Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
A bust of the former prime minister..was loaned to George W Bush from the Government's art collection after the September 11 attacks, has now been formally handed back.
The bronze by Sir Jacob Epstein, worth hundreds of thousands of pounds
a bust of Mr Lincoln now sits in the Oval Office where Epstein's Churchill once ruled the roost.

I guess its just another example of Obama's Anti-Americanism; preferring an American hero over a borrowed British hero.

I guess he could have kept the borrowed Churchill bust in storage, but does that make a lot of sense?
I think he keeps it as a reminder of his slave family past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Glenn Beck: Understanding Obama's Worldview - Glenn Beck - FOXNews.com

Now his mother, she was also anti-colonialist. She is Stanley Ann. She married Lolo Soetoro. He was a capitalist. But she didn't really know that. That's why he was sent away. He was sent away to Hawaii, to her — grandparents right here. This is Stanley Ann Dunham's mom and dad.

That is not the reason Obama offers in his book.
And then, of course, we have Reverend Wright, who — the book that Obama wrote, "The Audacity of Hope," comes from a sermon that this guy gave. Now, if you heard any of his sermons, they all include liberation theology, the idea of the oppressed and the oppressor. That's it.

The conclusion of Rev. Wright's "Audacity to Hope" sermon:

The real lesson Hannah gives us from this chapter—the most important word God would have us hear—is how to hope when the love of God is not plainly evident. It's easy to hope when there are evidences all around of how good God is. But to have the audacity to hope when that love is not evident—you don't know where that somewhere is that my grandmother sang about, or if there will ever be that brighter day—that is a true test of a Hannah-type faith. To take the one string you have left and to have the audacity to hope—make music and praise God on and with whatever it is you've got left, even though you can't see what God is going to do—that's the real word God will have us hear from this passage and from Watt's painting.

There's a true-life illustration that demonstrates the principles portrayed so powerfully in this periscope. And I close with it. My mom and my dad used to sing a song that I've not been able to find in any of the published hymnals. It's an old song out of the black religious tradition called "Thank you, Jesus." It's a very simple song. Some of you have heard it. It's simply goes, "Thank you Jesus. I thank you Jesus. I thank you Jesus. I thank you Lord." To me they always sang that song at the strangest times—when the money got low, or when the food was running out. When I was getting in trouble, they would start singing that song. And I never understood it, because as a child it seemed to me they were thanking God that we didn't have any money, or thanking God that we had no food, or thanking God that I was making a fool out of myself as a kid.

Conclusion: Hope is What Saves Us

But I was only looking at the horizontal level. I did not understand nor could I see back then the vertical hookup that my mother and my father had. I did not know then that they were thanking him in advance for all they dared to hope he would do one day to their son, in their son, and through their son. That's why they prayed. That's why they hoped. That's why they kept on praying with no visible sign on the horizon. And I thank God I had praying parents, because now some thirty-five years later, when I look at what God has done in my life, I understand clearly why Hannah had the audacity to hope. Why my parents had the audacity to hope.

And that's why I say to you, hope is what saves us. Keep on hoping; keep on praying. God does hear and answer prayer.

Clearly there is more the just "the oppressed and the oppressor"

Back to Beck:

From here, to here, anti-colonialism — the idea that there are colonizers and the colonized. There is America or Europe and then the Third World victims — oppressor and victims.

Is he really trying to deny that there was an age of European Colonialism where Europeans and those of European descent divided up the world at great harm to the colonized?

The other thing is, remember his church is also anti-colonialism. It's liberation theology. There is an oppressor and the oppressed. Remember, I've been talking to you about — what do you call it — collective salvation. And the president has said time and time again, "My salvation is dependent on a collective salvation."

And Beck has continues to incorrectly characterize Obama's statements on collective salvation. Anyone who has attended services at Trinity UCC knows that individual salvation through Jesus Christ is preached at there.

In other words, he must stop the oppressor and help the oppressed. And the only way the oppressor can be stopped, the only way the oppressor can find salvation, is basically you have to give back what you've stolen. Same up here — the colonizers are stealing things from the Third World victims.

Defense for Opperssor's? We are all forgiven by the grace of God, but I don't believe that translates into a justification those doing wrong continuing their abusive behaviors.

Remember when we said the Winton Churchill bust, what was the president thinking? How could he take a gift that was given to us by England after 9/11 and when he first meets the prime minister, he says, By the way, we don't need this anymore. You can take it back. The prime minister of England says, No, no, no. That was a gift from the English people.

Wasn't a gift it was a loan of a very valuable bust.

BECK: All right. America, I am telling you, this is the best theory that I have heard. This is — this to me rings true. In the end, it may not be, but we have to have a debate. Not on the facts. But on the opinion. Do the opinions — does that fit? They will try to make sure that you don't believe any of these facts because of the opinion he draws from them.

Rings True? Wild speculation by D'Souza D'Souza on the release of Megrahi: I'm simply saying, when you look at a guy who claims to be fighting American imperialism, Obama sees in him a fellow anti-colonialist. He probably says, this guy is like my dad. He's striking out against the Western, the American oppressor

Give me a break. Hopefully he actually has proof in his book to justify such a wild assertion. Rings True? I don't think so.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:01 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Is it like a giant puzzle that only Glenn has the solution to? Neat.
No, he's not the only one. There are many people out there that have it, not just Glenn.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Default Probably misremembering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the United States gained nationhood by fighting off a colonial power. Wasn't there something about a Declaration of Independence, signed by prominent anti-colonialists?

Ah well, I guess I must be misremembering.
Quote:
1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of a colony

2 : often capitalized : of or relating to the original 13 colonies forming the United States: as a : made or prevailing in America during the colonial period <colonial architecture> b : adapted from or reminiscent of an American colonial mode of design <colonial furniture>

3 : forming or existing in a colony <colonial organisms>

4 : possessing or composed of colonies <a colonial empire>
Colonial - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 10-01-2010, 08:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Glenn Beck isn't too empathetic with the 9/11 victims.

YouTube - Glenn Beck: "I hate 9/11 victims families for asking questions"
When I see this thing about Beck I always think the Progressives are afraid they are losing and have to throw this one in although they can't interpret what he said or why.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I can't believe there are adults around who still don't know the histories of the Republican and Democratic parties.
I guess it is time for a lesson from you about the history of those two parties. You surely don't mean that the Dems were the party that wanted to do away with slavery in the 1860s. What do you mean? I thought I knew quite a lot about those two parties and then you came along with those words.

Surely you don't think that Lincoln was a Democrat President!!!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well what else can explain his returning the bust of Churchill to England? What an insult.

Plus, why didn't he just put it in storage until he is out of office if he hates Churchill? He won't be in the White House for over 8 years at the max. Maybe there is a plan to be there longer---that is how Communists work, but I do hope our country isn't "fundamentally changed" to that extent. One can only hope---AND VOTE IN THOSE WHO CAN STOP IT.
[/quote]
You're months too late on the whole Churchill thing. Who gives a crap, anyway; it's a freaking statue.

The Communist claim shows that you're not credible for real discussion purposes.

I'm sure Glenn Beck will give you something else for which to put on your tin foil hat.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Honest to Pete. Do any of you Beckites know ANYTHING about American history? Do ANY of you just happen to know why we fought the Revolution? Here's a little hint. WE DIDN'T WANT TO BE A COLONY.
Good grief. Then they talk about "educated elites." Compared to them my 1 year old great granddaughter is "elite."

Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Honest to Pete. Do any of you Beckites know ANYTHING about American history? Do ANY of you just happen to know why we fought the Revolution? Here's a little hint. WE DIDN'T WANT TO BE A COLONY.
Good grief. Then they talk about "educated elites." Compared to them my 1 year old great granddaughter is "elite."
Sigh.
The point was that an ideology called "Anti-colonialism" is behind the perplexing behavior of BHO.

He caps American offshore drilling, but subsidizes Brazil and Mexico to drill offshore.
He deliberately reduces American oil production, while encouraging oil production in other countries.

He is deliberately trying to deconstruct America, because he believes America is "colonial" in its foreign policy... exploiting the third world. And he appears to believe that America has to devolve from first world status, for "social justice" and "sharing the wealth" to occur.

Now, if that's your idea of an "American" president, congratulations - he's your man.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You pick the test and I will go against you any time you want to see who knows the most about American History. Be sure to make it easy enough for you to handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies