Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:17 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I don't blame Republicans for blacks not valuing education.

I do blame them for continuing to create a climate that encoiurages hate and racial bigotry. The that type of climate encourges discriminatory behavior in workplace, housing, access to mortgages, and unequal treatment in the criminal justice system.
i dont blame others for my environment.
i came from the same environment (s side chicago cicero). i came from the same family disfunctionalism. worse poverty than most. but i changed the environment--. instead of becoming part of it. they can do, but you gota want to. i have known too many that did not want to change. they stayed there, i moved on. you cry out give our children a chance. then your kids ignore teacher dont come to class start fights disrupt, heck spit on the teacher and theaten him and those good black students that are trying. whats up with that??? then you blame the teachers??? rev martin luther king did not like his environment he did not become part of it, he changed it. as a child i knew some elderly black people in new orleans area that took care of me. they were no nonsense people. their grandfather and grandmother had been slaves. you think they would put up with the stuff you dish out to teachers in K12? believe me, if they saw what you have done with the opportunity of schooling they would disown you.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-21-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,311,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Its a cultural problem that nobody wants to talk about. Its also a problem of dysgenics which is effecting every racial group, not just blacks, in which the lower IQ people are breeding at a much higher rate than the high IQ ones.
It doesn't have to anything to with intelligence. It has everything to do with being in an environment where education is encouraged and valued.

And it doesn't have a damn thing to do with race. To imply such is indicative of racist thinking.

The group of people in this country with the highest percentage of college graduates and highest per capita income happen to be sub-Saharan African immigrants.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 08-21-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,035,998 times
The dropout rate is a legacy of being a second class citizen for hundreds of years. But placing blame doesn't solve the problem. It's time for blacks to join-up into the mainstream culture. And it's time for mainstream culture to be more welcoming. But the first step has to be a willingness by blacks to turn away from those cultural things that are familiar but yet in some cases detrimental. For some there's a lot of racial antimosity making that first step a difficult step.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 PM

7,535 posts, read 11,380,014 times
This could be related to many Blacks living in cities and areas with high unemployment rates and not much opportunities so this perception of a lack of opportunities is shaping these Black kid's behavior.

For example:
Quote:

GATES: Do you think we need a moral revolution within the black community? Or a behavioral revolution? How do we get people to change these forms of dysfunctional behavior?

WILSON: I don't think they are going to change until we open up the opportunities for them. That's when they will change. I think we have seen many examples that when you open up the opportunity structure, people behave accordingly because they have a future.

For example, people are concerned now that the black kids are not studying in school. A lot of them are not studying because they don't see a relationship between school and post school employment. So they feel whether you drop out of high school or whether you graduate, it doesn't make any difference. You are not going to find a job. If they feel that way, they are not going to study.

frontline: the two nations of black america: interview with william julius wilson

Detroit unemployment rate climbs, highest among large cities - Oct. 28, 2009

Detroit Has Worst High-School Graduation Rate : NPR

So do you see a connection between the two in relation to what William Julius Wilson is saying?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 PM

To add I think part of the problem related to opportunities for Blacks is that not enough Black kids are viewing themselves as potential entreprenurs. If they did then they would have an expanded view of themselves and their future.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,961 times
its environment, simple as that.

the lowest income people, which are predominantly black make poor decisions in general and end up living a ghetto life. this is not exclusive to blacks though. you have the trailer park type mentality with whites throughout the country as well, and you have the whites of appalachia living in 3rd world conditions as another example that it's not a genetic or a race thing, but low income and poor decision making thing.

ive seen more and more blacks moving up which is encouraging. ive seen more blacks into the suburbs with families in middle-upper middle class areas, at least in my state, minnesota in the past couple years.

while much can be done, i also think it is improving at the same time. i look at my high school with a 98 percent graduation rate. majority white, but decent size non white population as well. middle class, regular up bringing with 2 parents, all of them are doing fine now.

and we shouldn't be letting whites off the hook either. a 75 percent graduation rate is nothing to applaud. the graduation rate in general regardless of race should be in the 90's.

im curious to see if the white grad rates have declined with the black grad rates as well.

in general we are becoming more stupid and more stupid, and becoming stupid doesn't discriminate.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:35 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Less Than Half of Black Male Students Are Graduating - COLORLINES

" Depressing but important research: The graduation rate for black male students in the 2007/2008 school year was a lousy 47 percent. And half of all states had black male graduation rates below the overall national average. This data comes from the Schott Foundation for Public Education’s most recent report on how well schools are doing in educating black men. ColorLines’ publisher, the Applied Research Center, produced the video above explaining the Schott report’s overall findings. (Disclosure: The Schott Foundation is among ARC’s funders.) "

Folks we are on are way to being the next South Africa - a place where a few rich Whites and Asians are surrounded by throngs of desperate non Eurasian poor. In our society h.s. + a technical field is a minimum to be financially self sufficient.

How do we solve this problem? Do you favor a carrots (rewards for graduating) or sticks (forcing ppl to graduate by eliminating welfare), or something else?
I'm not a racist BUT

Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 PM

Another issue to consider is that some urban schools are just dangerous. This causes some kids not to want to go to school. I mean,what do you think it's like to go to a school in L.A or Chicago that's dominated by gangs?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The group of people in this country with the highest percentage of college graduates and highest per capita income happen to be sub-Saharan African immigrants.
I'll just wait for the link that proves this assertion.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:06 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,961 times
the poster is right about african immigrants having one of, if not the highest college graduate rates. dont know about income, but ive read about the grad rates.

my dad is an example of that. ba at nebraska, masters at nebraska, doctorate at kansas.

African immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

according to the us census, african immigrants have more advanced degrees then any group including us citizens, have more college degrees then anyone, and have the highest high school education equivalent of any group.

there are several africans at my work who came from the congo, ghana, and they are some of the smartest people ive ever met.

they are still behind asians and whites though when it comes to pay, imo due to discrimination.

it will be interesting to see what the numbers are like in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies