Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 AM

37,175 posts, read 19,183,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Oh, I see. I didn't think about the "Like" thing. That's awful about the strangers' requests.

There's this new offering from FB that would send all new requests to a Pending folder, though it doesn't seem helpful in the long run.

Facebook Lets You Mark Friend Requests with “Not Now,” then Decide on Them Later

I don't see why FB doesn't provide a "Not accepting new friends" blocking interface.
It's not unusual to get "friend" requests from strangers on Facebook. I regularly get requests from women who, if they are indeed who they say they are, are half my age and posed for their profile photos wearing nothing more than their step-ins and a smile. No other information is available unless you accept the invitation.

Warms an old man's heart for sure, but as long as I'm sane I'll keep sending them away.

Kids are a different story. If they are not past the age of consent they NEED a nanny on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:38 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
My kids have received friend requests like that too.

I may have misspoke earlier--the address might not always show every time they "like" something--it might be when the "like" is linked to automatically joining a fan page. I've wondered if some of those fan pages aren't created just for that purpose--so bad people can go trolling for children's addresses. At any rate, it's the same outcome. That's why we supervise the younger ones closely online.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,702 times
I have just the opposite problem here, one of my buddys has a 12 year old son that added me as a friend and as a farmville neighbor. He's a good kid but we never talk on facebook just face to face when my buddy and I are hanging out. NOW some of this kids little teenage friends are sending me friend requests that I have ignored. My buddy says whats the big deal about adding them as friends and farmville neighbors but i'm not entirely comfortable with doing that, not even with the ones I know from being over his house.
Am I being overly paranoid about this? Should I just keep ignoring requests? So for now i'm going to keep doing what i'm doing and ignore any requests from minors.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:56 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
I understand. I wouldn't add the kids you don't known either. If kids you do know are adding you just to play farmville, but you don't want them to see your posts, one option is to go to the little lock icon under where you write a post, and hit "custom." You'll have the option to hide your posts from specific people--you could put the kids on that list. They won't be able to see what you write, so you won't have to make sure that it always stays appropriate for young eyes. You'll still be able to be their neighbor on farmville . They won't know you've hidden what you write from them. You can still see their posts, and congratulate them on winning a game or tell them happy birthday. Everybody wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies