Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:13 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times

Advertisements

They have no intention of repealing it. Because they threw a knip**** and their glorious little insurance companies that they pushed to make a profit are still in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
They have no intention of repealing it. Because they threw a knip**** and their glorious little insurance companies that they pushed to make a profit are still in there.
The Ins are indeed the primary source of paying for care, that is absolutely true. They will, however, starting in 2014 be constrained as to just how much profit and overhead they will be allowed and their more egregious practices will be curtailed. That started this month.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Until 2014, the Ins Cos will try to maximize profit as much as possible. That effort could very well lead to a Public Option by 2014. So, I think letting to Ins Cos rip people off until then, may actually turn out good in the long run.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
the dems are never bold enough. They should have forced the public option down the right wing's throat, just like the 2 wars were forced down the left wing's throat.

I'm betting if there was a public option the dems base would be very enthusiastic.

I still don't understand why a 3rd party should profit from my health being neglected and my possible death.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Has anyone here, actually researched to see how and when we got for profit health insurance companies?

What was it? Blue Shield or something like that. The predecessor to Blue Cross.

It was non-profit. Was it Nixon that had a grand scheme, to bring them on as a money maker for the government?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Is Obamacare going to fix that?
Actually a single payer healthcare system would have significantly reduced administrative cost. The health insurance lobby with the help of the Republican Party, and an uneducated electorate made sure that did not happen.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually a single payer healthcare system would have significantly reduced administrative cost. The health insurance lobby with the help of the Republican Party, and an uneducated electorate made sure that did not happen.
It would have also significantly reduced quality of care. As it is, quality of care and patient-doctor relationships will be negatively affected. Do you think the government, inserting itself between patient and doctor, will be concerned with how you feel about having your care regulated and restricted according to some formula they come up with (that will not have your welfare in mind). Let's see how you like being just a number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I can't believe it myself. It just goes to show how the lunatic fringe of the Democrats grossly miscalculated the American people. I think now Democrats realize that Americans are not as liberal as they think we are, and that we won't stand our country turning into Eurotrash. The liberals on CD can have their moment for now. They will be wiped out of the polls in November and then they'll be crying and whining that they want to escape to Canada (oh how I only wish)
They will see that the American public cannot be manipulated as they thought.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Not a traditional repeal, but if the GOP gets control of the House, they can deny funding to the more than 150 NEW departments and hiring of 15000 IRS agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Ins are indeed the primary source of paying for care, that is absolutely true. They will, however, starting in 2014 be constrained as to just how much profit and overhead they will be allowed and their more egregious practices will be curtailed. That started this month.
You DO know that price controls don't work...right? Just look at the tens of TRILLIONS in liabilities from Medicare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Imagine that! The American people DON'T want the federal government in charge of their health care! What could possibly be the reason for that, I mean, there are SO many programs the feds run so well, aren't there?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It would have also significantly reduced quality of care. As it is, quality of care and patient-doctor relationships will be negatively affected. Do you think the government, inserting itself between patient and doctor, will be concerned with how you feel about having your care regulated and restricted according to some formula they come up with (that will not have your welfare in mind). Let's see how you like being just a number.

Yeah I'd much rather trust a giant insurance corporation whose only motive is profit with my healthcare choices. If you can't trust the government or for profit companies to run healthcare then who can? I believe the problems with healthcare in the US started when the insurance companies stuck their noses in it.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah I'd much rather trust a giant insurance corporation whose only motive is profit with my healthcare choices. If you can't trust the government or for profit companies to run healthcare then who can? I believe the problems with healthcare in the US started when the insurance companies stuck their noses in it.
And, what is the government's motive?

I forgot...they're here to help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies