Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't understand the opposition. It seems very narrow-minded to me.

If it had been Christian men who flew those airplanes into the World Trade Center, would there suddenly be opposition to a Christian community center in Lower Manhattan? I doubt it.
What would happen to a man who makes a picture of mohammad with dung on him in a major museem for all to see?
That happened to jesus in the 90s and the problem that came from it was that christian groups protested that the government shouldnt fund it because it was offensive. But guess what no one was threated to be killed and no one died.
Like it or not radical islam(which is a lot greater of the population of islam then most would like to admite) is at war with america. You liberals who are defending them would be the first to be killed by them. Look at what happened in afghanistan where those christians were killed trying to help those people. I am not christian by the way and I feel christianity is being attacked.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
Quote:
When we do not like a foreign adversary, we tend to denigrate them in strong, sometimes nearly apocalyptic terms. One less desirable aspect of democracy is that it seems to require serious demonization of the enemy if the nation and public opinion are to be galvanized sufficiently to pay a serious price in blood or treasure at war. And the message as to why we are in confrontation or at war must be simplified enough to fit on a bumper sticker.

In today’s world, "Islam" has become that bumper sticker for America, the default cause of many of our problems in the Muslim world.
Excerpt: 'A World Without Islam'
by Graham E. Fuller, former CIA official
In 'A World Without Islam,' Not Much Would Change : NPR

Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You do realize that the Christian bible says you're supposed to kill non believers, and you'll be rewarded for that as well, right? Or have you read the book?
Which has what to do with anything that's alive and well and practiced in the 2000's...or was in the 1900's or 1800's?

Who's head was that beat into? Do you know people who are Christian and shoot the Jehova knocking on their door? Who does that?

You're confusing a bunch of out-dated crap that isn't a HUGE focus for the Christian religion. Not to be taken LITERALLY, unlike the crazy Mulsim faction that lives by every word of their "book" and has no problem living in 900AD in 2010, let alone 2001, 1995 or 1885 or 1765....

Quote:
The fact is, lunatics will use anything, even things that others say is the word of God, but know that it isn't, to kill people.
And the lunatics of WHICH religion are living for their book word for word...to the point of being a very REAL threat to any country? They could care LESS how much you embrace the muslims who aren't going to jihad themselves, or kill their daughter for getting raped or "being too American" b/c she wore a tank-top so Daddy ran her over with his car (some old-school islamic issue) - as shown by the muslims who were killed by their fellow muslims on 9/11. .

So don't compare.

Where are the Christian's in the 2000's who are heavily supported for thinking like stone-age *******s? Who are they and who is supporting them?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Whatever Americans value and hold near and dear, there you'll find him.........on the other side.
This is shockingly true.

Never in the history of this country have we had a president where a large segment of the population questions his loyalty and love of country.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How can anyone watch these videos and think building a mosque within the shadow of those towers is a good idea?

For some odd reason, the Left and obama feel the need to capitulate and appease the wishes of the muslims.

Sorry, I don't feel they deserve the privilege of erecting anything within spitting distance of that site.

What have these so called moderate muslims done to condemn their radical brothers? Nothing, they've done nothing. The are more likely to blame the US for the attack.

And the imam behind this project - he is a radical, tied to mid-east extremist, and we should welcome his monument of that day?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times
The mosque is being built a few blocks away. It's not like it's right on the 9/11 site or right next to it. If the president had said no, then all the Islamic people would revolt and we would find ourselves in a worse situation.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't understand the opposition. It seems very narrow-minded to me.

If it had been Christian men who flew those airplanes into the World Trade Center, would there suddenly be opposition to a Christian community center in Lower Manhattan? I doubt it.

But they didn't, did they?

Christians also didn't bomb a marine barrack and the towers back in the 90's or the USS Cole , did they?

If is a big word.

What collective and well funded and well supported Christian group of morons is a very real threat (not to piddly personal feelings about abortion and gay marriage) to anyone? Including the US military?

Why don't you stick with facts as opposed to throwing in your red herring.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
The mosque is being built a few blocks away. It's not like it's right on the 9/11 site or right next to it. If the president had said no, then all the Islamic people would revolt and we would find ourselves in a worse situation.

To make it simple for a SoCal person: it's disrespectful. At minimum.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Since when is the decision obama's to make? Church/State and all that.

So.....we should let them build it to appease the muslim world? We should let them erect a symbol of their victory that day, the day they killed 3000 Americans, just so as not to make them mad?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How can anyone watch these videos and think building a mosque within the shadow of those towers is a good idea?

For some odd reason, the Left and obama feel the need to capitulate and appease the wishes of the muslims.

Sorry, I don't feel they deserve the privilege of erecting anything within spitting distance of that site.

What have these so called moderate muslims done to condemn their radical brothers? Nothing, they've done nothing. The are more likely to blame the US for the attack.

And the imam behind this project - he is a radical, tied to mid-east extremist, and we should welcome his monument of that day?

Man...you beat me to it! I was gonna post the video again, too! Know what our problem is??? WE ARE TOO FAR REMOVED FROM THE INCIDENT. It has faded and now comfort has set in.

Tell me....(someone who thinks this is a great idea) would it be okay to build a Mosque in this spot a year after 911?? Two years maybe??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies