Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raise voting age to 30?
Yes! The 20 somethings don't know what they're voting for 23 18.55%
No 86 69.35%
Maybe raise it to 21? 15 12.10%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,491 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not. Doesn't matter how old someone is. In my experience, all any politician does is lie or buy their way into office. Clinton was a fluke. I'm surprised he didn't end up with the same fate as JFK. Ignorance does not discriminate age. I see plenty of ignorance and immorality come from people of all ages. Until the lying and buying stops, America is going to be a failed democracy. We're over half way there already. And anyone with any kind of 'power' seems to not really give a damn. The problem in America goes SO much farther than voting age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I myself am in my 20s and think we are not cut out to make decisions that risk the fate of the country. I know how people my age think and it's scary. Most of my age group is full of wanna be hippies... Free everything, and easy living.

I know there is an exception to this generalization, but for the most part it seems most are not informed enough about long term consequences of their votes.
It's simple if you're old enough to take an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States and all enemies of this country both foreign and domestic and die carrying that oath out, you are old enough to vote.

There really isn't an argument here that anybody can put forth that to refute this.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,100 times
Only people contribute to the welfare of this country should be allowed to vote. And by that, I mean people that work, own businesses, volunteer in their communities, etc..... Lazy people that only want to seat in their couches all day, waiting for the 1st of the month to collect their welfare checks should have no say in politics.

I work 5 days a week, a job that keeps me away from my family more than I would like to. Yet my vote is as good as that of the drug dealer that wants to ruin my neighborhood. I'd rather have a 20 year old college student, or a young professional voting, than a 40 year old leech.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 AM

40 posts, read 42,490 times
What a great idea! If it wasnt for those pesky 20 year olds this economic mess would have never happened.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quantity never equals quality. Because someone is 30 or 50 or 70 does not make them more qualified to vote. Most party hardliners are older than 21 and yet you can't make them find fault with a corrupt politician in their own party.
At 18 we are old enough to die for our country. We should be old enough to vote.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:38 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
but at 20-something you are cut out to fight and die for your country? not to worry; many people in your age group don't vote anyway. As a country we cannot allow people to join the military and die in wars and at the same time not allow those same people to vote because of age.
Most ridiculous argument I ever heard against allowing 18 year-olds to vote said that we'd lose all of our military because they would vote against the draft and would vote against any war. Didn't happen. And to the OP: As someone has already stated, being uninformed is not limited to the young. I know too many "old geezers" who vote by rote (always within 'their party' instead of examining all of the options with an open mind). And they are the ones who can't seem to understand why I have never registered with ANY political party.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
The old argument of "old enough to die, but not to vote" became invalid when the US suspended conscription in 1973. Military service is now voluntary in case you havent noticed. Yes, they can resume conscription upon presidential order but it seems very unlikely.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Only people contribute to the welfare of this country should be allowed to vote. And by that, I mean people that work, own businesses, volunteer in their communities, etc..... Lazy people that only want to seat in their couches all day, waiting for the 1st of the month to collect their welfare checks should have no say in politics.

I work 5 days a week, a job that keeps me away from my family more than I would like to. Yet my vote is as good as that of the drug dealer that wants to ruin my neighborhood. I'd rather have a 20 year old college student, or a young professional voting, than a 40 year old leech.
Sorry, but the bolded is just ridiculous. When I was raising my sons, I didn't work outside the home, I certainly didn't own a business and had no time for volunteer work (unless you count the time I spent at my sons' pre-school learning how to reinforce the school's lessons). So, according to you, I shouldn't have been a voter until my sons were old enough for me to go out and get a job?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The old argument of "old enough to die, but not to vote" became invalid when the US suspended conscription in 1973. Military service is now voluntary in case you havent noticed. Yes, they can resume conscription upon presidential order but it seems very unlikely.
If anything it becomes even more valid. Now we are not forced to serve and yet many do so at 18 only shows why denying them the right to vote would be wrong.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Irrelevant. That 18 year old can still volunteer for the military. If he/she is old enough to join the military, he/she is old enough to vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies