Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 AM

6,057 posts, read 6,002,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Ok, so it's your right to burn the Koran. Still haven't what do you want to accomplish by demonstrating your contempt for Islam?
Besides keeping the West in the dark ages for a long time. Not long ago it would have been the Commies.
Seems they always require an enemy to fixate on.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Burning the Koran is perfectly constitutional. That's fine. Go ahead burn it. Realize that the message you're really sending isn't to the terrorists. They'd be happier actually if you do burn the Koran. You're telling the newly arrived shop owner he really isn't welcome. You're telling the college girl that her dreams of being a teacher will be met with suspicion and hatred. You're telling the doctor that his services aren't welcome on the basis of religion. You're telling those who served our nation their service was meaningless. That's really what you're doing.

If it were the Bible, I would state the same thing. Hell, any religious book. I'm an atheist and I feel that somehow there needs to be respect and tolerance for other religions. Tolerance isn't the same as condoning terrorist acts. People often confuse that. Those people don't understand one of the biggest principles of our nation.

It's about time we set aside our religious differences and realize that we're a nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
Good post...a little respect goes a long way ..as does an understanding of the world outside.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 AM

767 posts, read 490,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I've said it a few times now friend, I'm not sure how many different ways I can tell you. What I want to "accomplish" is to publicly convey a message of contempt toward Islam.
Ok, fair enough. Do you hope to accomplish anything by publicly conveying this message of contempt, or would you be happy with the mere act of expressing yourself.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:09 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,515,792 times
Quote:
Ok, fair enough. Do you hope to accomplish anything by publicly conveying this message of contempt, or would you be happy with the mere act of expressing yourself.
It's the ends, not the means... although I would like to help create a climate where irrationality is ridiculed rather than treated as sacrosanct.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
The return of the Ugly American perhaps?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
It's the ends, not the means... although I would like to help create a climate where irrationality is ridiculed rather than treated as sacrosanct.
Your truth is some ones elses irrationality.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,486,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisterd View Post
Hey, that sounds just like " guns don't kill people, people kill people" thanks for sticking up for us gun toters! LOL
sure. i'm liberal overall but i don't hold the classic liberal stance on guns.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,448,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
what do you accomplish? other than spreading more hatred and vitriol, antagonizing and provoking people, and making a fool of yourself, nothing.

The protest does something that has been needed for a very long time and that is to force the issue of Islamic exceptionalism in America. Generally speaking, in the Mid-East Islam and only Islam is permitted and even if other religions are allowed, they must take a back seat to Islam. This sort of extreme catering to Islam has also been the case in America for some time, albeit in an unofficial way. Americans have time after time bent over backward to avoid offending the the most easily offended religious practitioners on the planet, and we've simply gone too far. We have conceded too much to an intolerant religion that flies in the face of our values, and sometimes into our office buildings.

In America, everyone, and I mean everyone, has to respect the rights of others. If the pastor of a church feels led to burn Qur'ans as a political protest, his right to express himself through this act has to be respected. It is his right. I personally hate to see our flag desecrated as is the common symbolic protest of America haters, but short of an amendment to prohibit the act, it is protected political speech and I accept it. On their part, if Muslims are incapable of tolerating this sort of public criticism and living according to our values recorded in the Constitution, then they have to go.

Last edited by momonkey; 09-10-2010 at 03:06 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry friend, but some principles are worth fighting for. I'm afraid I won't forfeit my right to free speech to appease the Islamic extremist.
Principles are not a word that springs to mind, with a lot of the vile racism articulated by certain folks on these forums...

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,486,032 times
Quote:
exactly. what's wrong with getting the same message across in a way that doesn't put yourself and others in danger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies