Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:38 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,080,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
When religion can posit a theory for who (or what) created the creator, then I will take the proposition a bit more seriously.
I'd be happy if they could just posit the falsification criteria for the creator hypothesis. Ask a believer what evidence they'd accept in order for them to discard the interpretation of the world-as-creation, and they're reduced to sputtering incoherency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 PM

33,570 posts, read 37,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL. Look at how the blogger answers the only question which is relevant to the theread:

Q. Did Wallace come to believe in Intelligent Design (ID)?

He answers it by basically saying Wallace was not a Christian. Why did he not talk about Wallece's views of intelligent design? Why deflect?

You do not have to be Christian to believe in intelligent design.
The "intelligent design" movement was born in the 1980s.....Wallace died in 1913.

Last edited by sanspeur; 11-19-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The "intelligent design" movement was born in the 1980s.....Wallace died in 1913.
That's what you have been brainswashed to believe, but Wallace talked about it way before that, and his friend Darwin was not happy about it.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber

Did nature accidentally give us a brain so big
that we can utilize only 10% of its capacity?
Oh my, you believe all sorts of myths do you...We use 100% of our brain, well most of us do anyway.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That's what you have been brainswashed to believe, but Wallace talked about it way before that, and his friend Darwin was not happy about it.
Does it matter....It is nothing but believers trying to make creationism sound scientific.....

In my solitude I have pondered much on the incomprehensible subjects of space, eternity, life and death. I think I have fairly heard and fairly weighed the evidence on both sides, and I remain an utter disbeliever in almost all that you consider the most sacred truths. I will pass over as utterly contemptible the oft-repeated accusation that sceptics shut out evidence because they will not be governed by the morality of Christianity.....George Wallace

Have you found that evidence yet?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
As is so typical of èvolutionist mindset, it seems that the desire to bash religion is much too strong to actually bother examining the fatal flaws in their own irrational position which relies just as much on blind faith as that of the opposite side they incessantly attack.

This can be seen even more clearly by the dogged refusal to acknowledge the differences between purely religion based creation ideologies, and the scientifically centered theory of intelligent design, which does not propose the nature of that designer.

The two concepts are simply too close for the comfort of the religion-god haters to admit any difference. Yet there is a huge difference between those going on religious faith, and those relying on common sense in determining that a living cell capable of self replication, that possesses the complex DNA structure which contains literal instructions in a coded form of language for said reproduction is itself prima facie evidence of not just intelligent design, but of intelligence far exceeding that of anything modern science has been able to duplicate, in spite of decades of trying, with an existing blueprint to use as a guide.

To those who have maintained the capacity for rational analysis, whose minds are not trapped in philosophical quicksand, the unmistakable signs of complex design with intent is too obvious to deny.

Such denial of the obvious is a product of beliefs getting in the way of elementary common sense ... and akin to believing that a swiss watch is a result of metals forming tiny wheels and levers and dials and hands and bezels and crystals, all by themselves, and without help from a skilled watch maker who set out to construct a watch.

Nonsense and drivel.

First off, one cannot hate something they do not believe in, so save the drama about "god haters." You are not a god warrior. You are not a crusader. You are not gaining any brownie points for heaven by being a holy roller. So chill.

Secondly, your cute little apologist screed again skirts the issue. We know who created the watch maker. You, however, are not willing to accept that something like a watch could piece together by itself.... but you WOULD, by extension, believe that the watchmaker, an infinitely more complex being than the watch he creates, could spring from nowhere at all.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:19 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,942,124 times
Can you agree that a great many fossils have been falsified and or embellished upon ,we can talk .
Fact of the matter it is people that are willing to speculate rather then actually lay out the only facts they have actually found them, make their speculation far less believable.
Those that believe in God, are not resting on second hand hypothesis, ( well some are ,but not all ).
There are real events that take place in a persons life, when he changes his mind.
I have both experienced healing, and been instrumental in praying for the healing of others successfully , only God can perform these things .
Because you choose not to believe me, does not alter the truth I know for a fact.
Taking the word of a scientist that is trying to justify the expense of his education , takes a lot of faith indeed.
Have you dug up the fossils ?
Have you disproven their theories ?
To claim their validity you would have to have personal experience to KNOW if he is speculating or telling you the truth.
I have personal experience in disproving what a miracle is, or coincidence , dad never took these things for granted neither do I.
I have nothing to gain personally ,by convincing some one except that it might better their life , where as the fostering of the negative brings no hope at all.
If demolition is all your after your on the right track.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why don't YOU defend your point, instead of attacking me?
I am not attacking you, I am simply pointing out the fact that every time someone offers food for thought, you reply with childish personal stabs and defletion.

Quote:
Please defend this gibberish.
It is a part of the question which Alfred Wallace asked. I have clarified the question a number of times, and you have failed to comprehend the question every single time, and you still don't get it. Instead of trying to understand it, you try to deflect away from it. The question is about brain capacity, which far exceeds what we need to survive, and even the smartest of men could utilize the brain much more in terms of intellect.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-19-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Does it matter....It is nothing but believers trying to make creationism sound scientific.....
Wrong again. Wallace was not a Christian.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:38 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,100,414 times
Quote:
There seems to be a strong desire to keep the discussion revolving around the posters and their faith as opposed to the topic. It is classic deflection.
Deflection? Perhaps, but only onto the actual issue.

There is no scientific controversy here. There is only a deceptive effort at Christian evangelism. To not tackle that truth head on is to be complicit in the dishonesty. Scientists have a moral imperative to defend their discipline from the corrupting influence of sectarian dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies