Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM

235 posts, read 465,522 times

Advertisements

Is there a difference between stalking and being a big brother?

scenario: teenager says don't stalk me on myspace as I don't want people to know what I'm posting. adult says it's being a big brother and looking out for them.

Is there a difference or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
HUH? If you post on Myspace then reading it doesn't make anyone a stalker. There is no privacy on the internet and if "kid" doesn't get that then he probably needs "big brother".

Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Go ahead and read but don't respond nor let the teen know you're reading unless you find something highly questionable.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
People still use Myspace?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:13 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
yes there is a clear difference between stalking and "Big Brother"

By the way, there are privacy controls on Myspace (even Facebook) to make your posts on your profile available to only those who you want to see your posts.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Well, I don't think it's being a stalker or "big brother" to be a PARENT. My job is to protect my kids so they don't get into situations over their heads until they're ready to deal with them. I have all of my kids facebook passwords, and I check their accounts from time to time. They aren't allowed to add ANYONE as a friend that they don't know, and their info is limited to friends only. There are lots of creepy people on the internet--kids don't always understand the potential consequences of sharing identifying or inappropriate information.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
I don't know about myspace, but Facebook users can configure their privacy settings pretty thoroughly: friends hidden from public view and from each other (so Sally doesn't know Patty is still friends with Janey), etc.

Your child could always just open a new account that you don't know about, too, and delete his cookies and browsing history after each session, in an effort to have some feeling of privacy and autonomy.

Maybe just remind him to not accept names he's not 100% sure he knows.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
Is there a difference between stalking and being a big brother?

scenario: teenager says don't stalk me on myspace as I don't want people to know what I'm posting. adult says it's being a big brother and looking out for them.

Is there a difference or not?
Child molesters never say "I am a stalker", they always use a phoney front. Unless it is a parent or concerned blood relative, then "big brother" is a stalker. A concerned adult friend would report real concerns to a teen's parents, or should MYOB.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I don't know about myspace, but Facebook users can configure their privacy settings pretty thoroughly: friends hidden from public view and from each other (so Sally doesn't know Patty is still friends with Janey), etc.

Your child could always just open a new account that you don't know about, too, and delete his cookies and browsing history after each session, in an effort to have some feeling of privacy and autonomy.

Maybe just remind him to not accept names he's not 100% sure he knows.
I let my high schoolers have pretty much free reign, but they're responsible kids with level heads, and I have every reason to trust them as long as they use the appropriate privacy settings and don't add strangers. I have younger kids who like to play facebook games like farmville, etc. with their friends. They use the internet under supervision, plus we have nanny blocks for inappropriate content. My big concern (even with the privacy settings) is when the younger kids "like" something, and their account is listed on that page. You'd be amazed at the number of adult strangers that have asked to "friend" them. That's why I go in to delete those requests.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I let my high schoolers have pretty much free reign, but they're responsible kids with level heads, and I have every reason to trust them as long as they use the appropriate privacy settings and don't add strangers. I have younger kids who like to play facebook games like farmville, etc. with their friends. They use the internet under supervision, plus we have nanny blocks for inappropriate content. My big concern (even with the privacy settings) is when the younger kids "like" something, and their account is listed on that page. You'd be amazed at the number of adult strangers that have asked to "friend" them. That's why I go in to delete those requests.
Oh, I see. I didn't think about the "Like" thing. That's awful about the strangers' requests.

There's this new offering from FB that would send all new requests to a Pending folder, though it doesn't seem helpful in the long run.

Facebook Lets You Mark Friend Requests with “Not Now,” then Decide on Them Later

I don't see why FB doesn't provide a "Not accepting new friends" blocking interface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies