Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Homosexuality and morality.
It is evil because God said it is evil. They don't reproduce. They are lustful. etc. 12 15.00%
It is evil because our culture scorns it. We should stop the evil doers now. 2 2.50%
When I evaluate the facts it is not evil. Nobody is harmed. It is innocent if it is with consenting adults. 55 68.75%
When I evaluate the facts it is all a subjective matter. 5 6.25%
Other opinions that I will express on the forum. 6 7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Is homosexuality evil? How come? Why not?

Here are two definitions of evil.

"# morally bad or wrong; "evil purposes"; "an evil influence"; "evil deeds"

"# Evil is defined as something that is immoral, causes pain or harm, is offensive, or threatening. In many cultures evil is a broad term used to describe what are seen as subjectively harmful deeds that are labeled as such to steer moral support. Evil is usually contrasted with good."

define: evil - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
No.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
We have many people confused, lost, loving, generous and each one of them are individuals straight or gay.
Evil was a word created by humans just as the idea of being good.
We killed people in the name of many things so called evil which later became good.
All actions are choices and not every choice is good for society and or whatever society deems good.
In being homosexual you dont kill anyone so for that choice I dont see any issues with it.
For being straight you dont either.
When it comes to molding societies IDEAS and direction all choices of freedom are a threat to those who want to control your moral choices.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Why isn't there just a "NO" option. No explanation needed.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
It's only evil when used for political gain.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Of course it's not evil. I am homosexual and am just like any other human being, except I am sexually attracted to the same sex. Period. Didn't make a choice to be this way, but I just am that way. It is what it is.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/morality.htm

You are here: Philosophy >> Morality

Morality Defined
Morality speaks of a system of behavior in regards to standards of right or wrong behavior. The word carries the concepts of: (1) moral standards, with regard to behavior; (2) moral responsibility, referring to our conscience; and (3) a moral identity, or one who is capable of right or wrong action. Common synonyms include ethics, principles, virtue, and goodness. Morality has become a complicated issue in the multi-cultural world we live in today. Let's explore what morality is, how it affects our behavior, our conscience, our society, and our ultimate destiny.

http://www.outofservice.com/morality/

I'm not really 'up' for a rousing discussion of morality--having participated in a few.
Contemplating the perhaps 'amoral' aspects of every aspect of life at present--particularly politics.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:05 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
One first needs to understand that homosexuality, in the majority, is not a choice. One does not typically choose to be different from his or her peer group. Homosexual acts are quite commonly viewed in nature - and there are many specie of animals wherein scientists that study the phenomena view a higher instance of homosexuality in some specie than other.

I may offend some who are homosexual when I use the word, "phenomena," because while I deem homosexuality to be naturally-occurring (for the most part), one needs to be honest and forthright in admitting that homosexuality doesn't provide for a means of evolutionary reproduction - it just doesn't. It is an uncontrollable behaviour that I think is best described as 'phenomena' since it occurs in a minority of each species, but it isn't, and I emphasize, IT IS NOT WRONG. It's not evil, it's not wrong. It's a fact of life and just as we shouldn't demonize those of another gender or race, we shouldn't demonize anyone for their sexual preference.

I've heard some proponents of same-sex marriage (and usually I agree/am sympathetic) that homosexuality is an evolutionary biproduct because our globe is overpopulated.
While our globe is overpopulated and while I do view it as a societal positive, evolution of man wasn't successful at reproducing because of homosexuality - meaning rather that homosexuality place in the evolution of man was in spite of it, not because of it. Again, I believe it is a societal positive, but I won't go so far as to say that it has an evolutionary place because it doesn't. Species will survive in spite of it, not because of it. It's something that is naturally occuring within nature and should be respected - not demonized. Just as I wouldn't think it normal or humane to demonize someone of a different gender, a different race, etc, why do we think that it's okay to demonize someone who is a homosexual?

What is hilarious about that fact is that the people who are absolutely stuck on the topic tend to be uber-religious folk who are widely opposed to the theory of evolution as well! So, for those people that just read my rather loquacious explanation for why homosexuality ISNT EVIL probably is disregarding it all anyway!

Drats!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
  • YES
  • NO
  • MAYBE

That's easier...

Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Morally wrong, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies