Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,317 times

Advertisements

Speech that May Endanger Others
Not all speech is protected under the first amendment. Speech that defames, endangers, or incites to violence is prohibited, but there are fine lines in determining actual threats. It’s illegal, for example, to order someone killed. But expressions of sympathy and support for unlawful actions are Constitutionally protected.

Rev. Jones will get around this. The violence and threat is not happening on American soil.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
That's ridiculous. Petraeus is wading into this debate because he has an opinion as to what will happen to his soldiers as a result of this action - and he has real cause for concern, by the way. He's not saying anything about the Constitutionality of the action, flag burning, or any other expression of free speech in this country. Do you see the difference, or do you just like to make desperate, partisan straw man arguments? Why does Petraeus have to project an opinion on every matter of Constitutionally protected speech? That doesn't even begin to make any earthly sense.
I didn't say he's questioning the Constitutionality. I said he shouldn't weigh in unless he intends to weigh in on every Constitutionally-protected forms of speech that are detrimental to troop welfare. There are many ways that free speech is detrimental - I used flag burning as an example. Why should he stop at the Quran? Why not tackle other issues such as flag-burning that has in the past had detrimental effects on troop morale in times of war?

The point is that there's no logical reason to open that can of worms unless he intends to tackle every concievable form of speech that harms his troops.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Make the US look like Nazi Germany...?

That is over dramatic.....

I support their right to do it. 100 percent.
For a pastor to preach such vile hatred is to say the least a little uncalled for. To incite others to carry out such acts is sad.Let the big man do it alone if he feels the need...

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'm not siding with this pastor, as I don't agree with what he is doing, but it is his freedom. Just like the freedom of people to burn the American flag. No difference.
Big difference.More akin with burning the Bible. The American flag has been burnt and trampled over in countless countries around the world,including Europe. Not saying it is right but it is a fact. Where as a religion,a belief or philosophy,how ever one wishes to call it,surely transends a flag or a nation in it's order on the scale of importance?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In Nazi Germany book burning was common as it always is in a country that has lost it's way. Now I see that America is following the Nazi path to self destruction.

Doing this will make America look like early Nazi Germany.........
US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A Christian minister vowed Tuesday to go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Quran to protest the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks despite warnings from the White House and the top U.S. general in Afghanistan that he would endanger American troops overseas.

US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning - broken link)

I'm ashamed of America when I read crap like this.
Oh please..

And just what would you say if the tables were turned, and the Bible was being burned by a Muslim?

Liberals!! Ugh...

Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, I agree that burning Quarans is bad form. But we will be like Nazi Germany not when Quarans are burned, but when protesting those burnings becomes illegal.
Well yes i see what you mean...out of curiosity how does the US law stand on a citizen burning the flag,a bible together with a $10 note,while wearing a Bin Laden tee shirt while abusing the troops in Afghanistan...guess an ultimate attack on American values in the crudest sense and claiming it is there right under the banner of freedom.
Surly this person wouldn't be allowed to claim this as a right?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
For a pastor to preach such vile hatred is to say the least a little uncalled for. To incite others to carry out such acts is sad.Let the big man do it alone if he feels the need...
It's a total CHRISTIAN FAIL!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
how is burning the religious text used by the countries who war against us a form of nazi?.
why is it when americans do anything to resist and defend themselves in any manner they are called nazi? or KKK? since when was it our identity and obligation to be abused?????

Old 09-08-2010, 03:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The soldiers in Afghanistan are trying to convince the muslims that we are an all inclusive nation and respectful of other religions, actions like this are very damaging to that mission. We are trying to convince muslims that are on the fence that we trustworty and this will severly damage relations.

Petraeus is one of the most respected generals in both administrations and you still doubt his opinion, this burning will be used as a recruitment film for terrorists and get more soldiers killed. If the point is to escalate the war and get more soldiers killed then this will be a complete success. The reverend is a complete and utter fool along with his so called religious following.
I just think it's naive to think that w/out this they'd want to sit around the campfire with our soldiers and make smores while belting out a "koombya". You may disagree with me...but that's the way it is.

Will they use this as a propoganda piece? Probably. But then there is a lot in our society they use as propoganda pieces. Bottom line is that the jihadists fired the first shot.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
.... Bottom line is that the jihadists fired the first shot.
All jihadists may be Muslim, but not all Muslims are jihadists. I think it would be great to keep it that way, considering the numbers we are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies