Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No one knows better than people in the NY metro area that there are terrorists living amongst us. It's also nothing new. They were living here in 1993, too, and I've no doubt that some are here since.

You absolutely cannot, however, assume that someone might be a terrorist just because he or she is a Muslim and curtail that person's rights and freedom because of your fear. If you live that way, then you toss out the window everything this country is supposed to stand for. Living with a Constitution such as ours includes taking risks that something COULD happen. There are no guarantees that you will be safe, ever, and there never were.

The World Trade Center itself was getting threats of sabotage and bomb scares since back in the 1980's. It was hit in 1993, and the threats continued in between. It was well-known that taking it down was still a goal of terrorists, and every last one of us who worked there was aware of that.

Some people did not return to the WTC after 9/11 because of that knowledge. The rest of us stayed. It was a wonderful place to work. You can stay somewhere and be safe and live in suspicion of a shadowy "them", but then, you don't get to work in the sky.

You can likewise let yourself be suspicious and frightened of people who don't think like you or don't look like you or have a different religion than you, but then you limit your possibilities in much the same way.

(Just to be clear, I am using "you" in a general sense here.)
I understand what your saying, I do, however, you also have to understand, that the Trojan Horse is being used....and in years to come, they will take over the world, b/c we allowed them to, legally, they had they're rights...etc....and they hide behind good Muslims...and pretend to like us....

I never felt like this until 911 happened...and then was asked to open my eyes and see them all around...in this country...

as well as you say, you can't be suspiciouse and frightened, you also cannot remain naieve...I don't believe there will be another attack in the U.S. as long as no one burns Korans or does anything against the Muslim communities, b/c they are strategically working at they're plan which will take 3 - 5 generations, but they will succeed, 1. Because we are so naieve and trusting, 2. Because they said so...they are a very patient people and achieve they're goals thru generations of strategic planning, and 3. Because there will be so many of them...and then many of them will revert back or die....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
why does the imam feel that he has to build it there? With all the ill feelings towards it? How many American muslims are really in favor of that propsal anyway? I would assume that if they live in NYC then they would be happy with a new facility anywhere in the city. There's just no good reason to build it there. but 3000+ reasons not to
As he has stated from the beginning, which was long before there were any "ill feelings" stirred up by the media, he was building it there because he felt it was an appropriate neighborhood in which to locate a facility that was dedicated to understanding between the different religions and cultures of New York City, to counteract the hatred that had caused the attacks that happened two blocks south. The World Trade Center site is not a pile of destruction and has not been for a very long time. It is a place of rebirth and looking forward and a place of remembrance. Is it so very difficult to consider that a MUSLIM might actually have those same sentiments as those trying to rebuild other parts of the area?

Hmm, and there's one of those cliches again.

Why are there 3000+ reasons not to? If you say that, then you are saying you think these people had something to do with the 9/11 attacks. Do you have evidence of that?

And what about the 9/11 Peaceful Tomorrow families of 200 9/11 victims who support this center and what the imam is trying to do? Do you dismiss what they have done since they lost their loved ones just because you don't agree with their support? I admire these people immensely. They took unfathomable grief and used it to reach out across cultures and oceans and countries hoping to make this world a better place so that what happened to their sons and daughters and spouses and parents doesn't happen again. I have far, far more respect for those people than I do for people who are wasting their limited days on earth drawing signs and calling in death threats to a residential community board.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I understand what your saying, I do, however, you also have to understand, that the Trojan Horse is being used....and in years to come, they will take over the world, b/c we allowed them to, legally, they had they're rights...etc....and they hide behind good Muslims...and pretend to like us....

I never felt like this until 911 happened...and then was asked to open my eyes and see them all around...in this country...

as well as you say, you can't be suspiciouse and frightened, you also cannot remain naieve...I don't believe there will be another attack in the U.S. as long as no one burns Korans or does anything against the Muslim communities, b/c they are strategically working at they're plan which will take 3 - 5 generations, but they will succeed, 1. Because we are so naieve and trusting, 2. Because they said so...they are a very patient people and achieve they're goals thru generations of strategic planning, and 3. Because there will be so many of them...and then many of them will revert back or die....
I have no answer for this. It sounds completely paranoid to me. It's the same fear that was expressed in the 19th century when people argued to free black slaves. They were going to run wild, take over the country and kill all the white people. It's the same fear that was expressed in 1960 when a Catholic was running for president of the United States. The pope was going to be calling all the shots and take over our country. It's the same fear that was expressed in 2007 when Mitt Romney was vying for a presidential candidate slot. The Mormons view our government as subservient to the will of their church, and once he got in, they were going to take over our country.

I am not naive. I KNOW what it feels like to be in a building when a jet airliner slams into it. Unlike you, I do believe there will be another attack in the US eventually, and it will have nothing to do with what we may or may not do. There is a terrorist faction out there that believes all Americans have an agenda to destroy Islam and kill their children and take their land, just as you and many others believe that all Muslims have an agenda to take over our country.

I also know there is no "them", and that's where we differ the most. There are only individuals.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
Are they going to RE-build the Greek Orthodox Christian Church (Saint Nicholas’s) at Ground Zero?
If there were as much support for rebuilding the Greek Orthodox Christian Church as there is for building a mosque perhaps this would not be such a big deal. But there isn’t.
If the mosque was being supported by ardent PRO-American muslims who have purged ANY pro-terrorist members or money from their organizations and if they were to dedicate and name the new mosque in honor of all the muslims murdered on 9-11 by the terrorists and if the same organization came out REPEATEDLY AND PUBLICLY AGAINST RADICAL ISLAMIC EXTREMEISM AND TERRORISM and if they helped the Greeks rebuild the Church THEN there would likely be NO opposition to the Ground Zero mosque and AMERICANS of the muslim faith would likely be accepted with FAR greater enthusiasm.
But, since the current Ground Zero mosque crowd is sooooo well funded by KNOWN terrorists and states and organizations that support terrorism (as well as with US tax-payers money, sadly) then they are very likely to see continued vigorous resentment and resistance to ANY mosque being built anywhere in the US not just at Ground Zero.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
As he has stated from the beginning, which was long before there were any "ill feelings" stirred up by the media, he was building it there because he felt it was an appropriate neighborhood in which to locate a facility that was dedicated to understanding between the different religions and cultures of New York City, to counteract the hatred that had caused the attacks that happened two blocks south. The World Trade Center site is not a pile of destruction and has not been for a very long time. It is a place of rebirth and looking forward and a place of remembrance. Is it so very difficult to consider that a MUSLIM might actually have those same sentiments as those trying to rebuild other parts of the area?

Hmm, and there's one of those cliches again.

Why are there 3000+ reasons not to? If you say that, then you are saying you think these people had something to do with the 9/11 attacks. Do you have evidence of that?

And what about the 9/11 Peaceful Tomorrow families of 200 9/11 victims who support this center and what the imam is trying to do? Do you dismiss what they have done since they lost their loved ones just because you don't agree with their support? I admire these people immensely. They took unfathomable grief and used it to reach out across cultures and oceans and countries hoping to make this world a better place so that what happened to their sons and daughters and spouses and parents doesn't happen again. I have far, far more respect for those people than I do for people who are wasting their limited days on earth drawing signs and calling in death threats to a residential community board.
Even if what you say is true (that the imam wanted to counteract the haterd, etc) then doesn't the imam feel obliged to make it a peaceful project? The hatred that you speak of is directly related to the location of his planned project. So far the imam has shown no desire to listen to the millions of americans who oppose his plans based on the location of the mosque.

I never said that the imam had anything to do with 9-11. It seems like you are trying to stir something up with comments like that.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Are they going to RE-build the Greek Orthodox Christian Church (Saint Nicholas’s) at Ground Zero?
If there were as much support for rebuilding the Greek Orthodox Christian Church as there is for building a mosque perhaps this would not be such a big deal. But there isn’t.
If the mosque was being supported by ardent PRO-American muslims who have purged ANY pro-terrorist members or money from their organizations and if they were to dedicate and name the new mosque in honor of all the muslims murdered on 9-11 by the terrorists and if the same organization came out REPEATEDLY AND PUBLICLY AGAINST RADICAL ISLAMIC EXTREMEISM AND TERRORISM and if they helped the Greeks rebuild the Church THEN there would likely be NO opposition to the Ground Zero mosque and AMERICANS of the muslim faith would likely be accepted with FAR greater enthusiasm.
But, since the current Ground Zero mosque crowd is sooooo well funded by KNOWN terrorists and states and organizations that support terrorism (as well as with US tax-payers money, sadly) then they are very likely to see continued vigorous resentment and resistance to ANY mosque being built anywhere in the US not just at Ground Zero.
Yes. The property is currently unavailable due to reconstruction, but the church, a larger one, will be rebuilt.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:15 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
I have no answer for this. It sounds completely paranoid to me. It's the same fear that was expressed in the 19th century when people argued to free black slaves. They were going to run wild, take over the country and kill all the white people. It's the same fear that was expressed in 1960 when a Catholic was running for president of the United States. The pope was going to be calling all the shots and take over our country. It's the same fear that was expressed in 2007 when Mitt Romney was vying for a presidential candidate slot. The Mormons view our government as subservient to the will of their church, and once he got in, they were going to take over our country.

I am not naive. I KNOW what it feels like to be in a building when a jet airliner slams into it. Unlike you, I do believe there will be another attack in the US eventually, and it will have nothing to do with what we may or may not do. There is a terrorist faction out there that believes all Americans have an agenda to destroy Islam and kill their children and take their land, just as you and many others believe that all Muslims have an agenda to take over our country.

I also know there is no "them", and that's where we differ the most. There are only individuals.
no, there are them, the terrorists, if you will...and no, I'm not paranoid, or afraid, what will be will be....I'm only one person, however, it will happen...they want this land, they want the world...and they will get it...if the whole world is like us...forgetful and naieve....yes, I'm sorry you do know what it's like, I dont' envy you, and you have my prayers for what you experienced that day dear lady...and it is not the same as the civil war or event of black slaves....b/c you don't know who these people are....lest we forget my son worked over there....thank God he's coming home...he said, they are worse then animals...they use children for bombs....

Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
That would be creepy, lol I've never seen a church that had metal detectors or required background checks! I hope you are kidding.

NYPD does have an anti-terrorism task force, which is sometimes referred to as a mini-CIA, if that makes you feel better.
Actually I would bet that many churches now require background checks for any person working with children as an employee of a church. I know my church does it.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
why does the imam feel that he has to build it there? With all the ill feelings towards it? How many American muslims are really in favor of that propsal anyway? I would assume that if they live in NYC then they would be happy with a new facility anywhere in the city. There's just no good reason to build it there. but 3000+ reasons not to
How about because it is in the community where he is already established and has interfaith ties. If anything the uproar against it is proof of how much it is needed.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I won't argue with you on that point, you could be right? However, as in everything is, you are led to believe by your opinion when you read articles, of course your doing to think that...every newspaper article might contain some fact, some fiction....and yes, it may have been they're agenda...

I also realize, there is a huge factor in the male domination of Muslim people, that many Muslim women are protesting and fighting for they're rights....and male domination by right of religion and law, have the right to stone them for this separation....and I'm all for these women....
I don't diagree with what you say about some how some muslim factions treat their women but did you see the Imam's wife or any of the other women? Do you think they behave even close to any of the extremist factions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies