Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:39 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Thank you - I really did know all of this, but in changing computers several times in the last decade, I've lost all of the links I had accumulated. I had a friend who used to post links to stories of his church - Greek Orthodox - and a pair of married homosexual saints from about the 12th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 PM

396 posts, read 733,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Thank you - I really did know all of this, but in changing computers several times in the last decade, I've lost all of the links I had accumulated. I had a friend who used to post links to stories of his church - Greek Orthodox - and a pair of married homosexual saints from about the 12th century.
I'm assuming he meant St. Sergius and St. Bacchus.

It's been speculated that they were a homosexual couple based on an icon supposedly depicting them being married by Christ. I don't know if I buy that or not.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,992,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Me neither. I did find it interesting that those posters in favor of this were quick to jump on the Mormans and multiple wives when that was brought up. If you are not going to discriminate types of marriages, then it must be done across the board so as not to discriminate. What is good for one group must be good for all groups. If you want equality then it must be applied equally.
No. I see you have either either ignored or failed to understand what I pointed out about rational basis.

As I explained, Perry v. Schwarzenegger does not compel recognition of polygamous marriages any more than Loving v. Virginia does.

You are employing the rhetorical technique known as the Slippery Slope Fallacy:
Slippery slope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you are saying is:
The logic of supporting same-sex marriages means we will ultimately have to support polygamous marriages as an application of the same logic.

But as is classically known, this is a fallacy. Nonetheless, many people often cite the Slippery Slope Fallacy as a rhetorical device. Gun control advocates are fond of it. Their use of it goes something like this:
"So you say the right to bear arms means you get to own a handgun? Fine, but if you want the right to bear arms that has to stand for all arms for everyone. Machine guns, anti-aircraft missiles, nuclear weapons, all of them! The right to bear arms means the right for all people for all arms!".

Of course, the argument that the right to bear arms must logically apply to anti-aircraft missiles if it applies to handguns is as baseless as your stated argument that one can't logically identify a Constitutional right the same-sex marriage unless one also identifies such a right to polygamous marriages.

Now, I would by very sympathetic to an argument for legalizing polygamous marriages, but not for the reasons you cite. Rather, I do not see prohibitions on polygamous marriages passing the rational basis test.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'm not an ignorant christian nor an uber conservative. I just don't happen to think that paraphilias should be mainstreamed as normal.
Homosexuality is a "paraphilia"?

Opinions like that are sounding more and more ridiculous with each day that passes.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
But now that homosexuals are becoming more and more acceptable, can we stop with the act now? The talking, the hand gestures. Good for you, youre gay. But is it really important for you to go out of your way to make it known that youre gay? There is no way in hell, that the gays that do chose to talk and act that way, are doing it naturally. Its an act. Be proud of who you but we really dont need the silly stupid act.
Whether certain gays act flamboyant or not really isn't up for you to decide.

I've noticed that some Southern men purposefully lower their voices and speak with a stronger accent than I think is necessary, but I wouldn't tell them to stop acting that way just because I don't like it.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,277,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
#1. you can slice and dice up the "interracial thing" as many ways as you want, it's still male with female.
and was illegal for many years in this country.
also, being a Chinese iMmigrant for a time, meant that you could never attain citizenship.
And African americans were slaves.

What's your point?

Quote:
#2. there were interracial marriages in this nation in the 1700's that's a fact it's documented.
And was made illegal in this country. Things change. It was accepted for a time, then it wasn't accepted. now its accepted.

What's your point?

Quote:
#3. homosexuals have never been accepted in any society and with this marriage thing around different states in the USA they are still not accepted by mainstream society, no matter how they try to take the paraphilia aspect away from their lifestyle it's still abnormal.
100% unequivocally false. Over 20 countries recognized Homosexuality as a normal behavior and have legalized same sex marriages.

And if you want to deal with history, Greeks actually didn't mind homsexuality and practiced it often and often felt that it was NORMAL to engage in SAME sex activity to keep healthy.

Plato equated homosexuality as important as democracy.

you know that MAJOR event called the Olympics? The athletes in Greece were prevented to take up "relations" with women so they could train, so the greek athletes were one of the many that took up sex with the same gender.

History provides facts; not rhetoric.

Quote:
it will take generations and a lot of brainwashing of the children to make it normal but i have a feeling it will never be.
your bigotry and ignorance is noted

Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 AM

813 posts, read 2,033,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Just to add something not based on marriage but dealing with gays:

If you are a man, and you find out sometime in your life that you like men and want to do certain things with them, there's something just not right in your brain. But okay, you cant help it. Thats fine. I think its weird and strange and frankly, disgusting, but its your life. Do what you want. But now that homosexuals are becoming more and more acceptable, can we stop with the act now? The talking, the hand gestures. Good for you, youre gay. But is it really important for you to go out of your way to make it known that youre gay? There is no way in hell, that the gays that do chose to talk and act that way, are doing it naturally. Its an act. Be proud of who you but we really dont need the silly stupid act.
Every subset of society has these so-called "acts." It's all a part of social constructivism and how we as individuals project our identities to be the most comfortable in our social settings. Down here in the South, a prevalent act for many white, straight men who like to present an idealized rustic, hyper-masculine image is to ride around in large trucks with massive wheels that serve no logical purpose. These trucks are often found adorned with sagging testicle ornaments and peeing Calvin decals. What is it going to take for this "silly stupid act" to cease?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Every subset of society has these so-called "acts." It's all a part of social constructivism and how we as individuals project our identities to be the most comfortable in our social settings. Down here in the South, a prevalent act for many white, straight men who like to present an idealized rustic, hyper-masculine image is to ride around in large trucks with massive wheels that serve no logical purpose. These trucks are often found adorned with sagging testicle ornaments and peeing Calvin decals. What is it going to take for this "silly stupid act" to cease?
Maybe when you can fit a bale of hay and some 2x4x8 boards and all your tools in the trunk of a volt as well as tow a trailer ?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 AM

813 posts, read 2,033,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe when you can fit a bale of hay and some 2x4x8 boards and all your tools in the trunk of a volt as well as tow a trailer ?
Ah, so tossing hay is what these guys who live on a half acre, suburban cul-de-sac lot spend their weekends doing! I can see why anyone who takes on such a manly activity would want a shiny pair of metal balls hanging from their trailer hitch. But I'm a little concerned. Wouldn't the four foot lift kit and monster tires make getting the tools and tossing the hay be quite the daunting tasks?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Whether certain gays act flamboyant or not really isn't up for you to decide.

I've noticed that some Southern men purposefully lower their voices and speak with a stronger accent than I think is necessary, but I wouldn't tell them to stop acting that way just because I don't like it.
Theres this huge party every year, maybe they've heard of it. Where straight people dress in weird costumes, and act in a very flamboyant manner. Sure, there are some homosexuals there too, but lets be honest, most of these people are straight.

And I left out some of the most flamboyant pictures. Thing is, you go to a NFL football game, MLB game, Talladega, or any other major sporting event, guess what, you see the same kind of straight people, dressing in the same kind of costumes.

Funny how people live with blinders on when they hate someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies