO.

I know that a lot of people who are on food stamps need them. I'm just saying that the system is abused a lot, and should be reformed.
Government child care? Wassat?

Assuming that two parents could both work full-time at fast food can be a pretty big assumption. Many companies are not offering full-time so that they are not required to offer benefits.

Any system that exists is abused by someone. What we should be doing is funding the programs enough that reports of abuse can be seriously investigated. Of course, then you have people who see someone buying steak on an EBT and assuming it's food stamps ... The false reporting would be absolutely as much of an abuse as people who are cheating to get food stamps.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Aw, Rush is such a softie!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Government child care? Wassat?

Assuming that two parents could both work full-time at fast food can be a pretty big assumption. Many companies are not offering full-time so that they are not required to offer benefits.

Any system that exists is abused by someone. What we should be doing is funding the programs enough that reports of abuse can be seriously investigated. Of course, then you have people who see someone buying steak on an EBT and assuming it's food stamps ... The false reporting would be absolutely as much of an abuse as people who are cheating to get food stamps.
I know of at least 7 fast food restaurants within 20 miles of me that are hiring full time employees. I know economic conditions are different in different places, but I can only speak for what I see. And the economy in NW Florida SUCKS.

There is government childcare, if needed. They'll either refund the money you have to spend, or part of it depending on your situation, and there is always parents and grandparents. I can find a good baby sitter on a week night for the entire night for 30 bucks.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I know of at least 7 fast food restaurants within 20 miles of me that are hiring full time employees. I know economic conditions are different in different places, but I can only speak for what I see. And the economy in NW Florida SUCKS.

There is government childcare, if needed. They'll either refund the money you have to spend, or part of it depending on your situation, and there is always parents and grandparents. I can find a good baby sitter on a week night for the entire night for 30 bucks.
That's nice - except that child care is expensive - more than what a fast food worker makes working full time (especially if you are talking about more than one kid). In order to get reimbursed for it, you have to pay it out in the first place.

Also, fast food won't hire people who are too educated or have lots of specialized experience. There are tons of teens and young uneducated (as in nothing beyond high school) people out there who will do that work for that kind of pay. So if you lost your engineering job due to outsourcing or downsizing, McDonald's likely won't hire you.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That's nice - except that child care is expensive - more than what a fast food worker makes working full time (especially if you are talking about more than one kid). In order to get reimbursed for it, you have to pay it out in the first place.

Also, fast food won't hire people who are too educated or have lots of specialized experience. There are tons of teens and young uneducated (as in nothing beyond high school) people out there who will do that work for that kind of pay. So if you lost your engineering job due to outsourcing or downsizing, McDonald's likely won't hire you.
I've got a friend back home with a BA, and he is working drive through at Hardees.

They'll hire anyone.

As I said, you can get government assistance to cover the entire cost of your childcare, or part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies