Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far away should the Ground Zero Mosque be?
Anywhere they want to build it, if its within zoning restrictions and code 37 54.41%
Three to five blocks 0 0%
Five to ten blocks or further (explain how far) 8 11.76%
No where in Manhattan at all 23 33.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know, what's your acceptable distance for this Mosque.

There are already two closer than the 2 blocks where this one is being purposed, many more in lower Manhattan, and this Imam already has a Mosque open 12 blocks from Ground Zero.

Also, if you think that this mosque in particular is being built for nefarious reasons, I'd like to know why you think so. After all, this Imam was asked by the Bush administration to help with cultural differences in the states, and to help keep Muslim citizens calm during the start of these wars we are in. The FBI has also worked with him to try and find out what to look for in terrorists, and how to pick out radical Muslims from those that want to actually help the fight against terror.

You don't have to answer the second question, but it would give a lot of integrity to your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
...........There are already two closer than the 2 blocks where this one is being purposed, many more in lower Manhattan, and this Imam already has a Mosque open 12 blocks from Ground Zero........
Thank you for pointing out once again that there is no First Amendment violation regarding the freedom of Muslims to worship.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
No closer than the next closest standing mosque.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thank you for pointing out once again that there is no First Amendment violation regarding the freedom of Muslims to worship.
Can't refute that.

My question is, what makes this one any different from those? The Imam in those Mosques support Sharia law, just like Imam Rauf does. So, whats so different about him? After all, he has tried to help us with Muslim relations, to keep peace in our own country. Sounds to me like that'd be the exact type of Imam we'd want to be teaching people.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
I don't have an exact distance in mind. While the discussion has focused on the fact that it's two blocks from where the towers were located, it should also be noted that the location was close enough for the building to be significantly damaged by debris from one of the planes, and the proximity certainly seems to play a role in the choice of location.

Any point I would make about the purpose of the mosque being for nefarious reasons would be pure speculation. I would prefer to simply say that if they are genuinely seeking to reach out, then it might be prudent to take into account the reaction that your attempt engenders and decide whether or not it meets your goal.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
any distance will do. i give credit where its due---skilled political behavior, like apologizing to muslim somali pirates for any disrespect and bowing to their great religion, and then shooting them in the head to get our captain back.
we are getting smarter. we are playing their game. good job obama.
btw a lion always cringes b4 its springs.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:

There are already two closer than the 2 blocks where this one is being purposed, many more in lower Manhattan, and this Imam already has a Mosque open 12 blocks from Ground Zero.
Legally - anywhere.
My preference - outside of the US, with all other mosques.

I believe they should lose their right to freedom of religion when they made a coordinated attack against this country - similar to when a felon loses his right to vote upon committing a felony.

Quote:
Also, if you think that this mosque in particular is being built for nefarious reasons, I'd like to know why you think so. After all, this Imam was asked by the Bush administration to help with cultural differences in the states, and to help keep Muslim citizens calm during the start of these wars we are in. The FBI has also worked with him to try and find out what to look for in terrorists, and how to pick out radical Muslims from those that want to actually help the fight against terror.

You don't have to answer the second question, but it would give a lot of integrity to your position.
This has nothing to do with Bush. This is not about right vs. left.

This is like putting the US flag on the moon. They are putting a worship center on the site where they have have had their greatest victory against this country. I guess if you don't believe that facets of Islam are at war against the United States, I can understand why you don't care about this. Don't be surprised when we will eventually be defeated by them.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Legally - anywhere.
My preference - outside of the US, with all other mosques.

I believe they should lose their right to freedom of religion when they made a coordinated attack against this country - similar to when a felon loses his right to vote upon committing a felony.

This has nothing to do with Bush. This is not about right vs. left.

This is like putting the US flag on the moon. They are putting a worship center on the site where they have have had their greatest victory against this country. I guess if you don't believe that facets of Islam are at war against the United States, I can understand why you don't care about this. Don't be surprised when we will eventually be defeated by them.
You're entitled to your first statement, I'm asking a preference question with the poll, not a legal one. I'm sure everyone knows its legal.

Secondly, I'm not making a right vs. left issue. I'm simply stating that the guy that many conservatives believe was tough on terrorism, let this Imam help the fight against terrorism. To me, that would be exactly the type of individual that we'd want teaching young Muslims.

And its not like putting a flag on the moon, when there are already Mosques that are closer than this one would be.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,570 times
Quote:

I've been giving this issue a lot of thought... well, I don't give anything a lot of thought, but I've been giving it some thought. I think the whole mosque argument may have been triggered by the media. I don't say stuff like that very often. It sounds too "foil helmetish", even to my ears, but I think it's a possiblity. There's been other things that have been media driven, so this could be just another.

Anyhow, it's too bad that the mosque couldn't be built without any brouhaha. By all rights that's how it should have proceeded. But it just wasn't going to happen that way.

I think part of the problem is that when Mr. John Q. Public thinks of a Muslim, he doesn't see another John Q. Public. He sees a guy in a odd-looking hat and a bad beard who is not particularly personable. He sees a Muslim woman who is forced by Islam to wear scarves and a long shukr. I think he also sees folks who are perceived as overly religious. Personally, I can't see myself going out of my way to befriending a Muslim. I'm all for him or her having rights, but most Muslims just don't come across as my style person. This is not unique. I don't see myself striking up a conversation with an Orthadox Jew wearing one of those beanies. Heck, I'm leery of anyone carrying religious pamphlets.

Anyway, if the person representing the Mosque to the media had been a guy who wore a JC Penney plaid, short sleeve shirt, displayed a mild sense of humor, and stated that the mosque was going to have a playground for all to use, I think there'd be a good chance that no debate would have ensued. And if it had ensued, it wouldn't have amounted to much. Yeah, I know, it's unfortunate that a mosque would have to be in essence "marketed" to get public approval, but I think that's where we are right now. Humans are not robots. Humans have feelings, be those feelings properly directed or not.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
I find it amusing that conservatives are putting so much energy into this. Last month, it was the 14th Amendment. Before that, it was Arizona's immigration law. They just jump from one issue to another, and then act as if it's the most important issue facing America. Every issue is an emergency to them, and they're always hysterical about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies