Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Obama can't correct that overnight. In fact, with the Republican's holding up bills which would seek to correct the off-shoring of our livelihoods (which they just did....again), he'll never be able to bring back the jobs which were lost to corporate greed.

But, it's all his fault anyhow, right?

Please explain to me how it is the Republicans that are holding up bills when the Democrats have all the votes they need to pass anything they want?

Or is it just standard ploy to deflect the fact that while we were promised hope and change to make our futures brighter, the only change I see is the number of foreclosed houses going up and the increase of empty store fronts, and the only hope I have is that we get rid of the current administration and change the makeup of congress before I am the next one who is living on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Please explain to me how it is the Republicans that are holding up bills when the Democrats have all the votes they need to pass anything they want?

Or is it just standard ploy to deflect the fact that while we were promised hope and change to make our futures brighter, the only change I see is the number of foreclosed houses going up and the increase of empty store fronts, and the only hope I have is that we get rid of the current administration and change the makeup of congress before I am the next one who is living on the street.
Who said it was just the GOP? It's almost always 100% of the GOP in colusion with a handful of bad Democrats. That's enough to thwart the will of the majority in the Senate.

How is it you do not know this? You don't know that that a super majority of 60 in the Senate is needed to cut off debate?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That bill won't stop offshoring. Companies, even with credits removed, still will make more profit with offshored products and services.
Companies are finding out perhaps that killing off their best customer was very very BAD for business. Global economy is finding out too.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I believe that Obama thought he could do everything he said he would.
I voted for Obama. It was Clinton who created NAFTA.
I believe Obama along with other presidents were naive to believe they could bring major change. The job is so much more than what we think it is.
They find that out when they get into office....ever notice how quickly presidents seem to age?
Both parties are covered in the corruption ooze that banks & big business use to buy the power to run this country. That and now all the other contributors from outside the US.
I now think that both major parties are bought & sold.
Don't give up sindey. Americans aren't quitters. We the people do need to step up more to beat down corruption in government for everyones sake. The only clear path I can see is citizen petition to reform campaign finance & cut the money cord permanently. No other idea anyone has put forth in this forum has ever addressed the root source of the problem.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And quadrupling the debt during his 19 mos. in office has done what to the US dollar? Hint: it ain't looking good
US Dollar Index
Hint: when the US dollar is too strong everyone else's money (you know those pesky billions of other people that don't live in MO) doesn't go as far, therefore we have less customers.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Hint: when the US dollar is too strong everyone else's money (you know those pesky billions of other people that don't live in MO) doesn't go as far, therefore we have less customers.
So you prefer short term customers without consideration to the long term consequences of monetizing the debt (a.k.a printing money)?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:13 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I believe that Obama thought he could do everything he said he would.
I voted for Obama. It was Clinton who created NAFTA.
I believe Obama along with other presidents were naive to believe they could bring major change. The job is so much more than what we think it is.
They find that out when they get into office....ever notice how quickly presidents seem to age?
Both parties are covered in the corruption ooze that banks & big business use to buy the power to run this country. That and now all the other contributors from outside the US.
I now think that both major parties are bought & sold.
As OBVIOUS as Obama's lies are .... as overt as his double talk is ... YOU think he doesn't know he is lying and talking out of both sides of his face?

Good Grief!!!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times
Dollar devaluation will equal disaster. Remember all debts get paid back one way or another. Fx swaps and any and all market manipulations from Geithner and Bernanke is not a solution as hot money flowing into gold and commodities proves and ramping up stock prices too. The banks who get axcess to money first get to privatize their gains and socialize their losses or debts on to the public long after the bailouts. Not good at all.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Hope your all loving this HOPE AND CHANGE PROMISED US. Sucks does it not. EXPERIENCE helps with being President, and getting advice from the right people. This administration to me is the very worse, i hate it Sorry blame go's to someone who promised each and every last one of us a NEW ERA OF HOPE AND CHANGE, AND A DIFFERENT SORT OF POLITICS IN D.C. i remember those words quite well, have the tapes to prove what he said to myself. He was going to be by-partisian, and bring a different energy to D.C. and the Country. Sorry he has let us down, and no excuses necessary. What has he done to our Debt, he loves to spend, terrible bills. In office for what 19 months now, blame falls right back at himself, no one else, no other person, stop making stupid excuses, gets old, tiresome, and wornout! For gosh sakes, so many are still losing their jobs or on the verge of losing their jobs. People are still foreclosing on their homes, or having to do a short sale, and hope the bank agrees. Businesses are shutting their doors, or barely making it, i have family who live thruout the U.S. they are all complaining. Face facts, blame will come right back at that who is in office, to blame any one else, is extremely ignorant.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So you prefer short term customers without consideration to the long term consequences of monetizing the debt (a.k.a printing money)?
We've lost long term customers from having a long term strong dollar. The long term policy of Maestro had a few unintended consequences. Ask Caterpillar inc why they couldn't sell to Japan.

No, I do not like debt. Printing money... inflation... some inflation is inevitable. Refusing any and all inflation is tantamount to refusing to eat your vegetables. Your arguments insisting all or nothing at all times to oversell your case doesn't hold water.

I dislike bailouts but they were necessary. I dislike printing money, but it was necessary. That printed money is still buried in a hole not yet released onto the market. I know this because if it had the price of everything would have escalated. This is strategic. A poker game is afoot. Expect a cycle of deflation to continue. Mish is right on this one and his company has the market returns to prove it. I believe they posted 11% memory serves me right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies