Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,444,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Or that deists don't. I mean, that's just. . . odd. Deists by definition believe in G-d as the creator. This thread is .

The Franklin quote clearly indicates that he is not a deist since he is asserting that God is active in the lives of men. Furthermore, the statement about a bird falling to the ground relates to the teachings of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,564,299 times
So, Ben believed in God. So what?

Satan believes in God too. Heck, he's met Him personally! Does that mean anything he does is Godly too?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:11 AM

338 posts, read 311,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Franklin quote clearly indicates that he is not a deist since he is asserting that God is active in the lives of men. Furthermore, the statement about a bird falling to the ground relates to the teachings of Christ.

Which part of HistorianDude's post (#15) didn't you understand?

"Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."

Benjamin Franklin: Autobiography, Poor Richard, and Later Writings. New York, NY: Library of America. pp. 619.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,110,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
Which part of HistorianDude's post (#15) didn't you understand?

"Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."

Benjamin Franklin: Autobiography, Poor Richard, and Later Writings. New York, NY: Library of America. pp. 619.
They don't understand unless you bombard them w/ 30 minutes of Anti-immigrant, American, minority, deficit (unless their creating it), government expansion (again unless they're expanding it), and commercials for gold. Then and ONLY then can you lead them to water. It's apparently how their brain function works for message clarity. Go figure.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,713,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And why ass*ume that "libs" don't believe in God?
how can one not assume that libs ar.e anti-God? Their entire ideology is based on that. THAT is the defining issue in America right now. You are either for policies that completely contradict Gods laws, or you are a conservative

Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM

15,885 posts, read 21,497,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
how can one not assume that libs ar.e anti-God? Their entire ideology is based on that. THAT is the defining issue in America right now. You are either for policies that completely contradict Gods laws, or you are a conservative
But Conservatives think they're G-d and have the right to judge what is right and what is wrong before him. If the religious right took a few pages out of the Bible besides the ones condemning others once in awhile, we probably would have a kinder society.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,609,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Show that old Ben didn't accept God but was just some kind of deist. Spin away.

"I have lived, Sir, a long time; and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this Truth, that God governs in the Affairs of Men. And if a Sparrow cannot fall to the Ground without his Notice, is it probable that an Empire can rise without his Aid?" --Benjamin Franklin, Motion for Prayers in the Constitutional Convention, 1787

Got a source for your quote?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,713,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But Conservatives think they're G-d and have the right to judge what is right and what is wrong before him. If the religious right took a few pages out of the Bible besides the ones condemning others once in awhile, we probably would have a kinder society.
Conservatives are fighting back The silent majority is fed up and finally standing up to the liberals. Ironically it is pres Obama who is responsible for the movement
Average americans are realizing that liberalism is NOT the answer.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM

37,159 posts, read 42,313,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
LOL. You are not that far off!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 16,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid2001 View Post
jesus had one, and so could you

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jdqi6pdlwoe/sww0pkv_06i/aaaaaaaaaa0/wslnp_wpwhy/s320/jesus+dinosaur (broken link)
lmao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies