Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gays be granted asylum in the U.S. if they are in danger of being executed?
Yes 50 47.17%
No 48 45.28%
Not sure 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If the gays in countries where they don't allow it want it to be allowed, they have to change their system. Stop crying and do something about it, is what I'd say to them.
I take it then that you're against asylum in general.

Any person being treated badly by a foreign government for any reason should stop crying to us and instead "do something about it". Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 AM

446 posts, read 649,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I take it then that you're against asylum in general.

Any person being treated badly by a foreign government for any reason should stop crying to us and instead "do something about it". Right?
This. It's really interesting how so many people think it's actually feasible for harassed minorities to just up and change their countries. Anyone who says that... well, let's just say their train never left the station. It shows a failure to understand the basics of how oppressive governments work and the suppression of dissent that goes on in such places.

It's also a major failure of empathy. It's amazing how many people, when they hear about a moral issue like this, go straight for the card. According to the many cold people who wander this Earth--and hang around these forums--actually caring about people is yucky, but they can spend all day and until the last bus leaves talking about abortion.

The bottom line here is, if people have anything resembling a heart, they support asylum for people whose LIVES are in danger for some aspect of WHO they ARE, and they do not claim people are "crying".

Matthew 7:12 ain't called the Golden Rule for nothing. It is something everyone should follow.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
This. It's really interesting how so many people think it's actually feasible for harassed minorities to just up and change their countries. Anyone who says that... well, let's just say their train never left the station. It shows a failure to understand the basics of how oppressive governments work and the suppression of dissent that goes on in such places.

It's also a major failure of empathy. It's amazing how many people, when they hear about a moral issue like this, go straight for the card. According to the many cold people who wander this Earth--and hang around these forums--actually caring about people is yucky, but they can spend all day and until the last bus leaves talking about abortion.

The bottom line here is, if people have anything resembling a heart, they support asylum for people whose LIVES are in danger for some aspect of WHO they ARE, and they do not claim people are "crying".

Matthew 7:12 ain't called the Golden Rule for nothing. It is something everyone should follow.
A refusal to accommodate sexually aberrant behavior from non-citizens does not necessarily translate to a lack of empathy for the individual or group. Do you actually understand the definition of empathy? I believe you confuse it with sympathy.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I no longer wonder why this is called the "me generation" Perhaps some graphics will help evoke just a smidgin of empathy...You know that any one of us could have had the misfortune to be born in another nation...

Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Yeah... I mean, how dare he be who he is? What has this world come to?!
By your logic we should allow rapists, pedophiles, alcoholics, petty thieves, compulsive liars, etc..etc....just "be who they are".

Actions have consequences. Don't do them if your country is some backwards minded fundamentalist islamic country.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A refusal to accommodate sexually aberrant behavior from non-citizens does not necessarily translate to a lack of empathy for the individual or group. Do you actually understand the definition of empathy? I believe you confuse it with sympathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
By your logic we should allow rapists, pedophiles, alcoholics, petty thieves, compulsive liars, etc..etc....just "be who they are".

Actions have consequences. Don't do them if your country is some backwards minded fundamentalist islamic country.
CLANG! CLANG! The train finally arrives at the station! Call me when you guys leave the year 1950.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, we let people in on religious persecution asylum grounds, don't we?

So if we're going to accomodate and let in demonstrable nut cases who speak to people in the sky and believe in fairy people who live in the clouds and play harps all day, the least we can do is let in "teh gay" no?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:46 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I think maybe you guys may be able work out a trade....For every persecuted homosexual allowed into the country send them one fundamentalist Christian...(Lord knows you have enough of them)....That way two problems can be solved at once.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

Which means you're perfectly okay with backwards minded fundamentalist Islamic countries banning churches and killing those who profess a belief in Christianity, right?

Personally, I don't think that's okay and I also think it's disgusting that you would put being gay on the same level as being a thief and rapist.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Which means you're perfectly okay with backwards minded fundamentalist Islamic countries banning churches and killing those who profess a belief in Christianity, right?

Personally, I don't think that's okay and I also think it's disgusting that you would put being gay on the same level as being a thief and rapist.
Shh! You're making too much sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies