Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
I agree. I can't get over how poor it was compared to Clinton. They both had 8 years, which one had more job growth
The 3 million was a NET after figuring in the DAMAGE done deliberatly by Pelosi and her crew from 2006-2008 ,,, His jobs created was closer to 8 Million and Clintons number is a gross not net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

I'm going out on a sugar-high.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
The 3 million was a NET after figuring in the DAMAGE done deliberatly by Pelosi and her crew from 2006-2008 ,,, His jobs created was closer to 8 Million and Clintons number is a gross not net.
Clinton's number is a net, and no, the damage was insane tax cuts and reckless investing, spurred by Alan "bubbles" Greenspan and the Bush administration. The congress had nothing to do with it... Are you saying they turned the economy around in a matter of month or two? That moment was called the Bubble bursting, and that bubble started expanding after the budget-killing tax cuts, and the foolhardy slashing of the interest rates, years before the Democrats were finally able to gain real numbers in the House.

Look at the numbers. How much money was invested outside the U.S. by American companies after Bush took office? Close to two trillion. How much did the tax cuts cost the U.S. in revenue? Anywhere from 1.6 to 2.5 Trillion (Depending on "feedback" money from lower taxes). The "Job Creators" took that money Bush gave them, sent it overseas, and were allowed to give nothing back.

Greed took over, and when panic finally made an appearance, even the small amount of temporary "Jobs" that were created during the bubble in America had to go. They never had any permanence, that's why the Bush job numbers are so amazingly low. The jobs created under Clinton were not only more numerous, but lasted throughout his tenure. What was different? Higher taxes on the wealthy, and a real understanding of how government works the best.

As for Obama, what would you have him do, after being saddled with the bloody leftovers from a popped Greenspan bubble? Keeping the Bush tax cuts in place does NOTHING for the economy, because it did NOTHING during the worst of the depression, and does NOTHING today. We're not discussing an experiment in lower taxes, we're talking about policy that has been in effect throughout the "Job Killing" depression.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Your assumptions are based on continued trade and abundance of money. As the economy contracts, trade volume goes down. When people do not have money, it matters little how low prices are. It also hurts the sellers, who cannot recover enough to pay their bills.

If you combine the worst aspects of the 1930's (high unemployment, economic depression, homeless, hunger) with the worst aspects of WW2 (rationing, scarcity), you may see the wisdom of "investing" in supplies, rather than stocks and bonds or hoarding paper money.

And two years' worth of supplies should not be of the most expensive items, but of the more mundane items that may become scarce over the short term.

For example, salt. If you are not near a source of salt, and there's a breakdown in transportation - for whatever reason - you're in trouble when you run out. So invest in a 25 lb or 50 lb sack of salt. It's cheap. It'll last for years.

Buy your staples in bulk, too: Flour, sugar, rice, beans, etc.

If you can afford it, buy spare eyeglasses, and stock up on medicines.
Sorry but in the last depression there was no break down in transportation and instead, due to lack of demand, everything became rock bottom cheap as in a fraction of the cost before the depression cheap. There would be no break down of society or transportation and instead, like the last depression, prices would continually drop as suppliers try to chase the few remaining buyers.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Sorry but in the last depression there was no break down in transportation and instead, due to lack of demand, everything became rock bottom cheap as in a fraction of the cost before the depression cheap. There would be no break down of society or transportation and instead, like the last depression, prices would continually drop as suppliers try to chase the few remaining buyers.
Sounds great, if you start off with a buttload of money and your job doesn't disappear.

As for the rest of us... ?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I just disagree. A depression today would look different than it did in the 30's, because of technology.
What if there are severe energy shortages that keep the technology from running 24/7?

It's probable that there would be rationing of both energy.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You forget..Made in the USA existed big time back then.
Barely exists today. Gluten, for example is almost non-existent in the USA. It must be imported.

When we can't pay China for the goods..then what ?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You forget..Made in the USA existed big time back then.
Barely exists today. Gluten, for example is almost non-existent in the USA. It must be imported.

When we can't pay China for the goods..then what ?
We borrow from someone else, silly!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
What's with the silly crystal ball euphemism?

Anyway, it is possible our planet will turn into one of those zombie planets like in those zombie movies.

Quote:
I don't have a crystal ball. Neither do you. But for the sake of having a little fun, let us all pretend that there will be a massive worldwide depression within the next few years. How would you prepare, if you knew this to be coming, and what would you stock up on? Money? Gold? Dvds?

My first suggestion is a depression-era vegetable garden. The one thing you might not be able to count on during a serious long-term depression is proper nutrition for you and your tots. Turning part of your backyard into a source of nourishment may be the simplest and least drastic preparation you can make for hard times. If nothing goes south, you still have a beautiful patch of edible greenery for your family.

I don't know about racks and racks of guns and ammo, unless we actually have some kind of civil war. I would be happy with one decent rifle (I have my AK47), and enough rounds that I pop off warning shots in the air a few times a week, just for fun, and to scare away starving wild dogs that feed on dead bodies.

I would rather spend my money on a modest solar array, with a redundant battery bank. I would also feel more secure with my vehicle converted either to bio-diesel or hydrogen. Both may be created at home, although hydrogen is a little easier to make than finding enough organic material to fill your diesel tank.

There are plenty of other steps I would take in preparation for a decade-long worldwide depression... But what would you do?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
It's not buttload of money. It is boat load of money. Let's keep it real. Thanks.

Quote:
Sounds great, if you start off with a buttload of money and your job doesn't disappear.

As for the rest of us... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies