Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

We live in an era were racism carries a negative social stigma. To be seen as a racist is to be seen as “evil” and “ugly”. It carries a social stigma and social and career penalty if discovered to be practiced. Hence, it’s obvious that “racist” is not how a person will self describe their beliefs or feelings….because they do not want to be socially stigmatized or jeopardize their careers having those beliefs and or behaviors exposed. In fact, for the same reason that people have trouble admitting to themselves that they are alcoholic…….people have a disincentive to recognize their own racism….because no one wants to see themselves as a social degenerate. Thus, not only are people hiding things from others, but also from themselves.

When black folk say that someone is a racist or that something is racism, some people are quick to jump in to refute the claim. Some people say that black folks are “playing the race card”, which implies that racism really is not a valid claim. Yet, we all know that racism and racist do exist. Hence, if white folks are qualified to tell us who are not a racist, for example, Dr. Laura, then white folks MUST have a means of discerning whites who are racist from those who are not racist, even if they have never personally met the person. Hence, I would like to know and I would like white folks to teach me and other black folk how you discern and identify those who are racist and not racist when racist are making conscious efforts to avoid epithets and language that is blatantly or overtly racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Hence, I would like to know and I would like white folks to teach me and other black folk how you discern and identify those who are racist and not racist when racist are making conscious efforts to avoid epithets and language that is blatantly or overtly racist.
So how many posts do you think you'll get before the thread is closed? I'm betting 20.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So how many posts do you think you'll get before the thread is closed? I'm betting 20.
It depends on how civil people are willing to be. I honestly want to know the answer to this. If white folk can teach black folk the secret of discerning who the REAL white racist are......maybe black folks would not fling out the accusation as much. I mean....there MUST be a means that allows white to REFUTE claims of racism charged against others. I would like white folks to teach me their MEANS of knowing that those accused are not.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
We live in an era were racism carries a negative social stigma. To be seen as a racist is to be seen as “evil” and “ugly”. It carries a social stigma and social and career penalty if discovered to be practiced. Hence, it’s obvious that “racist” is not how a person will self describe their beliefs or feelings….because they do not want to be socially stigmatized or jeopardize their careers having those beliefs and or behaviors exposed. In fact, for the same reason that people have trouble admitting to themselves that they are alcoholic…….people have a disincentive to recognize their own racism….because no one wants to see themselves as a social degenerate. Thus, not only are people hiding things from others, but also from themselves.

When black folk say that someone is a racist or that something is racism, some people are quick to jump in to refute the claim. Some people say that black folks are “playing the race card”, which implies that racism really is not a valid claim. Yet, we all know that racism and racist do exist. Hence, if white folks are qualified to tell us who are not a racist, for example, Dr. Laura, then white folks MUST have a means of discerning whites who are racist from those who are not racist, even if they have never personally met the person. Hence, I would like to know and I would like white folks to teach me and other black folk how you discern and identify those who are racist and not racist when racist are making conscious efforts to avoid epithets and language that is blatantly or overtly racist.
You tell me. I posted a thread asking legitimate questions regarding the CBC and caught flack during my sincere attempt to learn.

I suspect those not of color are just as tired of being accused of racism as those who may have suffered acts of racism and are looking for it to happen again and may or may not see it where it is not intended. Civility in matters discussing race or political differences seems to have left the social conversation moreso now then in any other time in my life.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Lord have mercy.... Really dude!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:30 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Lord have mercy.... Really dude!
no kidding. did your eyes roll so far back in your head reading this OP that you saw what the backs of your eye sockets look like?

mine did

Old 08-19-2010, 02:31 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
It would be easier if we had some scenarios (real or fictional) to discuss.

Here's an example of NOT racist: The "Black Holes" Hallmark card. It was a graduation card with a space theme to it. A Black Hole is a natural phenomenon in space and the usage was that the graduating student could overcome anything and everything in his path.

That is how I, as a white person, see the usage of Black Hole in the Hallmark card. Your take?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
That is how I, as a white person, sees the usage of Black Hole in the Hallmark card. Your take?
Now Rita, as a black person I'm offended by you using the word "sees". I'm tired of people mocking us and claiming that we talk like we just stepped off the plantation yesterday.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Now Rita, as a black person I'm offended by you using the word "sees". I'm tired of people mocking us and claiming that we talk like we just stepped off the plantation yesterday.
I originally was going to say "That is how this white person sees..." but then I changed it without changing my verb.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
Quote:

Ok. I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but I guess I am going to have to.

First, you will need to get the secret decoder ring that is found in a box of Lucky Charms...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies