Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times

Advertisements

Texas school rejects 4-year-old over lesbian parents - CNN.com

I dunno what to think here.

For one, I don't think that this girl should be denied anything in life because of who her parents are, and in this case she is being denied the education that her parents want for her. However, since most schools encourage parents to be active and interested in their child's schooling, I can understand why they wouldn't want this couple attending school-sponsored events when they go against the school's message.

I don't know. I do think that this couple is wrong to put their daughter in a position where she is a symbol of gay rights. I'm part of the gay rights movement, but I'm also not a minor. I don't think minors should be symbols of our movement; it's wrong.

ETA: I should have mentioned this is a PRIVATE school. If it were a public school, I would of course be on the lesbian couple's side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
It's a private school---the school can set the rules. Public schools cannot do this---go to the public school. I don't know why they would want to go to that school anyway.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It's a private school---the school can set the rules. Public schools cannot do this---go to the public school. I don't know why they would want to go to that school anyway.
It's weird for me though. If they were a black couple and the school refused to admit their child for being black, I would say that was unfair and the school should be forced to admit the child. But in this case, I just can't fault the school.

This scenario happened in an episode of Law and Order : SVU. Funny how reality mimics TV sometimes.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times
Well, if it is a private school, then they have every right to do this. I agree if this was a public school, the rules would be different for them. Sounds like the parents agreed without much fuss over this. This type of thing does happen quite often(private schools that reject certain types of living arrangements, behavior, etc).

Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
The answer is right in the first paragraph of the report

Quote:
A private religious school in Texas has denied admission to the daughter of a lesbian couple who wanted to enroll the child in preschool, citing its "clear teaching of the Christian faith" for the refusal.
Its a private school
Its a religious school

End of story.
A private school has every right to deny a student from attending if that student or his/her family doesn't prescribe to the School's beliefs.

Find another private school or go to public school

Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Self-absorbed gay parents using small children as political fodder to further their Gay Agenda? I'm shocked. No, really.

It's no wonder countries like China bans homosexuals from adopting children. Wish we'd do the same if all they're going to do is use the poor kids for political gain, and posing as mascots in their little gay pride parades to show the world how "normal" they are.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Self-absorbed gay parents using small children as political fodder to further their Gay Agenda? I'm shocked. No, really.

It's no wonder countries like China bans homosexuals from adopting children. Wish we'd do the same if all they're going to do is use the poor kids for political gain, and posing as mascots in their little gay pride parades to show the world how "normal" they are.
alol. And posts like this are why I'm uncomfortable with my position on this that the school was right Anyway, don't act like ALL gays do stuff like this or that all NON-gays don't.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Default Wwjd

This is a WWJD moment, if ever there was one.

What do you think Jesus would do, if two Lesbians brought a child to be taught at his feet. Maybe say something....oh....I don't know.....maybe like "Suffer the children to come unto me." ?

Do I need to say anything else?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-23-2010 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
alol. And posts like this are why I'm uncomfortable with my position on this that the school was right Anyway, don't act like ALL gays do stuff like this or that all NON-gays don't.
Juppiter, FWIW, I sincerely respect you for your honesty and agree with your position.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM

387 posts, read 533,168 times
It is unfortunate but it is a private religious school. I'm not sure why a lesbian couple would send their child to such a fundamentalist school. The child and the family would be come outcasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies