Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 AM

38,007 posts, read 22,193,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
The market that you just drove down? How convenient.
Most of the unions in the US are not market driven, they are public sector unions. They work with the democrat politicians to vote increased salaries and benefits to their members, followed by increased campaign donations to democrats and attack ads against republicans.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I think unions did a tremendous amount of good in the early to mid 20th century in terms of fighting for benefits and working conditions that many Americans take for granted today (i.e. 40 hour work week, paid vacation, paid health benefits). Then in the 60's and 70's they got a little greedy by asking for wages and benefits that were out of line with the market. It's one of the reasons inflation go so bad in the 1970's. Also by asking for too much they literally killed the goose that and it forced many companies to consider sending jobs overseas.

Now I think things have swung too far in the other direction. Corporations and executives are getting richer but the middle class is stagnant. Workers need to come together but now I don't think the issue should be wages. It should be about PROFIT SHARING. At the rate some corporations are making money there is at least some of those profits that should be put in a pool where every worker gets an equal share. I think it would align the interest of workers and management much more closely and create a win-win situation. It would also help preserve the middle class. Right now, investors and executives and high-level employee make out great while everybody else’s wages have stagnated.
The UAW sure as hell spread the profits around, in fact they did such a great job that their were not enough profits for GM and Chrysler to stay in business. The public employees union in California is doing such a great job of spread the wealth around, that the state is on the hook for over $30 billion budget deficit, and $500 billion in under funded pension liabilities to the union.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,310,848 times
Quote:
And my father crossed the picket line to get people into work. I remember the vehicles outside of our house and being followed.

Now, if the business' did people right there wouldn't be any need for unions. But I can tell you right now, that you people don't give a damn about what consitutes fair wages.
Exactly historicfally business owners and executives seek to exploit workers for maximum profit. In many case there is no sense of "Fair Play" with business exectives when dealing with employees. That is exactly why executive compensation is so far out of line when compared to what the average worker makes. It would be relatively simply for a company to say after we get to the bottom line of financials if we show a profit 10% of that is going into a pot where every employee in the company gets an equal share. It would do a lot to make up for the wage inequality we see in America today.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM

783 posts, read 815,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I thought they were primarily focused on taxes and deficits. What is the connection between a union plumber and the tax rate??
They hate union members becouse of the fact that they are a rightwing organisation and right wingers hate unions they are stooges for big business and the wealthy and they have been that ever since Dick armey founded the Tea party.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,304,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Most of the unions in the US are not market driven, they are public sector unions. They work with the democrat politicians to vote increased salaries and benefits to their members, followed by increased campaign donations to democrats and attack ads against republicans.
I guess old Jazzy hasn't read your post yet. I would rep you for it but I am not allowed by the system computer.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You must.
Sorry, it does not work that way, I do not live my life a certain way just so you can keep your stereotypes and your straw men. There is bartering for a fair and equitable wage, and then there are unions like the UAW or the California School Employees Association (CSEA).

Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess old Jazzy hasn't read your post yet. I would rep you for it but I am not allowed by the system computer.
State employee unions are literally helping to bankrupt states, and idiots, like some in this thread, are cheering these unions on. Meanwhile they wail and moan about some fictional company that they do not work for, does not affect them in any way what so ever. If they do not like non-union businesses like WalMart, they are free to protest them by refusing to patronize their stores.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,622,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I thought they were primarily focused on taxes and deficits. What is the connection between a union plumber and the tax rate??
I honestly think they're part of the reason the auto industry and other industries crashed. They inflate the price of labor and hurt the company.

Then, there's the fact that so many of them are just so corrupt and are used by the democrat part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
They hate union members becouse of the fact that they are a rightwing organisation and right wingers hate unions they are stooges for big business and the wealthy and they have been that ever since Dick armey founded the Tea party.
This type of response is just so typical. Instead of actually addressing the issue, you pretend to be able to judge motive and tell us what we think and why we do it. Honestly...this type of garbage is the reason we don't take lefties seriously.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,297 times
I don't think that Tea Partiers hate union members. They hate the union itself and the greedy leaders that run them. The unions have drifted too far from their original objectives, which were fair wages and work conditions. Instead, they've become puppets of the Democrat party, championing causes such as abortion, gun control, opposition to the war in Iraq, etc., without asking the rank and file union members whether they agree with it or not.

I'm a member of the Amalgamated Transit Union (not by choice ), and all the propaganda that I receive from them is "Dems good, Reps bad". And it sucks that some of my union dues are being used to campaign for the people that are bent on destroying this country.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Why did GM go bankrupt? Why is the state of California paying about billions every year to state employee union pensions?

"Approximately 85% of the state's 235,000 employees (not including higher education employees) are unionized. As the governor noted during his $83 billion budget roll-out, over the past decade pension costs for public employees increased 2,000%. State revenues increased only 24% over the same period. A Schwarzenegger adviser wrote in the San Jose Mercury News in the past few days that, "This year alone, $3 billion was diverted to pension costs from other programs." There are now more than 15,000 government retirees statewide who receive pensions that exceed $100,000 a year, according to the California Foundation for Fiscal Responsibility."

Steven Greenhut: Public Employee Unions Are Sinking California - WSJ.com

We despise greed, fraud and waste, whatever shape it takes, while apparently your side excuses it, even if it is destructive to your own state and way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies