Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 PM

37,164 posts, read 42,346,253 times

Advertisements

To me it's completely illogical to assume that because someone is considered ridiculous or dangerous that it means they are doing something right. I suppose it's easier to tell yourself that than reflect on WHY "other people" feel the way they do or to admit that the person who hold in high regard isn't really all that like you thought.

Whenever I hear things like "they are scared" "they fear" "they get so mad at"...followed by the idea that it's a sign of something wonderful I just shake my head in wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,540,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We're still got a deficit, Jon, due to decreases in oil revenues. Some people think that Palin's ACES program played a big part in that.
I'm thinking the cause of that was the same that affected the Scandinavian countries. They basked in high oil prices and when the actualities of the times, not a spectators views, prevailed the hard truths made their way to the forefront. I'm not 100% of the local politics of Alaska but I can still understand the hardships of living beyond one's means because times were good...

Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,906,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
To me it's completely illogical to assume that because someone is considered ridiculous or dangerous that it means they are doing something right. I suppose it's easier to tell yourself that than reflect on WHY "other people" feel the way they do or to admit that the person who hold in high regard isn't really all that like you thought.

Whenever I hear things like "they are scared" "they fear" "they get so mad at"...followed by the idea that it's a sign of something wonderful I just shake my head in wonder.
There seem to be a lot of those who attempt to silence Palin detractors by stating that they are "jealous" or "threatened" by her.

I'll admit to feeling threatened by her and this is why:

because I believe that she does indeed have aspirations of Presidential office while at the same time I also believe that her hand cannot and should not be trusted anywhere near the red button.

She picks fights. That's what Sarah does. We all know that up here. Sarah picks fights and Sarah is a petty and vindictive small minded woman.

My concern would be that someone in foreign power would breathe in some perceived wrong octave pertaining to her footwear or something, or that she'd tease her hair up into that ghastly beehive again and the entire planet would go poof, just like her hair.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
HA HA HA! That makes her ignorant Tweet that much stupider.

And of course, keep the change! Apparently after Failin Palin blows through somewhere, a huge budget deficit seems to follow, so I suspect you guys up there might need it more than we do now.
Ahhh, those compassionate liberals one-more-gain....

Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
HA HA HA! That makes her ignorant Tweet that much stupider.

And of course, keep the change! Apparently after Failin Palin blows through somewhere, a huge budget deficit seems to follow, so I suspect you guys up there might need it more than we do now.
Should we believe the former governor of Alaska, backed up by actual documentation OR an anonymous internet poster who claims there is no surplus?

What a tough choice.

Even IF she had a small deficit, it would be dwarfed by the mess in CA and other liberal bastions of fiscal irresponsibility.

Uhhhh...."failin Palin" is making oodles of money, is in tremendous demand from the media and has an envious Win/Loss record on endorsements, a record somebody who is so toxic to his party would kill for.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,906,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'm thinking the cause of that was the same that affected the Scandinavian countries. They basked in high oil prices and when the actualities of the times, not a spectators views, prevailed the hard truths made their way to the forefront. I'm not 100% of the local politics of Alaska but I can still understand the hardships of living beyond one's means because times were good...
I think we have a surplus again this year though.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,386,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Ahhh, those compassionate liberals one-more-gain....
Yeah, compassion as a human trait SO SUCKSSSSS!

What say you we all just ditch that annoying compassion thing and become ruthless. Oh wait, I forgot....thats why I find aspects of dialogue here nauseating. If folks want to be ruthless and cold blooded, more power to them. Truth is, many humans do not succeed when they try this route. They fall flat on their face. But be my guest. Turn over any compassion cards you have left now!!! We will redistribute them for you!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,524,428 times
Quote:
No she wasn't. She was a barely there governor who showed up to legislative sessions in Juneau about fifteen percent of the time. As mayor of Wasilla, she hired an administrator to do the day to day type of grind work that she didn't want to bother herself with. Didn't stop her from leaving that town pretty deeply in debt though.

Her popularity here was due to the fact that we were sick of F. Murkowski, that's all. And I'm sure someone will bring up those approval ratings again.

Here's the deal on them. Soon after she was elected, the poll came out that was touted all over the media as proof that most Alaskans loved her. There were four choices on that poll---Excellent, Good, Fair, and Bad. Anything besides "bad" was counted as favorable. I gave her a "fair" rating myself, not knowing much about her, simply because she wasn't Frank.
I saw her approval ratings at one point were as high as 93% and went down year after year with the sharpest drops after she was picked for the VP position.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I think we have a surplus again this year though.

Going by the prices of oil, I'd agree. 2009 was a cheap oil year. It was a price adjustment but not one to count on... It's back on a more realistic path if my opinion means anything.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Yeah, compassion as a human trait SO SUCKSSSSS!

What say you we all just ditch that annoying compassion thing and become ruthless. Oh wait, I forgot....thats why I find aspects of dialogue here nauseating. If folks want to be ruthless and cold blooded, more power to them. Truth is, many humans do not succeed when they try this route. They fall flat on their face. But be my guest. Turn over any compassion cards you have left now!!! We will redistribute them for you!

And you'll find yourselves on the ash-heap of history, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies