Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,491 times

Advertisements

Until someone gets a REAL clue, the amount of benefits our wonderful government gives out will continue for years. I didn't need an article to inform me of that.

Quote:
Walmart is collaborating with vendors to offer even smaller sizes for under a dollar to win back customers who are heading to dollar stores to buy mini-size laundry soap and other items because they only have a few dollars left until the next payment. Earlier this year, Kmart began pushing $1 items on snack packs and other food items, timed a week before the 15th of each month to help customers stretch their budgets.
"This is the new normal," said Richard Hastings, macro and consumer strategist with Global Hunter Securities. "This is going to be like this for many years to come."
Fraud of benefits, a subject that is so very exhausted here, is such a lame argument considering the 'state' of America. Obama's a bust. Millions out of work. A higher number of millions on welfare. Approval ratings, all over the board, are dropping. There is a reason for this occurrence and, my friends, it isn't welfare. Only someone that wished to see millions of people starve to death would still be degrading welfare recipients. There's more NEED than FRAUD at this point.

Quote:
Americans relying on government benefits are doing their homework to stretch the payments. The vast majority interviewed by The Associated Press as October dawned last week were carefully scrutinizing prices and had a game plan of what to buy where.
Aldis and the dollar store, most the way. Wal-Mart for a few extras. (Including insulin for our Dog) Once or twice every three months we spend $5 to rent 5 movies for 5 days. That's a splurge.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say... "I'd rather be working".

What happened to that great plan Obama?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101006/ap_on_bi_ge/us_midnight_run (broken link)

Last edited by shroombeanie; 10-07-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: forgot link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Until someone gets a REAL clue, the amount of benefits our wonderful government gives out will continue for years. I didn't need an article to inform me of that.

Fraud of benefits, a subject that is so very exhausted here, is such a lame argument considering the 'state' of America. Obama's a bust. Millions out of work. A higher number of millions on welfare. Approval ratings, all over the board, are dropping. There is a reason for this occurrence and, my friends, it isn't welfare. Only someone that wished to see millions of people starve to death would still be degrading welfare recipients. There's more NEED than FRAUD at this point.

Aldis and the dollar store, most the way. Wal-Mart for a few extras. (Including insulin for our Dog) Once or twice every three months we spend $5 to rent 5 movies for 5 days. That's a splurge.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say... "I'd rather be working".

What happened to that great plan Obama?

Midnight grocery runs capture economic desperation - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101006/ap_on_bi_ge/us_midnight_run - broken link)

Uh, the reason so many people aren't working is because successive administrations, from Ronald Reagan to G.W. Bush, allowed our jobs to go overseas without any effort to stop the hemorrhage. Their corporate sugar daddies wanted the extra profit, you see.

Obama can't correct that overnight. In fact, with the Republican's holding up bills which would seek to correct the off-shoring of our livelihoods (which they just did....again), he'll never be able to bring back the jobs which were lost to corporate greed.

But, it's all his fault anyhow, right?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Uh, the reason so many people aren't working is because successive administrations, from Ronald Reagan to G.W. Bush, allowed our jobs to go overseas without any effort to stop the hemorrhage. Their corporate sugar daddies wanted the extra profit, you see.

Obama can't correct that overnight. In fact, with the Republican's holding up bills which would seek to correct the off-shoring of our livelihoods (which they just did....again), he'll never be able to bring back the jobs which were lost to corporate greed.

That bill won't stop offshoring. Companies, even with credits removed, still will make more profit with offshored products and services.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
I keep seeing this midnite grocery shopping on foodstamps repeated over and over again.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Quote:
Uh, the reason so many people aren't working is because successive administrations, from Ronald Reagan to G.W. Bush, allowed our jobs to go overseas without any effort to stop the hemorrhage.
Actually, it was NAFTA, the follow-up to GAAT, that was the culprit and it had the support of BOTH parties. NAFTA was enacted in 1994 when the good ol' boy, Clinton, was president as an "agreement", not a treaty with other countries, and was thus able to bypass the constitutionally mandated vote in the Senate.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Quote:

I believe that Obama thought he could do everything he said he would.
I voted for Obama. It was Clinton who created NAFTA.
I believe Obama along with other presidents were naive to believe they could bring major change. The job is so much more than what we think it is.
They find that out when they get into office....ever notice how quickly presidents seem to age?
Both parties are covered in the corruption ooze that banks & big business use to buy the power to run this country. That and now all the other contributors from outside the US.
I now think that both major parties are bought & sold.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:

excessive regulations and high corporate taxes are the reason jobs keep leaving the country. the bill of which you speak will do nothing to stop the outsourcing, as all the new taxes and regulations coming online from the health care reform law and the financial reform law, will only contribute to job losses in this country. if we are going to get serious about getting manufacturing jobs back in this country, then we need to eliminate the excessive and often times contradictory regulations, take power away from the corrupt union bosses, install real health care and financial reform, and make the business environment more friendly. we need to let private enterprise do what they do best, make money. when that happens, the consumer spending will increase, and jobs will be created, and not temporary government jobs, but real long term decent paying positions.

as for nafta, that deal was pushed through by the bush 41 administration, and i believe that it did in fact go through the senate, and clinton signed the treaty.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:

Right, look only at the surface and not at the 2nd heaviest corporate tax rate tax rate in the West nor at the onerous environmental and safety manufacturing regulations that do not exist overseas.

Corporations are beholding to the stockholders to make money. Pave a way for them to make similar returns in the US and they will return. Teach the American consumer not to patronize stores that import 90% of their stock and they will go out of business or change their business model.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
factcheck.org

As we have written before, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office released a report in August that said the stimulus bill has "[l]owered the unemployment rate by between 0.7 percentage points and 1.8 percentage points" and "[i]ncreased the number of people employed by between 1.4 million and 3.3 million."
Simply put, more people would be unemployed if not for the stimulus bill. The exact number of jobs created and saved is difficult to estimate, but nonpartisan economists say there’s no doubt that the number is positive.

Of course, would it not have been for the GOP and a handful of blue dog dems....the stimulus would have been larger, and would have contained more job creating infrastructure spending rather than less effective tax cuts.

Right wingers not knowing any facts (as usual) start these threads complaining about Obama when the blame lies squarely with the GOP allied with a few bad Democrats.

Last edited by padcrasher; 10-07-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
factcheck.org

As we have written before, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office released a report in August that said the stimulus bill has "[l]owered the unemployment rate by between 0.7 percentage points and 1.8 percentage points" and "[i]ncreased the number of people employed by between 1.4 million and 3.3 million."
Simply put, more people would be unemployed if not for the stimulus bill. The exact number of jobs created and saved is difficult to estimate, but nonpartisan economists say there’s no doubt that the number is positive.

Of course, would it not have been for the GOP and a handful of blue dog dems....the stimulus would have been larger, and would have contained more job creating infrastructure spending rather than less effective tax cuts.

Right wingers not knowing any facts (as usual) start these threads complaining about Obama when the blame lies squarely with the GOP allied with a few bad Democrats.
And quadrupling the debt during his 19 mos. in office has done what to the US dollar? Hint: it ain't looking good
US Dollar Index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies