Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times

Advertisements

I would be happy to know if he is just an American!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
All politicians do this. The Former Lieutenant governor of MD, Townsend, used her Kennedy name, to no avail, fortunately, for political purposes

Just like Hillary uses her maiden name Rodham when she wants people to think she is doing something that was NOT provided by coattails of her husband Bill Clinton.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Much as I generally hate these race based threads, I have to ask a question. Ignoring President Obama's white mother, does his fathers race make him an "African-American"? The reason I ask this is that a number of posters here define African-American as a descendant of black people at one time owned as slaves in America. Obama's father is from Africa, and therefore has no association with slavery in the US. So to those that choose to use this definition, what race (perhaps ethnicity is a better term) is Mr Obama, or other black people in this country, that have no ancestry associated with slavery?
First I have to ask where you got the idea that descendant of slaves had anything to do with it? Because that's not what's in any of my dictionaries. And here's what I found when I used dictionary.com - African American | Define African American at Dictionary.com
Quote:
1. a black American of African descent.
Which of course would include our President, as his father was from Africa.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
First I have to ask where you got the idea that descendant of slaves had anything to do with it? Because that's not what's in any of my dictionaries. And here's what I found when I used dictionary.com - African American | Define African American at Dictionary.com

Which of course would include our President, as his father was from Africa.

I was going to post the same thing. There is nothing about African-American that says you have to be the descendent of slaves. When checking the box your race, there is no box for African-Kenyan, African-Ethopian or African-Nigerian. It doesn't work that way.

He said that when he tries to hail a cab he's black...if he wasn't the president, he'd just be another black man and only people that know him personally would know that he's half white. When people see someone that looks like President Obama, they see a black man until they are told something different. Anyone that has had a similar experience would understand why he says he's black and why most people see him this way as well.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Isn't it interesting how people automatically use the term "African American" to mean "black." If your ancestors came from Morocco, let's say, or were Afrikaners in South Africa...and they came here, they would be African Americans.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
No. African-American means that someone is from Africa or has close ties to the country, like his parents or grand-parents were African (which is why there is a difference between being black and AA...most people here are black and that's what I refer to them as). It also implies that the person is not of any other race except black. While Obama qualifies on the first test, he does not qualify on the second test. I would consider him to be black, though (but not AA), because although he was raised by a white family, he identifies with blacks more than anything. This is evidenced by his choice in activities, churches, wife, etc.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
He identifies himself as Black/African American and that is all that matters. But in reality we all know he's Black/White.
I am an American but in reality I am a flesh tint...

Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Culturally he is not African-American. Not just because he is half white. His father was an immigrant from Kenya. Most African-Americans have ancestors that have been in the U.S since slavery times which is longer than many white people can say. Also most African-Americans are Christian while Obama's father was Muslim.
If his father is from Kenya, I think he can claim African heritage. It's a closer link than someone who's family came from Africa two hundred years ago. So because his father was Muslim, he can no longer be considered of African descent? Where are you getting these standards? Not all African-Americans fit into that cultural box. In fact, some African-Americans are white. It's only when you play word games in the name of political correctness that words no longer mean what they actually mean. The descendants of slaves are not the only African- Americans.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Much as I generally hate these race based threads, I have to ask a question. Ignoring President Obama's white mother, does his fathers race make him an "African-American"? The reason I ask this is that a number of posters here define African-American as a descendant of black people at one time owned as slaves in America. Obama's father is from Africa, and therefore has no association with slavery in the US. So to those that choose to use this definition, what race (perhaps ethnicity is a better term) is Mr Obama, or other black people in this country, that have no ancestry associated with slavery?
Nope

He's bi-racial.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:42 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Isn't it interesting how people automatically use the term "African American" to mean "black." If your ancestors came from Morocco, let's say, or were Afrikaners in South Africa...and they came here, they would be African Americans.
I know a fellow who is Moroccan, and he doesn't refer to him self as an African. He is a citizen of this country. I think the term to use in these cases is "an American of Moroccan decent"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies