Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gays be granted asylum in the U.S. if they are in danger of being executed?
Yes 50 47.17%
No 48 45.28%
Not sure 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 02:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“My life is in a great danger here and if I go back to Saudi Arabia, they will kill me openly in broad daylight,” Asseri said Saturday in an email to NBC.

In a recent interview, Asseri and his lawyer said that the Saudi diplomat was questioned by a Department of Homeland Security official in Los Angeles on Aug. 30 after formally applying for asylum on the grounds that he is a member of a “particular social group” — gays — that would subject him to persecution if he returns to his home country.
Saudi diplomat: 'My life is in danger' - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Saudi Arabia - msnbc.com

It'll be interesting to see how this story develops. I think if a person can provide substantial evidence that he or she is gay and faces death in their home country, they should be granted asylum in the U.S.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 09-11-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 02:57 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,589 times
I think gay foreigners should be granted asylum if their lives are in eminent danger if they return to their native country. The State Department needs to do a thorough background check on them to be sure they are not spies or terrorists and not lying about their sexual orientation to get into the US.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Saudi diplomat: 'My life is in danger' - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Saudi Arabia - msnbc.com

It'll be interesting to see how this story develops. I think if a person can provide substantial evidence that he or she is gay and faces death in their home country, they should be granted asylum in the U.S.
I am a strong believer in gay rights, but I wonder if this could "open the floodgates" so to speak. there are SO MANY anti-gay countries on this Earth that too many would be emboldened to come here. I am also against most immigration because I feel like we are overpopulated already in this country. I especially don't like primitive cultures (anti-gay) coming over. We cannot continue to be overtaxed to provide for foreigners to come over and suck up our social services. There is also potential for abuse. what if a muslim, pole, chinaman pretends to act like a persecuted gay man merely to gain entry to the US? If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am also against most immigration because I feel like we are overpopulated already in this country.
Do you realize that only about 7% of U.S. land is developed? 93% of this country is cropland, forests, deserts, etc.

Quote:
what if a muslim, pole, chinaman pretends to act like a persecuted gay man merely to gain entry to the US? If I'm wrong, please tell me.
That's why they would have to provide substantial evidence that 1) they are gay, and 2) their lives are in danger. In order to gain asylum into this country for any reason, you have to present your case. You can't just sign your name on a piece of paper and say that you're being persecuted.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:18 PM

767 posts, read 489,784 times
Quote:

This should apply to anyone who can prove that their life is in danger as a result of ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, politics, gender, etc.. A thorough investigation should be in order, to ensure no abuse of system.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
NO. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean he/she has to act upon it. He has choices and this is not a reason for amnesty anymore than a woman being beaten by her husband is reason for amnesty. Folks need to stay in their own countries and fix them instead of running here. If a Saudi doesn't like that his country is run under Sharia law he should work to change it. What if all the homosexuals in Muslim countries stood together to make their countries the way they wished them to be? Just sayin.....

Old 09-11-2010, 03:29 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
I voted No

Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Do you realize that only about 7% of U.S. land is developed? 93% of this country is cropland, forests, deserts, etc.
Are you saying you want to ship them off to the desert? lol!
I think you need a fact check too. Just because a land is undeveloped does not mean it is habitable.
Our country does have a population problem as it is.
I happen to love my forest land.

Last edited by Booya; 09-11-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
NO. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean he/she has to act upon it. He has choices and this is not a reason for amnesty anymore than a woman being beaten by her husband is reason for amnesty. Folks need to stay in their own countries and fix them instead of running here. If a Saudi doesn't like that his country is run under Sharia law he should work to change it. What if all the homosexuals in Muslim countries stood together to make their countries the way they wished them to be? Just sayin.....
MOgal you always sum it up perfectly.
But watch out I feel the haters coming. . .

Old 09-11-2010, 03:40 PM

170 posts, read 270,943 times
Why should Gays get all the breaks. What about women who are alleged to have affairs or Female Infanticide. I'm sure we can have over half of the population of oppressed countries wanting to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies