Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we continue the Alcohol Ban on San Diego Beaches ?
YES 47 40.17%
NO 70 59.83%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times

Advertisements

In the upcoming November election, San Diegans will be voting on whether to ban alcohol on it's public beaches.

A temporary alcohol ban was enforced during summer 2008 in response to a riot in Pacific Beach which occured on Labor Day 2007. The riot occured on the beach near Reed St, several blocks south of Crystal Pier, which is an area where huge crowds of thousands of college students typically gather on the beach to drink and party.

Below is a link to a website which has a video of the 2007 PB riot:

SafeBeaches.org: Multimedia Gallery

Now that a full summer has passed since the ban went into effect, San Diegans have had the opportunity to see the difference our beaches have been without the presence of alcohol.

Please vote YES or NO in my above poll, to say whether you agree with keeping the ban in place, or would rather allow alcohol back on our beaches.

If you choose to add comments to this thread, please be POLITE and NON-CONFRONTATIONAL. This is a hot-button issue, and it's very easy to turn this thread into a heated argument, which will result in the thread being closed. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
SD was famous for allowing alcohol on its beaches. It's unfortunate that the actions of a few had alcohol banned for eveyone. I think a better idea is to allow alcohol on certain beaches, but declare others "family beaches" and not allow it. this way, everyone is happy.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM

19 posts, read 96,695 times
I vote for the ban.
I don't really enjoy seeing and hearing drunk loud people especially those who assault others on the beach where I should be relaxing. I don't really need to drink alcohol to fulfill my day. (That's just me.)

Old 09-26-2008, 03:01 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,153,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryana View Post
I vote for the ban.
I don't really enjoy seeing and hearing drunk loud people especially those who assault others on the beach where I should be relaxing. I don't really need to drink alcohol to fulfill my day. (That's just me.)
What we should have is some beaches and parks where alcohol is allowed and some where it's banned. This way everyone will be happy.

There's nothing wrong with having a cold beer at the beach on a sunny day.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,321 times
I'm undecided so I can't vote.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Alrighty then, here we go again I guess....

First, it's pretty unfair and biased how you present this thread. You have a poll yet try to steer people in a certain direction by only presenting your point of view and a link to an website that supports your opinion. It would be nice if you could at least show links to both sides of the argument

freepb.org - Free Parks and Beaches for San Diego
No on Prop D - No on the City Wide Permanent Alcohol Ban at San Diego Beaches and Parks, Proposition D

Second, it wasn't a riot at all or anything close to a riot. No one was injured and only around 16 people were arrested and the whole thing was over in less than an hour. Compare that to REAL RIOTS where people die and it lasts a whole day to as long as a week.

3rd, I'm going to present my points below. RD5050 if you honestly feel like arguing about what I've said before go ahead but you know what it leads to. You've stated your case already so just let me state my opinion and if you really need to bust my balls about all these things we've discussed already then DM me or something. I'm tired of arguing about this honestly but will state my opinion anyways..

-There are over 30 laws that prohibit illegal activities at the beach and those laws need to be enforced instead of creating more and more new laws that restrict people's FREEDOMS. San Diego is already one of the worse cities for exercising personal freedoms: What's the Matter With Chicago?: and Seattle and New York and Boston...? - Reason Magazine

-The beach is for everyone, and that EVERYONE includes those that like to consume alcohol responsibly. 99.9% of beach goers do not ever get in trouble for alcohol related offenses. The vast majority of people that choose to consume alcohol at the beach have always done so in a responsible manner.

- Beach attendance is DOWN from last year. This ban has not worked and has reduced beach attendance along with critical revenue and income for local businesses. People didn't start flocking to the beaches after the ban and in fact the opposite occurred, LESS people went to our beaches this summer

- San Diego's economy is heavily dependent on tourism and the last thing we should be doing is giving people an excuse not to come to San Diego. Several tourists have written letters to the Beach and Bay Press expressing how they will not return to San Diego for vacation b/c of the ban. People go on vacation to relax AND have fun, we need to make our beaches inviting to EVERYONE and ALL TYPES.

- There is primarily ONE SPOT that drunkeness and rowdiness was a major problem at, that was the area around Reed St as most people are aware of. The vast majority of PB and MB were not problems. Go anywhere north of the Pier or the Lifeguard Tower at the end of Grand or south of Tower 20/21 and it was as peaceful and quiet as it is today. No need for a blanket ban when one areas was the main trouble spot. Parents don't take their kids to the French Quarter during Mardi Gras and instead are Uptown, people need to use the same common sense in their judgment and not take their kids to Reed St, which is pretty much what families already did.

- There are 70+ miles of coastline in San Diego where alcohol is not a problem and never was. There is nothing stopping people from frequenting those beaches

- Pacific Beach is what it is whether or not you agree or like it's lifestyle and atmosphere or not. If you want a quiet beach experience then going to an URBAN BEACH neighborhood is not the place for that. People do not go to Waikiki or South Beach to relax in a quiet setting. Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are San Diego's version of Waikiki and South Beach. I understand a lot of people don't like PB for what it is, but guess what? Many in PB do not like boring San Diego suburbia for what it is either. People here don't go into suburban neighborhoods trying to impose their beliefs and lifestyles on others so what gives others from outside the community the right to do the same?? To each their own and we should try to maintain the DIVERSITY of neighborhoods in SD instead of trying to make them all like boring, North County suburbs.

- The world does not revolve around families and their children. I like children and respect that some area should be family friendly for kids BUT there are already plenty of areas like that in San Diego. Coronado was named #1 family beach in the US by the Travel Channel. Pretty much every inch of sand away from Reed St in family friendly. 89% of households in the 92109 zip code (PB and MB) do not have children. 67% of all households in the city of San Diego do not have children. Therefor I don't appreciate politicians and Prop D backers holding up their children to try to get support, that "its for the children" argument is really old and hypocritical b/c you all should remember what it's like to be young hopefully. A lot of people that enjoyed PB in their youth are older now and forget what they were like at that age and are being hypocritical.

- Just enforce EXISTING laws and none of this will be a problem\

Below are recommendations of the Beach Alcohol Task force, none of which support a ban:

http://www.noonpropd.org/docs/2007_B...mendations.pdf

That is my view on this issue and you can try to argue any of my points but I am sticking with what I posted

Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM

30 posts, read 154,080 times
This is a good article in the reader

San Diego Reader | Booze Ban Driving Homeless Inland?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
So far it's 2-1 to remove the ban

Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 PM

19 posts, read 96,695 times
When you have drunk, loud, uncontrollable people around you, it just ruins everybody's day. People are scary when they start drinking. Without the alcohol ban, I see the SD beach as a hangout for drunk rowdy troublemakers. It just makes the beach look like trash. Drinking has this effect on people that makes them scary, loud and obnoxious regardless of the number of drinks. If you want to drink, go to a bar/restaurant near the beach and drink there, then go to the beach if you can still drive or walk. Now if you are thinking of a nice romantic drink at the beach with wine and table with 2 chairs, that would be nice. But there are more rowdy beach goers than people who are out there for a romantic time on the beach drinking their champagne.

"San Diego was one of only a handful of places in Southern California that still allowed drinking at beaches." per the article at
San Diego councilman proposes alcohol ban after beach brawl : North County Times - Californian (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09/05/news/sandiego/12_26_329_4_07.txt - broken link)

Last edited by Ryana; 09-26-2008 at 06:38 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 07:13 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Regarding Reed St ....

The main reason huge crowds of college students go specifically to Reed St to drink and party as opposed to other sections of the PB beach is because of the abundance of restrooms, street parking, and restaurants at that exact location.

No other section of PB or MB offers any of these three necessities, except for the Belmont Park area in Mission Beach.

Most of the remaining areas of PB and MB beaches have very minimal street parking, and no restrooms whatsoever.

To me, I believe it is very unfair that the drinking and partying college crowd often dominates this highly desirable section of the PB beach.

Another reason they go Reed St is because it doesn't require you to climb up/down a steep cliff to access the beach, like they would have to do north of Crystal Pier.

So I believe families and quiet sunbathers want to use this same section of PB beach for the exact same reasons I mentioned above, and these families and sunbathers then have to deal with the excessive noise and other issues created by the huge college drinking and partying crowd.

Last edited by RD5050; 09-26-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies