Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times

Advertisements

If we cannot honor our own dead without disrespecting a religion then we are hitting a low ebb for certain. I will likely do nothing that day except think on my private memories of how much the tragedy has cost everyone, including ourselves. I have my own problems with most of the world's religions, including Christianity, but would not burn a symbol of any of them because I do not have a right to dictate someone's choice of faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 PM

57,338 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I guess that just proves my thought that there really are no "moderates" in islam---there are extremists (the devout ones) and the squishy ones that just don't care.
The soldiers in Afghanistan are trying to convince the muslims that we are an all inclusive nation and respectful of other religions, actions like this are very damaging to that mission. We are trying to convince muslims that are on the fence that we trustworty and this will severly damage relations.

Petraeus is one of the most respected generals in both administrations and you still doubt his opinion, this burning will be used as a recruitment film for terrorists and get more soldiers killed. If the point is to escalate the war and get more soldiers killed then this will be a complete success. The reverend is a complete and utter fool along with his so called religious following.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 PM

57,338 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Book burning is stupid, I agree. However, maybe some of the senior citizens posting here can tell me if Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower ever requested of American people not to burn Mien Kemp during WWII?
So now we are comparing Mein Kamph to the Quran, can Nazi's to Muslims be far behind. Your analogy is a poor one.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:56 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In Nazi Germany book burning was common as it always is in a country that has lost it's way. Now I see that America is following the Nazi path to self destruction.

Doing this will make America look like early Nazi Germany.........
US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A Christian minister vowed Tuesday to go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Quran to protest the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks despite warnings from the White House and the top U.S. general in Afghanistan that he would endanger American troops overseas.

US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning - broken link)

I'm ashamed of America when I read crap like this.
Blow it out your @#$! One stupid church does not speak for all Americans anymore then your condemnation of America does.

If you have noticed, unless you've been biting at the bit to blame America first, then you'd have noticed a sharp outcry from many Americans over this stunt.

FWIW, the Nazi book burnings were supported by the state, the US government does not sanction this book burning.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Blow it out your @#$! One stupid church does not speak for all Americans anymore then your condemnation of America does.

If you have noticed, unless you've been biting at the bit to blame America first, then you'd have noticed a sharp outcry from many Americans over this stunt.

FWIW, the Nazi book burnings were supported by the state, the US government does not sanction this book burning.
But a small percentage of Radical Muslims represents the much larger percentage of normal, non-radical Muslims right?

Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,486,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Make the US look like Nazi Germany...?

That is over dramatic.....

I support their right to do it. 100 percent.
Agreed.

This is not a problem. However, it will be a problem when our government, or an entity sanctioned by ourgoverment, starts burning books.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,013,833 times
Just like the American's burning their own flag, they have a right to do it, yes, but like the mosque at ground zero, is it wise? The answer is no.

3,197 posts, read 2,854,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.

This is not a problem. However, it will be a problem when our government, or an entity sanctioned by ourgoverment, starts burning books.
This is a problem. They were denied a permit to do this public burning so it is technically illegal. The article that states this is in post number 5.

12,372 posts, read 9,320,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Almost unanimous is the outcry from Christians around the world and here at home against this idiot and his attention seeking ploy of burning a book considered holy by millions. His vicious publicity stunt is unChristian, unAmerican, and unPatriotic. He is endangering our troops, making America look ugly throughout the world, and displaying the same type of ignorance as that shown by those who perpetuated 9/11 in the first place. He and his type are no different than the terrorist who would destroy all with which they disagree.
I couldn't agree more! That so-called "Christian" minister should pay attention to what Petraeus is saying. He understands the culture over there and when he says the minister's actions will put American soldiers at risk, we ought to listen. What a tool those photos will become for extremists to inflame anti-American feelings abroad. Shameless and irresponsible behavior!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,243,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The soldiers in Afghanistan are trying to convince the muslims that we are an all inclusive nation and respectful of other religions, actions like this are very damaging to that mission. We are trying to convince muslims that are on the fence that we trustworty and this will severly damage relations.

Petraeus is one of the most respected generals in both administrations and you still doubt his opinion, this burning will be used as a recruitment film for terrorists and get more soldiers killed. If the point is to escalate the war and get more soldiers killed then this will be a complete success. The reverend is a complete and utter fool along with his so called religious following.
So why do you libs insist only on one way tolerance and understanding?

We're rednecks intolerant bigots if we oppose a mosque 2 blocks from ground zero, an act that garnered much support in the muslim world which killed 2000 americans..... But if muslims threaten death and violently protest the actions of a church of 50 people in Florida and blame all Americans for it.. can you see your double standard? Why not expect some of the understanding and tolerance from muslims as well? Or is okay for them to lump all of us together, but we're bigots of we do so with even just the muslim extremists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies