Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,559,261 times

Advertisements

Quiet, Beautiful, Serene.

Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The folks that I've met during Friday worship could not have been nicer or more open to discuss ideas, religious or otherwise.

I also sense a frustration that the gap between "reality" (normal, everyday people who just happen to worship one particular branch of the three branches of the Abrahamic faiths) and "television reality" (psychotic, religious nuts who see violence as the answer to everything) is so hard bridge in people's minds.

Criticism of Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abrahamic religions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know "Religion of Peace" is used sarcastically on Internet bulletin boards but from what I've seen and who I've met...it really is a religion of peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,474,072 times
No, women are not allowed in.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,150,800 times
Nope. And I have no plans to, no want to, no need to. I could care less how beautiful their mosques are. Good for them.

Im sure many of them are peaceful. But right now, the violent, hateful ones have taken over their religion. Its on them to get it back.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,821,565 times
No, I have never been in a mosque. I won't put off my shoes anywhere except for home and the beach Nor could I take the presence of so many religious people

I think women are allowed into mosques, but they have their own room.

I also think that Muslims are very nice to people interested in their religion. But I happen to be not.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Nonsense.

I lived in a Muslim country, and women were always allowed in the mosques.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,474,072 times
If you can't mix with the men, then it's discrimination. Not all muslim countries allow women even their own room.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,118,155 times
Quote:
If you can't mix with the men, then it's discrimination. Not all muslim countries allow women even their own room.
Of course it is. What countries are those?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,150,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Nonsense.

I lived in a Muslim country, and women were always allowed in the mosques.
Yes or no answer. Are women treated equally and fairly in Islamic countries and by the faith of Islam in general?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,493,031 times
Quote:
blink. i'm a woman and i've been inside a mosque. more than once.

i noted the same thing as the op. there is a tremendous gap between the everyday average muslim and the fundamentalist fanatic terrorists shown on t.v.

the people were very nice to me despite my having breasts, and the only difference i noted in how i was treated was that the men couldn't shake my hand but they could greet me very politely (which they did).

Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,493,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Yes or no answer. Are women treated equally and fairly in Islamic countries and by the faith of Islam in general?
there's no yes or no here. it varies among countries, communities, other intersecting cultures, generations, families and individuals. i can't stand when people make this issue black-or-white. it simply isn't. the same can be asked of other religions and you will find variation in how women are treated there as well. for example, saudi arabia and morocco are nothing alike despite both being muslim countries. morocco is way more progressive, and from having been there i would say in general, the gender roles are no more or less set than in conservative america. but then look at countries like iran and you have a different story. i also know senegalese women that are muslim but dress just like any westerner and have similar views on women's rights as me. there is variation within islam, just like there is within any religion, country, or culture.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 09-09-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies