Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM

744 posts, read 1,848,455 times

Advertisements

I mean it has taken me awhile to realize that politics and politicians are a lot of the time just silly. To the Democrats the Republicans are what is wrong with this country and the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, to the Republicans the Democrats are what is wrong with this country and are the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, and too many people still fall for this "vote for me and I will set you free" promise with politicians. Most recently it has been with Barack Obama.
Many of the people who support Obama act like he is the messiah sent down from above to save the world while the people who don't support Obama act like he is the antichrist sent up from Satan himself. I mean c'mon people. These politicians are still human beings no matter what side of the aisle they sit on and they can't reign down eternal happiness and turn this world into a utopia. There have always been good and bad points about this world and there will always will be. You are responsible for your own happiness, not other people. I know there are still going to be people who won't listen to this and will still go into the voting booth and vote straight-ticket for whatever party they support, which is why we are in the mess we are in right now. Just because someone has a D or an R next to their name doesn't mean they are fit for the job and NONE of them can bring you some utopian world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,900 times
It's the oldest trick in the book, but it still works: Divide and conquer. Most people will fall for this their entire lives; from the cradle to the grave without ever knowing how the world truly works.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
It's the oldest trick in the book, but it still works: Divide and conquer. Most people will fall for this their entire lives; from the cradle to the grave without ever knowing how the world truly works.

Sad

Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM

27,160 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Puppetmasters make the world go 'round.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Only if you are a puppet!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I mean it has taken me awhile to realize that politics and politicians are a lot of the time just silly. To the Democrats the Republicans are what is wrong with this country and the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, to the Republicans the Democrats are what is wrong with this country and are the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, and too many people still fall for this "vote for me and I will set you free" promise with politicians. Most recently it has been with Barack Obama.
Many of the people who support Obama act like he is the messiah sent down from above to save the world while the people who don't support Obama act like he is the antichrist sent up from Satan himself. I mean c'mon people. These politicians are still human beings no matter what side of the aisle they sit on and they can't reign down eternal happiness and turn this world into a utopia. There have always been good and bad points about this world and there will always will be. You are responsible for your own happiness, not other people. I know there are still going to be people who won't listen to this and will still go into the voting booth and vote straight-ticket for whatever party they support, which is why we are in the mess we are in right now. Just because someone has a D or an R next to their name doesn't mean they are fit for the job and NONE of them can bring you some utopian world.
I guess I am not one of the bad guys since I never vote a straight ticket except at primaries where there is no way to vote for anybody of the other party. I vote for the man/woman not the party.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
In the end all politicians are money hungry egomaniacs, just some worse then others. All promise they'll lower taxes, never raise them, bring the country to where it needs to be bla, bla, but rarely do they follow throw. Big business has gotten their fangs so deep in the government they are the ones calling the shots, not the politicians.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Only if you are a puppet!
Off Topic, judging from your posts on here you are a puppet of the Democratic party and Obama, so don't talk.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:21 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Off Topic, judging from your posts on here you are a puppet of the Democratic party and Obama, so don't talk.
Unbiased thread until you jumped in. Ding ding ding! Stupidity goes to the republicans!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
In the end all politicians are money hungry egomaniacs, just some worse then others. All promise they'll lower taxes, never raise them, bring the country to where it needs to be bla, bla, but rarely do they follow throw. Big business has gotten their fangs so deep in the government they are the ones calling the shots, not the politicians.
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the other ones.

We get the politicians we choose, even if it doesn't seem like that. I don't think that politicians are inherently worse than the population as a whole--there crimes are simply magnified by intense scrutiny and a strong need to be everything to everybody. If they tell us what we want to hear, it's only because they've learned that we mostly want to be told what we want to hear. If they refuse to lower spending or raise taxes its because they've learned that doing either will alienate about half their constituents but just increasing the debt and making it a problem for later won't.

This idea that the government is being lead along by big business seems a bit far-fetched, as well. Certainly business has the means for arguing its case to government--and I would even agree that probably got too much direct influence--but to imagine that some secret cabal of executives are secretly calling the shots is something better left for movies and websites in ALL CAPS. From what I've seen companies are just as afraid of the government as they are in control of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies