Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
wow. I can't believe what i just read. What is this, 1930s Europe? To the conservatives out there, try reading this: Go and learn what this means:

How do you say you believe this, yet want to stop a specific group from excercising their religion?? You say obama isn't obeying the constitution, well, what part is he violating? And 70% of americans oppose this. So what? The public can believe unconstitutional things too, you know, the way most americans supported discrimination long ago.

Is it insensitive to build there? Maybe. But mayor bloomberg cannot deny their request just because they're muslim. You can't cherry pick the bill of rights. And frankly, some of the posts here smack of fascism and far right bigotry.

Reason i'm not conservative # 791
I for one am glad you are not!

Maybe???? Maybe insensitive???

[

How many times do we have to say that we get the religious freedom issue!!!??

No! This is not 1930's Germany!! That's why they got their APPROVAL to do this thing!!! Get off your friggin high horse for a minute!!

The issue is this: If you see how this is adversely effecting thousands of the your fellow human beings to build this thing on THIS spot (out of all the spots on the planet) why don't you really create some "good will" and move to another NY site!! It's the humane thing to do!!! But as par for the course....islam has a real shortage on "humane".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/12/ar2010081204996.html (broken link)

Quote:
A place is made sacred by a widespread belief that it was visited by the miraculous or the transcendent (Lourdes, the temple mount), by the presence there once of great nobility and sacrifice (gettysburg), or by the blood of martyrs and the indescribable suffering of the innocent (Auschwitz).

When we speak of ground zero as hallowed ground, what we mean is that it belongs to those who suffered and died there -- and that such ownership obliges us, the living, to preserve the dignity and memory of the place, never allowing it to be forgotten, trivialized or misappropriated.

That's why disney's 1993 proposal to build an american history theme park near manassas battlefield was defeated by a broad coalition that feared vulgarization of the civil war (and that was wiser than me; at the time i obtusely saw little harm in the venture). It's why the commercial viewing tower built right on the border of gettysburg was taken down by the park service. It's why, while no one objects to japanese cultural centers, the idea of putting one up at pearl harbor would be offensive.

And why pope John Paul II ordered the Carmelite nuns to leave the convent they had established at Auschwitz. He was in no way devaluing their heartfelt mission to pray for the souls of the dead. He was teaching them a lesson in respect: This is not your place; it belongs to others. However pure your voice, better to let silence reign.

Islam seems to know nothing of RESPECT.

Last edited by citizenkane2; 08-14-2010 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 06:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
Great job, Mr. President. You'll certainly be getting my vote again in 2012.

Sorry, republicans, but religious intolerance is unconstitutional.
(R) by my name and I agree 100 percent ......except for the vote for Obama part

Old 08-14-2010, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
I guess following this sort of attitude that one would have to say the founding fathers were a disgrace when they wrote freedom of religion into the principles of this nation- or in your mind does this exclude any religion that does not have Jesus as thier posterchild- those that attack or condemn all muslims because of the actions of some fringe lunatics just show their small mindedness and bigotry-

and as for the attack on 'his free money spending wife'- that just is so silly- right wingers are always claiming that one who has money due to their hard work and capitalistic system rewards should not be punished for being successful, yet when a mother who has risen through struggles early in her career, and who has become rich and successful because of her intelligence and professionalism-and when she decides to spend some of that money on a vacation for her and her daughter, then you right wingers get all red in the face and sputter out mindless attacks on her-so only republicans can be rich and spend money on them selves? and dont bother citing all of the things that cost money due to security issues while she was on the vacation-that is part of being first family members-just think back to the extravagant lifestyle that the Reagans lived while they were in the early part of their terms-no right wingers cried out how they should not do this or how insensitive or 'marie antuanette' it was for them to do so-i really hate the right wing double standards that pop up all the time- i see this double standard on the left too, so save your breath there too-
Talking out of both sides of their mouth. Asking the American people to "make sacrifices" due to the state of the economy and then taking a friend on such an extravagent trip. She could have taken her friend out for dinner or spent the day with her. This is why people are up in arms over the cost of the security for this trip. This was not necessary! If she were a private citizen and spending their money for this trip, I'd say go for it. Kind of hard to swallow with all the people suffering in this country partly due to his policies. Again, another slap in the face to the American people by the elite Obama's.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:59 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
This thread is filled with racist responses. If it were a Jewish Temple or Christian Church, none of you would be saying anything. So hypocritical.
HELLO! What did the Jews or Christians have to do with the events of 9/11?

Thanks for the crystal-clear illustration of liberal bigotry, a particularly clueless one.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
The youtube video wouldn't load, so I'll respond to the rest.

1. No, I don't think you get the religious freedom thing. If the NYC authorities had denied their request, you'd be dancing in the streets. If he did the same for a church you'd be p***ed.

2. My horse isn't that high. Excuse me for using the first amendment against you. Just quoting the founders. If you don't like it, take it up with them.

3. After listening to talk radio fascists and others on the right I'm convinced that this isn't motivated by high sounding "we want to honor the victims of 9/11". (the victims' families might though) Instead, I think it veils a hatred for islam itself that almost borders on bigotry. I'm no fan of islam, you can't say "you shouldn't be allowed to build here" because you're a muslim.

4. With due respect to Krauthammer, by the sacred ground argument, this center is a couple of blocks from ground zero. Something else would have been built on that spot anyway--an office tower, maybe. It's not like they're building it on ground zero, like the theme park at Manassas or the convent at Auschwitz.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
(R) by my name and I agree 100 percent ......except for the vote for Obama part

Intolerance never seems to be hurled in the direction of the religion that created that hole in the ground!! WHY IS THAT?? WHY?? Why can we continue to see Honor Killings of beautiful young girls and noses of women cleaved from their faces and military personel shooting their fellow troops and never hear INTOLERANCE directed at them??? No.....THEY ARE BEING INTOLERANT OF THE FEELINGS OF THOUSANDS WHO LOST LOVED ONES THERE!

AGAIN....since you guys seem to ignore this!! NO ONE IS SAYING DON'T BUILD YOUR FRIKKIN' MOSQUE! JUST NOT THERE!!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Wow. I can't believe what I just read. What is this, 1930s Europe? To the conservatives out there, try reading this: go and learn what this means:
Perhaps you need to go and learn the meaning of the free exercise clause yourself. It states that Congress...........not the states.........can make no law, etc.........
Actually, a state (or municipality, for that matter) naming a religion would be perfectly constitutional, but the federal government cannot do it.

Another reason you may not be conservative #792: lack of training in the Constitution?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Muslims were not responsible for 911, terrorists were. It was terrorists that professed the Muslim religion, but they were not Muslim, just as there are a lot who profess to be Christian, that are not.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Muslims were not responsible for 911, terrorists were. It was terrorists that professed the Muslim religion, but they were not Muslim, just as there are a lot who profess to be Christian, that are not.
Don't give me that crap! This Iman is considered very MUSLIM! And our stinkin' administration is flyin' him around on our taxpayer dime!! And this guy said we asked for it!! THIS IMAM SAID THIS!! So I ask you...IS HE A TRUE MUSLIM??

Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Don't give me that crap! This Iman is considered very MUSLIM! And our stinkin' administration is flyin' him around on our taxpayer dime!! And this guy said we asked for it!! THIS IMAM SAID THIS!! So I ask you...IS HE A TRUE MUSLIM??
If he said this, it has nothing to do with his religion, it would be an irrational comment, much like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies