Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Snide, right. Pot, meet kettle.

Thank you for pointing out that this country is in exactly the mess we are because of the manipulation of the law by lawyers with an agenda and their virtual castration of the Constitution by the legal precedents that have, year after year, whittled away from the original intend of our founders.
And what was the original 'intend' of the founders on this issue?

An excellent reference was provided in one of the other threads on this subject. Here is a brief snippet:

"Campaigning for religious freedom in Virginia, Jefferson followed Locke, his idol, in demanding recognition of the religious rights of the "Mahamdan," the Jew and the "pagan." Supporting Jefferson was his old ally, Richard Henry Lee, who had made a motion in Congress on June 7, 1776, that the American colonies declare independence. "True freedom," Lee asserted, "embraces the Mahomitan and the Gentoo (Hindu) as well as the Christian religion.""

The Founding Fathers and Islam (May 2002) - Library of Congress Information Bulletin

So, just who is it that is misconstruing the Founders' intent?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Exactly what it says. That anyone that has given it any thought understands why it happened.

Understanding the reasons is not the same as agreeing with those reasons, and I for one am getting pretty sick of being labeled a "traitor" just because I have an education.

It is a sleazy, dishonest and logically fallacious tactic that I see the Right employ on these threads (and all over the Internet) every day.

And when I see it, I'm going to point out how sleazy and illogical it is.
I dont think your traitor because you have an education. Just a dolt for supporting the Community Organizer in Chief.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Do you condone September 11th or just understand the barbarians reasoning behind it?
I condemn every pointless act of violence including 9/11, including the war
in Iraq etc.
Why do Americans think they are the only victims? As terrible as 9/11 was, people in Iraq have lost family members,too, and no one gives a s*** in the US. Stop getting involved in every corner of the world. Change your foreign policies! Terrorism is growing because of your foreign policies.

Last edited by Pamky; 08-17-2010 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
You support gay marriage so of course you would pull one of the few Conservatives/Republicans that back this court decision. That he argued for gay marriage only strengthens your support. Now tell us what you think about every other Conservative principle that Ted Olsen supports. Are you as eager to support him or are you just using him to further your arguement?
Any real conservative should be in favor of it. Who the hell is the government to tell people that they cannot get married just because they are of the same sex?

How is that the government's business?

You claim to be conservative, but when it comes to regulating the behavior of others when that behavior doesn't affect your rights at all, you all suddenly become huge fans of government regulation.

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Thanks for fixing that, it's close to what I really meant. I think that some fail to realize is that Islam requires submission to Islamic law... Shari'a Law.

But then, I get the idea that if Bush is not a Muslim then Islam is okay with them.
I get the idea that when people don't have a substantive argument to make, they think snarky remarks are an adequate substitute. They think wrongly.

Our country's foundation, our Constitution, is quite adequate to deal with any challenges by Sharia proponents. People who are afraid of Sharia Law really are people who are afraid of the Constitution.

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
What of it? It's probably a good way to resolve the issue.

Selling state land to a religious institution isn't necessarily a problem. I see it happen all the time. Now if the state made a practice to sell only to some religions and not others...then that is a problem.

Just selling property to a religious group doesn't create a sufficient governmental nexus. There would have to be something more.
I'm not throwing in the towel. I'm waiting for you to provide some emperical data showing that state land is sold to "religious institution[s]" "all the time."

The impetus is on you since you've made it your entire defense. Now pony up.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Does this fear mongering get tiring? Ever? Seriously now. sheesh.

Enjoy the photos of the blocks surrounding ground zero and especially this guy's opinion on the bottom of the page.

"Hallowed Ground" | History Eraser Button

Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
I condone every pointless act of violence including 9/11, including the war
in Iraq etc.
Why do Americans think they are the only victims? As terrible as 9/11 was, people in Iraq have lost family members,too, and no one gives a s*** in the US. Stop getting involved in every corner of the world. Change your foreign policies! Terrorism is growing because of your foreign policies.
On this I fully agree with you. We meddle in far too may international affairs. We should immediately STOP all foreign aid unless it directly relates to a natural disater.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just as in the case of NY muslims have been praying and holding services in the Pentagon for years, why is that not considered an affront to the victims from the Pentagon, where was all the congressional outrage?
Because the talking heads on the right have not yet told their listeners that it is a big deal.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:32 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Did she say she did?

Seriously.
Thank You. Some people think you automatically support terrorism because you don't believe the Bush/Cheney BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies