Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 PM

344 posts, read 199,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
250k is middle class...upper middle class....but still middle class
So upper middle class extends to the top 2% of wage earners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:46 AM

968 posts, read 2,062,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
250k is middle class...upper middle class....but still middle class

I used to think I was middle class, but according to your definition I'm not even close. Oh poor me!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You are looking at all of these people as if they are an employee, and their take home pay is $250k.

Someone who owns a small business and files as a Sub Chapter S will put all their business income on their tax returns. It may look like a lot of money, but once they pay employees, and expenses, they may actually be living off $70k a year.
I am on disability. A while back there was a home business and we made 20k one year. Since the "we" is not more the business isn't either but it allowed us to pay the bills.

I would be SO happy with 70k spending money in one year. I could even afford a vacation.

Things are ALWAYS relative. If you don't live in a state with mega expenses, 70k spendable income would certainly cover a comfortable way to live. If your talking about three cars and all the requisite toys, it might not but comfortable is something which makes life ok without the stress of paying for things you have just to have.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No..it's been arbitrarily defined by the current Obama administration.

The median income cannot be arbitrarily defined, since it's a mathematical function.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Here's the difference between conservatives and liberals ... liberals view deficits as proof that taxes need to be increased ... conservatives view it as a sign that we need to reduce spending (stop digging).
News flash - tax cuts need to be paid for. When something is paid for, money is spent. Everyone wants tax cuts, but no one wants to pay for them. If the conservative approach to deficits is to reduce spending, that must be an approach that totally ignores the impact on the deficit of more or extended tax cuts.

Quote:
Liberals are like crack addicts ... they need a fix ... they go steal more to pay for it .... Conservatives are like rehab centers ... stop doing crack.
Change a few words around, and the same can be said for conservatives and tax cuts.

Quote:
I suggest you start forming your own opinions instead of regurgitating someone else's ... or at least find a truthful opinion to adopt.
Good advice - but I prefer advice from people who practice what they preach ... which is why I tend not to believe our elected Republican officials.

Either extend the tax cuts for 97% of Americans, or let them expire as the tax-cut-fraud Republicans wrote into law. I'm like everyone else - I like paying less in taxes. But when I look at the cost (spending) of the tax cuts, and the increasing burden that places on all of us as well as future generations, I say (get ready for it - here comes my own opinion) let them all expire as the Republicans planned to have happen. Let them go back to pre-2001 levels ... when there was a budget surplus rather than deficit, when we had actually made a dent in the national debt, and when the economy was in much better shape.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
So upper middle class extends to the top 2% of wage earners?
Yes. Because you look at 2% and just see a small number. But what you really have to look at is difference in lifestyle and real life. Lifestyle between $250 and $50k not as different as lifestyle of millions vs $250k.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I suggest reinstating the tax code of 1955 indexed for inflation. We were doing quite well during the fifties.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:22 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
News flash - tax cuts need to be paid for. When something is paid for, money is spent. Everyone wants tax cuts, but no one wants to pay for them. If the conservative approach to deficits is to reduce spending, that must be an approach that totally ignores the impact on the deficit of more or extended tax cuts.

Change a few words around, and the same can be said for conservatives and tax cuts.

Good advice - but I prefer advice from people who practice what they preach ... which is why I tend not to believe our elected Republican officials.

Either extend the tax cuts for 97% of Americans, or let them expire as the tax-cut-fraud Republicans wrote into law. I'm like everyone else - I like paying less in taxes. But when I look at the cost (spending) of the tax cuts, and the increasing burden that places on all of us as well as future generations, I say (get ready for it - here comes my own opinion) let them all expire as the Republicans planned to have happen. Let them go back to pre-2001 levels ... when there was a budget surplus rather than deficit, when we had actually made a dent in the national debt, and when the economy was in much better shape.
Tax increases do not bring in more revenue. They stunt growth.

But as Obama said "It's not fair".

Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest reinstating the tax code of 1955 indexed for inflation. We were doing quite well during the fifties.
I'm all for it.

Low state sales tax (if any) no state or local income tax, very low property taxes.

Best idea i've heard all day!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Sheople like you crack me up.

Tax cuts did not have anything to do with our debt. In fact, record revenue came in under Bush. When the tax code is fair, people will report more income. Jobs are created.

SPENDING is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies