Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM

180 posts, read 188,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The record goes to W- he spent more time on vaca than all others. Regan is second, HW is 3'rd. The shortest times goes to Carter and Clinton.

So the 3 repubs spend more time on vaca, yet these posters want to critize the Dems who spend less time... guess it goes to show what they are really focused on....

now for those that think with his vaca time he hasn't achieved anything lets refresh

1) Health care reform - He did what the Clintons couldn't
2) Communications - advancing technology in the government,
3) 2500 highway projects funded in a fast manor
4) tax Credit for education
5) revampof car industry, cash for clunkers
6) housing stimulus, easing the housing market woes
7) Bolstered the security of Pakistan
8) Protection of more than 2 million acres of forests
9) halt in off shore drilling / economic help for those affected by oil spill
10) Getting many of the fund loaned to the banks for the bail out back

Plus more
  • The last U.S. Marines are leaving Iraq.
  • Credit card companies can no longer charge interest on fees, and can’t retroactively raise your interest rate on existing balances.
  • We know who visits the White House, and who they’re affiliated with.
  • There’s a quarter billion dollars more funding for National Parks, and $50 million more for the National Endowment for the Arts.
  • We responded, imperfectly but with heart and sincere effort, to the disaster in Haiti. Just as we wish we had after Katrina. Leadership matters most in emergencies.
  • Our current President readily admits when he’s made mistakes, respects the validity of arguments that he disagrees with, and has members of the opposing party in his cabinet.
  • The Department of Homeland Security now allocates its security spending according to threats, not by spending the same amount of money on Montana as it does on New York.
  • My 401k is up 30% since the current President took office.
  • Our President asked both corporations and individuals to reduce their electricity consumption. He asked politely.
  • Trains. There’s a plan to build more rails and more trains for transporting actual humans around the country.
  • The Matthew Shepard hate crime bill was passed.
  • Closed offshore tax safe havens
Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals
Ended the previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back
[LEFT]
Read more: The Obama Achievements Project « Shoq Value
[/LEFT]

• Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals
  • Ended the previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back

Here is a link for the promises he has kept , broken or is working on
'
PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

His record is 120 kept, 39 compromised, 22 broken and 241 in the works... Im not his supporter but I can at least see he has done far more than most other presidents. I'd have to give him a great deal of credit for what he has accomplished in a pretty short time.

Here is my wish list of things to do
1) set the US as the leader in green energy and technology, making it our new industry and converting our country to self sufficient power for cars, work, home. Go for individual based power systems, not more of the corporate controlled crap we have today.
2) hold the Bush administration accountable for their war crimes and crimes against the Constitution
3)End the war
4) End the federal Reserve system and eliminate our national debt.
5) restore the aspects of the Constitution that have been undermined
6) Go after those that illegally profited from various stock schemes and insider trading be it fro 9/11, The Iraq war or what ever else.
With the 24/7 news cycle, this country has the collective memory of a gnat. You can't expect them to remember anything that didn't happen yesterday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,228,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Can you read my mind? Do you even know where I am right now?

You can't say Obama is taking "too many" vacation days unless you know what's standard for a POTUS.

You can't say, this isn't about Obama, it's about abuse of power, and say "that's different" whenever any other president's vacation time is brought up. If you do, your issue is with Obama, pure and simple.
I don't have to read your mind,...I can read your words.

The real problem here is that your generalities just happened to apply equally to George Bush and Obama. Apparently that what has raised your hackles.

As for BUSSSSHHHHH,....the only comments I have to make is:
...this thread is about Obama, not George W. Bush

...no liberals can defend Obama taking such lavish vacations during dire economic times, so they criticize Bush.

...liberals can't defend Obama without criticizing Bush. Neither liberals nor Obama, can discuss ANYTHING without blaming Bush. Seems that the theme of the upcoming elections,..."IT'S NOT OUR FAULT,...BLAME BUSH".
It just seems the Obamas are reluctant to lead by example, but want to criticize Americans for being arrogant, wasting electricity, and driving SUVs. So much for the Hypocrite-in-Chief.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,491,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
...this thread is about Obama, not George W. Bush
if you want to proclaim a president "part-time" then you have to compare it to others that have done the job. you can't proclaim someone a winner or a loser if it is a race of one.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 PM

38,075 posts, read 22,239,818 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who is getting a bellyful of our First Family cavorting all over the world/country spending taxpayer monies at will during these bad economic times? Seems we have a Parttime President who is determined NOT to stay in Washington. Obama is either golfing (some 20-odd days since taking office), having mini-vacations at will, or full-fledged vacations on the east coast.

The First Family is in Florida, on the way to Martha's Vineyard later this month. Didn't the Obama's just finish a vacation on the east coast? One has to suppose that there weren't many paid vacations as a community organizer, and since the taxpayers are footing the bill, the Obama's need to make up for lost time.
No kidding, these people in the white house have no empathy, they act like they think they are American royalty.

At least when Bush went to his ranch, it was a mini-Oval Office that he could work out of, and still stay in touch with his administration. It also cut down dramatically on the security costs at the ranch. 0bama's wife and kid just goes on vacation in a foreign country, and 70 freaking secret service have to follow the first Lady around. That does not even count the advance teams, the multiple aircraft, and personnel who have to set up all the security in these foreign countries.

I guess the sites and history of Maryland and the nearby states, that Michelle and the kiddies could vacation to, are suxxor.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,321,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GALiberal View Post
No because what you liberals fail to understand is that Bush wasn't on vacation when he was at Crawford.

Do you know what that is you lazy liberal? Thats right..thats our President hauling wood and shrubbery. Have you ever been in the woods? With all the tree hugging you *******s do you'll think yall would recognize how hard is it to carry logs. Thats hardly what I would call a vacation. Thats a good days hard work..hard American work by a God fearing man who loves his country. Something you pansies obviously know nothing about.
First, nice namebcalling; might want to read the TOS.
It has nothing to do with the work of the nation, does it?
His choice.

I take it your screen name has nothing to do with your political leanings.

Here's a link from another Obama vacation thread re: Bush: http://www.city-data.com/forum/15463754-post20.html

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-16-2010 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
What is it with these half-truths being posted? George Bush did not show up for work until 9 a.m. and did not work 8 hours a day. His cronies even admitted that.
Cheney let him come in?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,964,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Because suddenly all of these things are just.so.terrible now that Obama is in office and no one said a word when Bush took more.
Maybe you didn't complain. This has nothing to do with it being just Obama, it's his policies and his fundamental changing of America. It would matter, even if it were a white man were President and was making America worse. It has NOTHING to do with Obama in general. What a lame thing to keep pushing, like it's all about Obama and not his vision to change America.
Quote:
I guess you slept through the entire Bush administration.
Everything you whine about now, Bush did then, only he added kisses and hand holding.
No, I was quite vocal through his Presidency and didn't just say Clinton did it, so it's okay with Bush.
And Obama has added a lot of bowing,after all he did claim to be Christian. As most Christians know, we would never bow to anyone except for Jesus.
Not sure what Christian would ignore Passover and celebrate Ramadan.

Quote:
Pandering to the enemy? What enemy? The one the R party makes of him.
Oh not you too, please don't tell me you think Russia, China, Iran and most of the Arab nation like us??? I am talking about the governments and not the people in general.
Maybe, if we are nice they will be our friends!!!

Quote:
Pride by your determination. I get it.
You call the shots for him.
Can you show me were he has shown to be a proud American?

Quote:
So sorry that you can't set boundaries at your job. I certainly set them at mine.
Your choice to work 10 hour days; unless salaried, you get paid for it. There are fair labor standards, oops, that agency is a federal agency and I'm sure you'd never partake of them.
Well, since I and my husband are self-employed, we take calls and work as we need to. You must have never seen a farmer or a rancher work, maybe you ought to enlighten yourself and see what it takes to bring food to your table. I wasn't complaining about getting out early, I was merely commenting that most of us have put in a half days work, before our Commander in Chief has arrived to his job. And very few of us get to relax after 4:00, so I don't pity him needing a vacation. Most of us never get to vacation.

I have never held a job for the state or a government job. So, no I am not salaried, I actually know how it is to get out and find work on my own. I don't need a made up job that let's me retire at 50 and except the rest of Americans to feed and care for me the rest of their working lives.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Maybe you didn't complain. This has nothing to do with it being just Obama, it's his policies and his fundamental changing of America. It would matter, even if it were a white man were President and was making America worse. It has NOTHING to do with Obama in general. What a lame thing to keep pushing, like it's all about Obama and not his vision to change America.
Might want to read the op, it's about his vacation time. You're free to start your own thread about his policies. There are at least 4 out there now, but we're used to one more.
How is Obama changing America?

No, I was quite vocal through his Presidency and didn't just say Clinton did it, so it's okay with Bush.
And Obama has added a lot of bowing,after all he did claim to be Christian. As most Christians know, we would never bow to anyone except for Jesus.
Not sure what Christian would ignore Passover and celebrate Ramadan.
What does religion have to do with government? You don't get to assign your xian myths to others. Do what you want for yourself, but it's not your pace to assign your beliefs to anyone else.
What does this have to do with time off? You're off topic and trying to hijack the thread.
Bush bowed, held hands and kissed guys; leaders of state. Where in your silly mythology does it say that no one bows to a head of state? I guess no other president was a christer. Silly and off topic.

Oh not you too, please don't tell me you think Russia, China, Iran and most of the Arab nation like us??? I am talking about the governments and not the people in general.
What does this have to do with Obama's vacations. Really, it's a simple topic, try to post within shouting distance of it.

Maybe, if we are nice they will be our friends!!!
Again, what does this have to do with the OP?

Can you show me were he has shown to be a proud American?
You're the one who said he wasn't. It's incumbent upon you to provide the proof.

Well, since I and my husband are self-employed, we take calls and work as we need to. You must have never seen a farmer or a rancher work, maybe you ought to enlighten yourself and see what it takes to bring food to your table. I wasn't complaining about getting out early, I was merely commenting that most of us have put in a half days work, before our Commander in Chief has arrived to his job. And very few of us get to relax after 4:00, so I don't pity him needing a vacation. Most of us never get to vacation.
Your choices. No, you were condemning him because you work harder. Want some cheese with that whine?

I have never held a job for the state or a government job. So, no I am not salaried, I actually know how it is to get out and find work on my own. I don't need a made up job that let's me retire at 50 and except the rest of Americans to feed and care for me the rest of their working lives.
Regular businesses are hourly or salaried. You do know that, don't you?
Did someone force you to start a business? Do you really think that you're special because you've found work on your own? Have you thought this comment through?
Do you really think that no one else had had to find work on their own? What, were they granted jobs? If so, why is there so much unemployment?
I've worked for Oil companies, LBOs, banks and contractors. I didn't/don't work more than 40 hours per week unless compensated for it. So sorry you need to whine about your decisions.
Who's got a made up job and can retire at 50?
Maybe the military? They retire at full pension after 20 years; some people at 38. And those who work in the prison system.
My responses to this silly, off-topic post are in red.

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-16-2010 at 11:49 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 11:13 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,491,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
At least when Bush went to his ranch, it was a mini-Oval Office that he could work out of, and still stay in touch with his administration.
i don't think any president at any time has truly been out of contact since teddy roosevelt ( a lost weekend in yosemite ). it's not like the president needs a 14 ton crane or a full production film studio to do the job. for most scenarios a cell phone would be adequate.

that being said..... i think vacations for a president ( any president ) are a good thing. it's a high profile high stress job. i get the thought behind " setting an example " but think about it. there will ALWAYS be something.

it's not a time-clock gig. if you don't like the job they've done..... vote for someone else the next round.

all i ask is for consistency in standards.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,279,566 times
Quote:
Really?

A link would be nice.
Here's one. Also, at $140,000 round trip for Air Force 1 and Marine 1, it cost the taxpayers eleven million dollars just to fly him back and forth to the ranch. That doesn't count security.

487 Days At Camp David For Bush - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I will admit to being wrong on the 880 days, though. The article adds them up to 977 days.

That is one-third of his entire presidency.

Last edited by cuebald; 08-17-2010 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies