Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,644,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
So when you have your mother's maiden name and your father's last name it means that you don't support traditional marriage?

It's funny that you complain about your traditions being destroyed but you have no problem destroying others' traditions because they don't fit into the idea of what you consider "American".

I come from a country where the mother's maiden name is always carried by the child and it's carried after the father's last name. When we came to this country this caused confusion since the norm here is to use whatever name is last on any documentation. I still get mail under my mother's maiden name when the family name is my dad's and I can't change it because that's the way that it is on all my documents so I have to constantly tell people I do business with not to use my mother's maiden name.

In the end, you're completely off base since culture is an ever changing thing, it doesn't remain stagnant. Even if you have a completely homogenous society, things like technology and individual ideas will always change it. Youth always rebels and their way of thinking will change things while the youth that rebels against them will change things and so on. The only traditions that remain are the ones that an entire society agrees on and they usually have to do more with entertainment than anything else.

Introduce a great amount of different cultures at once and you have big changes within a small amount of time like we do in this country. Just look back and how much change happened in the 20th century alone when it comes to everyday living. For example, you can't tell me that christmas is celebrated the same way today as it was in the '50s and you can't tell me that it was celbrated the same way in the '50s as it was at the turn of the century. Hell, "American" christmas was an amalgamated holiday that incorporated traditions from England, Mexico, Sweden, Switzerland, France and Germany. There were no christmas trees, poinsettias, caroling, christmas lights or the variety of christmas foods we're used to before the traditions of the countries I mentioned before were adopted here.

The great thing about this country is that it is run by a system that allows for and protects individuality even against a bigoted majority like yourself. You see your way of life in danger of being erradicated without realizing that it already has been several times and not by other cultures but by technology and youth alone.

As far as the original question posed: The day that white people in this country stop reffering to people of color as anything other than American is the day that hyphens will dissapear.

Well if you don't like the way we do things here in AMERICA, then take your happy a$$ back to where you came from.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,463,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Naw, pretty much it boils down to one thing. The Progressive liberal mentality and agenda. All the little details are part of the larger disease that is Progressivism.
The "larger disease" that is "Progressivism" is why you are even able to vote and participate in political discussions, "MOgal."

By all means, shouldn't you be cooking something in a kitchen right now, instead of speaking to men on the internet? As if your opinion is equal or something?

BTW... "progressivism" is also why children are not allowed to work in factories and why we have standards for food and drugs that enter the population for consumption.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,688,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Well if you don't like the way we do things here in AMERICA, then take your happy a$$ back to where you came from.
And how exactly do 'we do things' here in America? From what I've seen, different regions do things quite differently and we're a hodge podge of different types of people and cultures.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,140,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I figured I would ask since so many of the posters on here use the term African-American, Asian-American etc.. In my opinion if you are not originally from Africa or Asia, or Latin America then shut up!
I no more concern about what you think I should call myself than my concern about what water fountain you think I should drink from.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,276,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
White Privilege Card!

Which is due to expire in the not too distance future with a helluva balance!
You really seem to have an axe to grind with Whites. Why is that?

Also you do know even if the unfettered illegal immigration continues and whites do drop below 50% we will still be far and away the largest ethnic group in this country.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I no more concern about what you think I should call myself than my concern about what water fountain you think I should drink from.
nice job of race-baiting with the water fountain comment.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,743,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I figured I would ask since so many of the posters on here use the term African-American, Asian-American etc.. In my opinion if you are not originally from Africa or Asia, or Latin America then shut up! How ridiculous would be if all non minorities started calling themselves Russian-Americans or Irish-American or in my case a Irish-English American. Point being either your an American and just an American or you have a serious identity problem. These terms continue to seperate us by our skin color, race or national origin. I think most people would agree that there is far to much of that going on without adding the hyphenated-American crap to it. Just one "Americans" opinion though.
Its the same old pattern......things that "minorities" do tick you off.....and you use the hyphenation thing (playing the hyphenation card...lol) as an excuse to be ticked off at them....but even even without the hyphenation......you would still see them different from you because they don't look like you....and you would still be ticked off at them about something else.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The "larger disease" that is "Progressivism" is why you are even able to vote and participate in political discussions, "MOgal."

By all means, shouldn't you be cooking something in a kitchen right now, instead of speaking to men on the internet? As if your opinion is equal or something?

BTW... "progressivism" is also why children are not allowed to work in factories and why we have standards for food and drugs that enter the population for consumption.

Right, only lefties can protect the little kiddies and the food we eat. You Libs ceast to amaze me at how egomaniacal you can be.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Its the same old pattern......things that "minorities" do tick you off.....and you use the hyphenation thing (playing the hyphenation card...lol) as an excuse to be ticked off at them....but even even without the hyphenation......you would still see them different from you because they don't look like you....and you would still be ticked off at them about something else.
Wrong, it just seems to me if minorities have to be referred to with these hyphenated names then the term "white guy/gal" should also ceast to exist.

From now on I demand to be referred to as a Irish-English American or I will be offended!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM

50,463 posts, read 64,328,280 times
Oh. I thought you were posting about when Stephanie Ann Lewis-Finefrock marries Anthony James Anderson-Oglethorpe....then their kids might be Susie and Jason Lewis-Finefrock-Anderson-Oglethorpe. Incidentally, they would be English-Irish-Swedish-Dutch-Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies