Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
So would you be saying this about a guy who was a "40 year old virgin" who gets filmed making out with a woman for the first time? He would have those same "Delicate" feelings, despite being 40..
Of course! Wouldnt you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,244,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What kind of idiotic question is this? You are going so far into left field with this it's ridiculous.

Filming someone doing things in the privacy of their home without their knowledge and broadcasting it to the world is BAD. There is nothing else you can say about it.
Is anyone here denying it is bad? The quesiton is criminality and hate crimes?

Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Should others have been charged with a crime for your reluctance to seek counselling?
Others should be charged for the -- probably misdemeanor -- crime of invading privacy.

As for presuming someone was mentally unbalanced when they were younger, maybe they were the only ones balanced; you dont know the circumstances.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No. They're sociopaths.

Maybe he wont feel guilty, but a sociopath would be mad that thanks to activist judges and the PC atmosphere of the day a harmless boyhood prank wound up blocking him from good jobs the rest of his life.
I don't think the roommate is a sociopath. We don't have any evidence of that. All of us have been "young and stupid". We all make mistakes. The roommate was incredibly insensitive. Even if this suicidal young man had not been emotionally fragile, this kind of "prank" is clearly going to do harm. I think that this is a situation like the rich man not being able to empathize with the poor man. Don't have a good job, then get an education! What do you mean, an education costs money and you don't have any? Then you aren't handling your money properly. For someone who always has funds, it's hard to imagine not having any. For someone who is sexually and physically confident, it's hard to imagine what it's like for someone who isn't sure of themselves. I think the roommate may not have been able to empathize, because it was so far beyond his own experiences. That said, our society has set boundaries for situations like this. It's against the law to violate someone's privacy the way this young man's privacy was violated. So the roommate broke the law and showed spectacularly poor judgment. I do think he will be haunted the rest of his life by his actions.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,768,520 times
Quote:
You were mentally unbalanced when you were younger.

Should others have been charged with a crime for your reluctance to seek counselling?
If I had felt that way because of someone's criminal act against me, as in this case, yes (but in my case it was not a specific reason, but indeed a depression).

Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Others should be charged for the -- probably misdemeanor -- crime of invading privacy.
But that simply hinges on because he didn't seek mental help?

The reality is, if he had notk illed himself, there would never have been charges filed. So it relies solely on whther the victim seeks counselling or not to determine if charges are filed?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think the roommate is a sociopath. We don't have any evidence of that. All of us have been "young and stupid". We all make mistakes. The roommate was incredibly insensitive. Even if this suicidal young man had not been emotionally fragile, this kind of "prank" is clearly going to do harm. I think that this is a situation like the rich man not being able to empathize with the poor man. Don't have a good job, then get an education! What do you mean, an education costs money and you don't have any? Then you aren't handling your money properly. For someone who always has funds, it's hard to imagine not having any. For someone who is sexually and physically confident, it's hard to imagine what it's like for someone who isn't sure of themselves. I think the roommate may not have been able to empathize, because it was so far beyond his own experiences. That said, our society has set boundaries for situations like this. It's against the law to violate someone's privacy the way this young man's privacy was violated. So the roommate broke the law and showed spectacularly poor judgment. I do think he will be haunted the rest of his life by his actions.
True, and I wasn't saying I think the guy is a sociopath. We don't know. I guess we'll find out if he's only cruel in coming days, when he... reads his official apology

Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,768,520 times
Quote:

The reality is, if he had notk illed himself, there would never have been charges filed. So it relies solely on whther the victim seeks counselling or not to determine if charges are filed?

Fact is, some people are a lot more sensitive than others, thus people shouldn't behave like neanderthals as not everyone reacts the same or desired way.
Those two people are not silly 13-year-old's, they are young adults, they should know what is OK and what not. If they are so stupid not to know, they should not be attending college.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
True, and I wasn't saying I think the guy is a sociopath. We don't know. I guess we'll find out if he's only cruel in coming days, when he... reads his official apology
How can you apologize to a dead person? How can a dead person forgive?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:

You presume charges wouldnt have been filed, based on the expectation Tyler would have been too humiliated to call attention to it. But he could have made a case.

How creepy your "argument" is. If that man had just not moved into that bad neighborhood he never would have been killed. If that woman had not gone to the bar. If that child had listened to his mother. None of that has to do with the actual crime.

But you like to blame the victim; why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies