Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why would any business expand or, open now??
It all depends. Next door to me a small meat market has opened. He's selling local raised meat. I notice there are always people there when I go by and he's kept prices reasonable. For him its good. Has he created a lot of jobs? Just one that I can see, but he is also helping the local economy.

Where I used to live in Riverside ca? Actual unemployment of 18%. Reported of 14% It would be crazy to start a business unless it was basic and you didn't need to put much in it (like employees to pay) and even then you'd be likely out of luck.

All depends on where your talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This recession is the worst in a generation. What did you expect to happen? Seriously, I never expected it to disappear. It took more than on Administration to pave the way for this mess, and I expect it will take more than one Administration to fix it.

I ask you, What has the opposition proposed to improve the situation, besides tha crap about the ground zero Mosque, and the other fake outrage over nothing?

The stimulus helped, till the money ran out, as did the tax credit for first time homebuyers. My take on it is that Small business needs credit to open back up in order to expand.
I'm sorry, but the stimulus was of little help. The Fed would have been better off giving a big handout to each tax paying citizen. It would have been cheaper to do and depending on the amount given, the economy would have been just as stimulated. Here is an example of how the stimulus money worked in the highly talked about clean-energy projects. Solyndra was given $535 million and 1000 jobs were created at a cost of $535,000 each job, Vogtle Electric was given $8.33 billion and 800 jobs were created at a cost of $10,412,500 per job, Beacon Power was given $43 million and created 234 jobs at $183,761 per job, Sage Electrochromics was given $72 million and created 160 jobs at a cost of $450,000 per job, Brightsource Energy was given 1.37 billion and only created 86 jobs at $15,930,233 per job, Abengola Solar was given 1.45 Billion and created 85 jobs at a grand total of $17,058,824 pe job, First Wind was given 117 million and created 10 jobs at a cost of $11,700,000 per job and US Geothermal was given $102 million, created 10 jobs at a cost of $10,220,000 per job. This is just one industry. There are many more in other industies as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It all depends. Next door to me a small meat market has opened. He's selling local raised meat. I notice there are always people there when I go by and he's kept prices reasonable. For him its good. Has he created a lot of jobs? Just one that I can see, but he is also helping the local economy.

Where I used to live in Riverside ca? Actual unemployment of 18%. Reported of 14% It would be crazy to start a business unless it was basic and you didn't need to put much in it (like employees to pay) and even then you'd be likely out of luck.

All depends on where your talking.
Let us know if he is still in business in two years.

A high volume does not necessarily mean a high profit.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The economy will not improve until Obama is gone.
That was my prediction in 2008, and so far all of my predictions have turned out to be dead on correct.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
.... AFAIAC receiving "free" money from an investment is no different that receiving free money from the government except the government money is generally spent instantly thus stimulating the economy whereas the dividends are stashed where they do nothing but create more dividends.
Good lord man, your logic is so ****ed up it's crazy.

It gives me a headache just trying to understand how you someone like you can believe what you are saying.

Just wow...

Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
I doesn't matter who you vote for... Unles things are very different the result will be the same. Read up on the dued from India that got independance for India. He did it corretly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies