Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 AM

783 posts, read 814,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Because they're backwards assed people who don't believe or more to the point don't/can't understand real science like evolution and they're hell bent on churning out another generation of theist zombies to carry the torch.

However, reason and logic will always win this war of attrition despite being slowed and burdened with the dead weight of the superstitious. Science and the progress it brings will move forward. Religion is losing it's utility in light of better explanations for mankind's origins and place in the world and universe at large.
Well put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
most 'home-schoolers' that are here on long island have nothing to do with 'evangelicals', but to due with the safety of the students. most home schoolers are from the impovershed neighborhoods
Hmm defintely not the norm.

Parents who home-school children increasingly are white, wealthy and well-educated — and their numbers have nearly doubled in a decade, a new federal government report says. . you can read the article here:
More higher-income families are home schooling their children - USATODAY.com

Old 09-12-2010, 10:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Hmm defintely not the norm.

Parents who home-school children increasingly are white, wealthy and well-educated — and their numbers have nearly doubled in a decade, a new federal government report says. . you can read the article here:
More higher-income families are home schooling their children - USATODAY.com
didnt say it was the norm...I said here on long island this was what was happening now....when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, you saw lots of home schooling...and yes it was quite evangelical (religious based)

many rich are starting it, because they can afford to home school, or tutor school

Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,875 times
Quote:
Because most home schooling parents disagree with the teachings of public schools. Public Schools teach evolution, acceptance of homosexuality as normal behavior, and much else that is not acceptable to a believing Christian. They don't want their children indoctrinated with those teachings. They are willing to pay the price in time and money to teach their children what they believe as followers of God.
Public schools do not teach that homosexuality is okay (at least, most don't) I'm a teacher and have NEVER come across that in any school I've worked in or attended as a student.

That said, I admit that there are good reasons to homeschool kids. Bullying, overly disruptive students, and teaching toward the test are one among several reasons. But please don't say that public schools have this co-ordinated secular agenda. School districts vary across the board.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,164 times
Wink Why are most Home-Schooled students Evangelical Christian?

Yes, indeed...

Fundy fathers and mothers don't want Sonny and Susie exposed to godless science and evil evolution. It's much better for their kids to grow up believing that Adam and Eve rode to Sunday school on dinosaurs.

fairy tales... some of us outgrow 'em

Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
What is wrong with hone schooling? Maybe the parents want their kids to actually learn something. They don't need all the extra crap that the schools teach. It takes up unneccessary time. You don't have to deal with bulling, or who is popular and who is not. School is supposed to be about learning. And the public schools are not teaching the kids anything worth while these days.
Yes. Bottom line is public schools leave a lot to be desired these days. And more and more people are chosing to home school.
Secular or religious it is a good choice.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Because most home schooling parents disagree with the teachings of public schools. Public Schools teach evolution, acceptance of homosexuality as normal behavior, and much else that is not acceptable to a believing Christian. They don't want their children indoctrinated with those teachings. They are willing to pay the price in time and money to teach their children what they believe as followers of God.
Excuse me, but among the 'believing Christians' I know, about 95% believe in Evolution, and probably 75% accept homosexuality as 'normal behavior'.

Those who don't believe in Evolution are people I only know because they are on the cleaning crews of my office buildings.

Those who 'don't accept homosexuality as normal' tend to be big ol' closet cases who hate their own inner-urges.

There was a security guard who worked out at my old gym. Always running around talking about 'the homos', and what the Bible says....and what ought to be done to 'the homos'. Except when he was in the locker-room, hitting on the good looking men. It was a scream, because the men he would hit on, would tell the rest of us. We called him "Queen Nefertiti", because he wore a big Nefertiti pendant necklace thingie. "Hey, you know that one they call Queen Nefertiti? One that's always raggin' on the gays? Well, he tried to grab my ---- in the shower, last week." and "Hey! Ya shoulda seen Nefertiti in the shower, last night...had on a green facial masque, and a shower cap over his Jeri Curl....talkin' about the homos, as usual..."

However, I'm all for homeschooling. For people who cannot afford private schools, and for people who live where there are no private schools, they are often the only option for those who want to avoid sending their kids to public schools, which are worse than concentration camps. I mean, some schools these days are like mental wards for the Criminally Insane.

The only homeschooling parents I know are intensely smart people, who had bad experiences, themselves, in schools, and who wish to spare their children the cruelty that prevails in school environments today: even in most private schools. The homeschooled kids I know are really wonderful people, because they haven't had their humanity stripped away by the pack mentality almost inevitable in school settings.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So all public schools are alike? What if you live in an affluent area that has excellent public schools?
So is that yes or no?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Them public schools be corrupting our youth. They don't teach them stuff like angels existing and Noah's ark being true and stuff. Public schools teach blasphemy like evolution, gravity, and the heliocentric theory. Plus they don't allow a good whooping once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Do you really want to compare the educational achievements of home schooled/church schooled kids to those of the public school flunkies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
What about home schooled kids versus private prep school kids? You sure you want to go there?

I'm not really interested in high dollar fat cat bratt academies like Sidwell Friends that charge $28K per year (three times the PS rate). I'm interested in the results obtained by the alternatives to public schools that get by on HALF the money the public schools do.

Now, please be so kind as to answer my question.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM

767 posts, read 489,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Yes, indeed...

Fundy fathers and mothers don't want Sonny and Susie exposed to godless science and evil evolution. It's much better for their kids to grow up believing that Adam and Eve rode to Sunday school on dinosaurs.

fairy tales... some of us outgrow 'em
Aren't Sonny and Susie going to be exposed to godlessness when they go to colleges, unless they enroll at Oral Roberts University or some other crackpot college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies