Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,720,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Its a cultural problem that nobody wants to talk about.
I do agree. Instead the words victim, racism, discrimination,etc will be used. And government's answer to all of life's problems...throw more money at it, lower the standards so the numbers look better.

Bill Cosby knows where it's at.

Bill Cosby Speech Transcript
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 04:16 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,366,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's not only poverty, it's a culture that doesn't encourage education. It’s probably the biggest change in the Black American community in the last 40 years. Black people regardless of social or economic circusmstances used to encourage their children to get better educations in order to have better opportunity in life. That all changed after the manufacturing jobs left the country in the late 1970’s and crack cocaine epidemic totally ravaged many Black American communities in the 1980 and early 1990’s.

Until more Black Americans embrace education as a cultural value once again you won’t see any appreciable changes in educational attainment in poor black neighborhoods. The irony here is the percentage of Black Americans with college degrees has steadily but slowly increased for the last 40 years. Like most of America now Black people live in a two-tiered culture.
Great Post! Excellent point about the proliferation of crack into poor black communities, which led to the explosion of gang culture.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM

481 posts, read 638,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Taht si why there is so much anti-asian culture in thsi country. Fro waht i have seen they value education amd opportunity more than any other culture as a pre centage i thsi coutnry. Ist alos why we find ourself having so mnay who are struggling to compete with ch9inbese peasnts that can trun a scredriver on assmbly because now they have the facities to do so;where i the past they did. We must stay above if we want our society to have a hid=gher standrad of living. One of the reason for the inequity in earnings growing in this country.Ypou do noticve that balck females are not counted in this stat because they have made great advances in this regard.
Your problem is that you view "culture" as some abstract thing that people can subscribe to at will. Culture and genetics are not mutually exclusive. East Asians have an average IQ of 105, which explains their high academic achievement. I know you would rather prefer to plug your ears and scream rather than hear the unadulterated truth.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,255,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's not only poverty, it's a culture that doesn't encourage education. It’s probably the biggest change in the Black American community in the last 40 years. Black people regardless of social or economic circusmstances used to encourage their children to get better educations in order to have better opportunity in life. That all changed after the manufacturing jobs left the country in the late 1970’s and crack cocaine epidemic totally ravaged many Black American communities in the 1980 and early 1990’s.

Until more Black Americans embrace education as a cultural value once again you won’t see any appreciable changes in educational attainment in poor black neighborhoods. The irony here is for the percentage of Black Americans with college degrees has steadily but slowly increased the last 40 years. Like most of America now Black people live in a two-tiered culture.
Great post! Excellent point about the percentage of Black Americans with college degrees having steadily increased the last 40 years.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,985,925 times
And in the white community, just about everyone has a college degree, or at least it seems that way. I do wonder though, how black females escape the scourge.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM

45,626 posts, read 61,058,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
And in the white community, just about everyone has a college degree, or at least it seems that way. I do wonder though, how black females escape the scourge.

You really need to widen your circle of experience.

Fast Facts

Educational attainment in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second link is Wikipedia but the graph partway down is accurate.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,835,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Your problem is that you view "culture" as some abstract thing that people can subscribe to at will. Culture and genetics are not mutually exclusive. East Asians have an average IQ of 105, which explains their high academic achievement. I know you would rather prefer to plug your ears and scream rather than hear the unadulterated truth.
I just don't believe in those IQ statistics. Look at Asia, there are countries with a similar HDI as African ones. And within both Asia and Africa there are huge differences, although they are the same "race". Compare for instance the big difference between Ghana and Mali just to the north. Or between Myanmar and its neighbor Thailand.
In my view culture, motivation etc. are the key factors.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:32 PM

32,862 posts, read 19,577,438 times
nevada has the worst drop out rate in the country...nearly 50% of all students (doesnt matter the ethnicity) drop out

that's bad, something needs to be done

Old 08-21-2010, 04:34 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,013,394 times
Quote:
Only 47% of Black males graduated high school in 2007/08
Is there any data that shows the black male graduation rate for pre-Civil Rights generations?

I am thinking that black graduation rates for both males and females were much higher before the 1970s. I may be wrong, but I'm curious to see.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,835,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Is there any data that shows the black male graduation rate for pre-Civil Rights generations?

I am thinking that black graduation rates for both males and females were much higher before the 1970s. I may be wrong, but I'm curious to see.
Found this chart on dropout rates, but it starts at 1972...

http://nces.ed.gov/ssbr/pages/images/dropout.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies