Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
To answer your question, the disparity comes from the fact that the pre-existing condition clause and the insurance mandate are a married solution. You can't have one without the other. mandates are supposed to cover the additional cost of insurance companies covering all the pre existing conditions. Unfortunately, the pre existing conditions clause went into effect last week, but the mandate doesn't take effect until 2013, I think. Thus, premiums will probably go up for private insurance. I'm not defending any of this, just trying to answer your question, so please don't pick a fight with me.

By the way, I had this overwhelming urge to tune into Glen Beck today but he wasn't on. Probably won't happen for another 10 years.

I'd see a doctor for that condition... Welcome back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Those who are self-insured are no longer allowed HSA's under Obamacare come 2013. HSA's continue to be allowed if employer paid but not for those who provide their own insurance (Private contractors, self-employed, etc...). Therefore, I and others similarly self-insured with HSA's will be forced into non-compliance (read IRS fine/punishment) or whatever "pool" the HHS dictates. Meanwhile, Obamacare has already eliminated non-prescription drugs and non-prescription medical devices from being paid for via private HSA funds.
You will still be able to purchase HSA's.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well I'm pushing 60 myself and dont wanna pool my health care dollars with a bunch of sick overweight fast food eating out of shape loosers.I pay any medical bills cash averages about 100$ a year so I'm ahead of the game. If I get something that is going to kill me then I'll die. dont want to be a guinea pig for some intern that needs hands on training cause some ins is paying for it
Believe me when I say that after your first open heart surgery, you'll treasure every sunrise and give or do anything you have to see tomorrow's if necessary. Ask me how I know.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:30 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Most people like what the bill does. It bans pre-existing conditions, bans rescission, gets rid of lifetime caps, and let's young adults up to 26 stay on their parents insurance. I would be hard pressed to find people who would want to get rid of those tangible changes.
I would get rid of the young adults staying on their parnets policy. There's a reason we call them adults.

And I would get rid of pre-existing conditions. That's not insurance and insurance companies shouldn't have to pay for it.

I suspect lots and lots of Americans will not like this when the insurance premiums come due. These companies will have no choice but to either raise rates or go out of business.

Thanks democrats.

Last edited by OhioIstheBest; 09-26-2010 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Oddly enough, the human liver has a nearly miraculous ability to regenerate. If I were facing a diagnosis such as this, first I would consult a holistic or naturopathic physician, reduce my exposure to chemicals, do a liver cleanse (Andreas Moritz welcomes you to Ener-Chi Wellness Center: Your Trusted Source of Natural Healing Methods), increase my intake of vital nutrients both through supplementation and increase my intake of raw, natural vegetables and fruits, increase my intake of Milk Thistle which supports liver health, get lots of sleep and reduce my stress levels.

By the way, hereditary conditions do not GUARANTEE that you will develop the disease. Only that they are perhaps more prone to it. Therefore, someone who has a family history of something should work THAT MUCH HARDER to avoid it through their lifestyle choices.

20yrsinBranson
Written like a fairy tale. "Eat right and you'll live happily ever after." Oddly enough, a lot of people who ultimately end up needing liver transplants or other expensive remedies start out thinking like you. They think eating lots of veggies, getting lots of sleep, etc will keep them healthy. Not that there's anything wrong with these habits, they should be encouraged for everyone. But for those who have underlying genetic problems that are going to manifest themselves regardless of what lifestyle choices you make, you are just deluding yourself if you think you can fix your own problems by making the "right lifestyle choices".

You still end up at the ER needing $500K in treatment. What next?

Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I think you should read the statistics again... 4 in 10 didn't think it goes far enough and those 4 people fall in the approving of the health care reform, neutral, or oppose... what it should of done was look at those who strictly opposed it and ask if they oppose it because it didn't go far enough... anyhow 1 in 5 are opposed to it which is saying like 20% while 40% are in favor... problem is, there are lots of other polls that say otherwise... polls are polls... and from what I hear, many are opposed to it, meaning more than 20%...

Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think you should read the statistics again... 4 in 10 didn't think it goes far enough and those 4 people fall in the approving of the health care reform, neutral, or oppose... what it should of done was look at those who strictly opposed it and ask if they oppose it because it didn't go far enough... anyhow 1 in 5 are opposed to it which is saying like 20% while 40% are in favor... problem is, there are lots of other polls that say otherwise... polls are polls... and from what I hear, many are opposed to it, meaning more than 20%...
The only credible poll on the issue, is KFF. They have been studying the subject for many years.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
The pledge by the Pukes to repeal the new healthcare law with the provisions that were enacted this week will backfire on the GOP!
I am quoting "WinterSucks" above:

Most people like what the bill does. It bans pre-existing conditions, bans rescission, gets rid of lifetime caps, and let's young adults up to 26 stay on their parents insurance. I would be hard pressed to find people who would want to get rid of those tangible changes.

The GOP wants to go back to letting those profit greedy health insurance companies running the system unrestrained again! Sorry but the genie is out of the bottle and there is NO way Americans are going to go back to business as usual!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
I am quoting "WinterSucks" above:

Most people like what the bill does.
No sorry. Most people hate this bill.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Obama and Democrats' Health Care Plan

A suspect poll, from who knows where, with who knows what methodology does NOT a trend make. This was just meant to try and prop up support for obamacare.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
I too think the health care package doesn't go far enough but it's a decent start. We need universal health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies