Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

I understand that conversations about sexuality can provoke strong reactions, but I can't understand why some people are so strongly anti-gay that they need to make negative comments whenever the subject comes up. I can't see anything good about being anti-gay.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I understand that conversations about sexuality can provoke strong reactions, but I can't understand why some people are so strongly anti-gay that they need to make negative comments whenever the subject comes up. I can't see anything good about being anti-gay.
In high school years, it might be understandable, but after that you have to wonder why one would be obsessed with homosexuals unless they had latent tendencies.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM

144 posts, read 121,239 times
Quote:
Two words... Organized Religion.

No force on Earth brings about hatred quite like organized religion.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Oh, BS. Plenty of churchgoers who are not gay-bashers, or anti-homosexual in philosophy. My last church had a lesbian pastor, for God's sake (pun intended). And plenty of those propagating hate speech have no particular religious stance, they're just creeps.

People who feel the need to make their negative, critical, and even harassing opinions known at all costs are generally bullies, ignorant, cruel, and self-absorbed, whether they're penchant is for slamming gays, slamming women, slamming immigrants, slamming developmentally disabled folks, whoever.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, BS. Plenty of churchgoers who are not gay-bashers, or anti-homosexual in philosophy. My last church had a lesbian pastor, for God's sake (pun intended). And plenty of those propagating hate speech have no particular religious stance, they're just creeps.
Are you denying the fact that the majority of public opinion on homosexuality is primarily derived from one's religion and their interpretation of that religion?

Are you denying the fact that conservatism and it's religious intent to legislate morality hasn't been the primary factor for the denial of entry for gays as regular, equal members of society?

Sorry, history, religion, and congress points otherwise.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
I understand that conversations about sexuality can provoke strong reactions, but I can't understand why some people are so strongly anti-_________ that they need to make negative comments whenever the subject comes up. I can't see anything good about being anti-__________.
You have to know that there are a bazillion nouns and adjectives that one could put in the blanks above and we still wouldn't come any closer to understanding what is essentially unknowable. Let's try some, just for fun:

rich people
poor people
short people
bedwetters
nail biters
Liberals
coupon clippers
black
hipster
Hooter's Waitresses
smokers
Paris Hilton
Tonya Harding
Britney Spears

Ok the last three were clearly just kidding around, who doesn't like Paris Hilton, but I trust I made my point. Do you want to maybe tweak your question?

H

Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 PM

52,292 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Let the gays get married. As a friend of mine would say Why not, Why the hell not.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
Two words... Organized Religion.

No force on Earth brings about hatred quite like organized religion.
Religion never teaches to antagonize gay people like the OP describes.

It's American culture. Macho-manhood. Do some research before putting all feet inside the mouth.

I've been in Asia and the Middle East, most of my life. Gay people are publicly frowned upon, but even they do not indulge in general derogatory lingo which is very common in America.

Even Britain is not so gayphobic. It's not part of derogatory discourse.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Religion never teaches to antagonize gay people like the OP describes.

It's American culture. Macho-manhood. Do some research before putting all feet inside the mouth.

I've been in Asia and the Middle East, most of my life. Gay people are publicly frowned upon, but even they do not indulge in general derogatory lingo which is very common in America.

Even Britain is not so gayphobic. It's not part of derogatory discourse.
The OP is describing those who are "strongly anti-gay." There's a difference between anti-gay and macho-manhood and no, religion doesn't teach anyone to antagonize gays, instead, they have a way of dehumanizing gays by implying to their members that gays are somehow genetically, morally, or mentally flawed.

Macho-manhood is to laugh and poke fun at a couple of dudes dressed like emo band members, skipping and humming while holding hands down the sidewalk. It's giving your straight buddies a hard time and calling them a homo or a fa* every now and then.

The OP may need to clarify, but the way I interpreted it was that he was referring to the anti-gay rhetoric you would here at a church on sunday morning in Arkansas or anyone in general with a basic anti-gay stance in the course of serious conversation.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
I personally feel if you don't like someone for their beliefs, orientation, etc.. then don't talk to them and don't bash them, period. Only narrow-minded people are so ignorant to say something or worse do something hateful. You rarely get words from open minded people; truly open minded, not those who say they are but don't have a clue what it means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies