Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Hope your all loving this HOPE AND CHANGE PROMISED US. Sucks does it not.
What sucks even more is that no elected official (of any persuasion) can make plans to do anything more than clean up the financial toxic waste that is threatening to consume America, and any nation leaning on our monetary system. Who breached and corrupted our entire monetary system causing global havoc? Obama? Liberals? You aren't honest, and your behavior/attitude is a hint of what corrupted our monetary system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
The bank bailouts were not necessary cause the asset prices were supposed to be reinflated which did not happen and is impossible to happen and would be very undesireable for savers and millions of young Americans for that to happen. The bailouts solved nothing and were nothing more than a massive transfer of wealth. The big banks are still as insolvent as ever and the crisis/great depression continues.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
The bank bailouts were not necessary cause the asset prices were supposed to be reinflated which did not happen and is impossible to happen and would be very undesireable for savers and millions of young Americans for that to happen. The bailouts solved nothing and were nothing more than a massive transfer of wealth. The big banks are still as insolvent as ever and the crisis/great depression continues.
Asset price of what? You expected a grossly over valued real estate market to re-inflate back to their over inflated price? That wasn't the point. Bail outs only bought us time to sort out a mess. TARP is being repaid and represents a dividend to taxpayers. The real estate market people have fixated on is only the tip of an iceberg. Deeper systemic problems have imposed a hidden tax on everyone for decades and it's just catching up to us. Too big to fail means more than monopoly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Fx swaps and any and all market manipulations from Geithner and Bernanke is not a solution as hot money flowing into gold and commodities proves and ramping up stock prices too. The banks who get axcess to money first get to privatize their gains and socialize their losses or debts on to the public long after the bailouts. Not good at all.
The strategy/ hearsay on the ground surrounding wall street is BRIC. They're investing in Brazil, India, and China as emerging markets with considerable natural resources at their disposal for commodity market. Some have even gone as far as moving there, and to that I can say-- adios, America never needed fair weather citizens.

Yes most people are herding onto gold for years since 911 but I think the price is saturated. I doubt most people will ever be able to recoup that money because the first sign of clear sky they'll dump it back on the market. I do see the need for security, a means of offsetting whatever govt policy and market forces mean to hurl at world citizens. The problem with gold is that you can't eat it. Indulging in what if scenarios presuming the worst where everyone resorted to a barter system to get around monetary insanity the majority of Americans would have no material use for gold that pertains to their survival needs. A sack of flour or 10 lbs of venison would be worth more than gold. This exercise of thought is useful to get you in touch with what you really need, not the fantasies people sell that make you want what you don't actually need or scare you with doomsday scenarios. Use this difficult time in history to your advantage.

For the average Joe of limited means, I suggest you spend within your means buying durable goods that are big ticket (washing machines, update furnace etc) that you'd likely not be able to afford replacing if times got even harder should inflation kick in hard. If you're due for a new fridge or roof on your house in a few years, it's best you do that now if you've got it in the bank. If you're going to need a new car soon it's best you upgrade now. That's the best investment in your future- taking care of #1 by getting ahead of your personal/ material maint. schedule.

Smart companies are buying back their stock while the dollar is weak to strengthen their balance sheets. That brings back the value of share price. Consumers are paying down their debt. The stronger you make yourself, the less demand on charity/assistance, the sooner America will regain her strength. If you believe you won't survive this, you probably won't because you've convinced yourself you can't. 'Yes we can' has always applied and still applies, it's just the game plan that's changed.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
excessive regulations and high corporate taxes are the reason jobs keep leaving the country. the bill of which you speak will do nothing to stop the outsourcing, as all the new taxes and regulations coming online from the health care reform law and the financial reform law, will only contribute to job losses in this country. if we are going to get serious about getting manufacturing jobs back in this country, then we need to eliminate the excessive and often times contradictory regulations, take power away from the corrupt union bosses, install real health care and financial reform, and make the business environment more friendly. we need to let private enterprise do what they do best, make money. when that happens, the consumer spending will increase, and jobs will be created, and not temporary government jobs, but real long term decent paying positions.

as for nafta, that deal was pushed through by the bush 41 administration, and i believe that it did in fact go through the senate, and clinton signed the treaty.
Corporate and individual taxes are both now lower than they been historically since prior to World War II. It's not taxes and regulations that are driving companies to send jobs overseas it's good old fashion math and profits. It cost about $27.00 an hour to pay a worker at a solar panel factory in the United States. It cost $1.80 to pay the same worker in China. All the tax cuts and deregulation in the world are not going to make U.S. labor price competitive with labor in China, India, Viet Nam or other emerging market nations. Not only is the labor cheaper the potential consumer markets are growing faster and in some cases such as India and China they have the potential to be bigger than the United States.

The United States economy is undergoing a restructuring similar to what happened in the late 1970's and 1980's where many blue collar factory jobs left this country. Now any job that is capable of being done somewhere with cheaper labor cost is likely to be outsourced. This restructuring will be longer and more severe than the last one. There is NOTHING the United States Government or the America people can do about this. The corporation’s have brought and paid for the politicians in Washington D.C. What we are seeing is the beginning of the end of the United States being the dominant economic power in the world. That is not to say this country will not continue to have a major impact on the world but we simply will not be as dominant. Americans are also likely to experience a lower standard of living unless we can retool our educational system, infrastructure and economic policies to be globally competitive.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:49 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Please explain to me how it is the Republicans that are holding up bills when the Democrats have all the votes they need to pass anything they want?
It's rather simple, if there is not at least a 60-40 vote to bring a bill to the floor of the Senate it can be filibustered. All the Republican have to do is vote the party line and it's done. There are more rules in the Senate that can stop of bill from being passed than in the House. In the House everything gets done with a simple majority. The only bills exempt from filibuster in the Senate are budget bills.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I believe that Obama thought he could do everything he said he would.
I voted for Obama. It was Clinton who created NAFTA.
I believe Obama along with other presidents were naive to believe they could bring major change. The job is so much more than what we think it is.
They find that out when they get into office....ever notice how quickly presidents seem to age?
Both parties are covered in the corruption ooze that banks & big business use to buy the power to run this country. That and now all the other contributors from outside the US.
I now think that both major parties are bought & sold.
The situation is not amenable to change for the better. Cynical as it may be, until you read the law on the books, and see it for yourself, you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Since 1933, the U.S.A. has been under a perpetual "temporary" State of Emergency. The "corruption" begins with Congress and ends with Congress.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:56 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Asset price of what? You expected a grossly over valued real estate market to re-inflate back to their over inflated price? That wasn't the point. Bail outs only bought us time to sort out a mess. TARP is being repaid and represents a dividend to taxpayers. The real estate market people have fixated on is only the tip of an iceberg. Deeper systemic problems have imposed a hidden tax on everyone for decades and it's just catching up to us. Too big to fail means more than monopoly.

The strategy/ hearsay on the ground surrounding wall street is BRIC. They're investing in Brazil, India, and China as emerging markets with considerable natural resources at their disposal for commodity market. Some have even gone as far as moving there, and to that I can say-- adios, America never needed fair weather citizens.

Yes most people are herding onto gold for years since 911 but I think the price is saturated. I doubt most people will ever be able to recoup that money because the first sign of clear sky they'll dump it back on the market. I do see the need for security, a means of offsetting whatever govt policy and market forces mean to hurl at world citizens. The problem with gold is that you can't eat it. Indulging in what if scenarios presuming the worst where everyone resorted to a barter system to get around monetary insanity the majority of Americans would have no material use for gold that pertains to their survival needs. A sack of flour or 10 lbs of venison would be worth more than gold. This exercise of thought is useful to get you in touch with what you really need, not the fantasies people sell that make you want what you don't actually need or scare you with doomsday scenarios. Use this difficult time in history to your advantage.

For the average Joe of limited means, I suggest you spend within your means buying durable goods that are big ticket (washing machines, update furnace etc) that you'd likely not be able to afford replacing if times got even harder should inflation kick in hard. If you're due for a new fridge or roof on your house in a few years, it's best you do that now if you've got it in the bank. If you're going to need a new car soon it's best you upgrade now. That's the best investment in your future- taking care of #1 by getting ahead of your personal/ material maint. schedule.

Smart companies are buying back their stock while the dollar is weak to strengthen their balance sheets. That brings back the value of share price. Consumers are paying down their debt. The stronger you make yourself, the less demand on charity/assistance, the sooner America will regain her strength. If you believe you won't survive this, you probably won't because you've convinced yourself you can't. 'Yes we can' has always applied and still applies, it's just the game plan that's changed.
Bernanke was told to redouble his efforts to reinflate the housing bubble on a condition of his reinstatement from a certain few politicians which was impossible to do. The path they have chosen with these bailouts which is a coverup for fraud and criminal activity is a path to failure. Bill Black, the guy who threw around 1,000 bankers in jail during the much smaller savings and loan scandal has said if Obama keeps covering up the largest fraud in history like they have done it will destroy his presidency. The economy is getting worse and nothing has been solved and nothing good came from these transfer of wealth bailouts. Markets are topping and states are stopping foreclosures, not good and notice the unemployment numbers are still at depression era levels.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Uh, the reason so many people aren't working is because successive administrations, from Ronald Reagan to G.W. Bush, allowed our jobs to go overseas without any effort to stop the hemorrhage. Their corporate sugar daddies wanted the extra profit, you see.

Obama can't correct that overnight. In fact, with the Republican's holding up bills which would seek to correct the off-shoring of our livelihoods (which they just did....again), he'll never be able to bring back the jobs which were lost to corporate greed.

But, it's all his fault anyhow, right?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Clinton closed years of political and economic debate Tuesday, and sealed a major achievement of his administration by signing a bill extending permanent, normal trade status to China.

"Today we take a major step toward China's entry into the World Trade Organization and a major step toward answering some of the central challenges of this new century," Clinton said in a bipartisan White House ceremony Tuesday afternoon.
"Trade with China will not only extend our nation's unprecedented economic growth, it offers us a chance to help shape the future of the world's most prosperous nation and to reaffirm our own global leadership for peace and prosperity."
The measure is considered the most important U.S. trade legislation since passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement in 1993. But it faced a long campaign of opposition from labor, human rights and conservative groups who wanted to retain the annual review of trade relations with China.
The Senate passed the China trade bill in September after supporters won a bruising battle in the House of Representatives in May. Lawmakers from both sides of the aisle joined Clinton on the South Lawn of the White House to watch him sign the measure, dubbed the U.S.-China Relations Act of 2000.

Clinton signs China trade bill, - October 10, 2000

Lets see here?????

The WTO ehhh?
NAFTA

Those two things opened the door. The computer age has allowed people all over the world to be able to take your job, if your job is to sit in front of a monitor and keyboard all day.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:09 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Well, since I started this thread, I ended up being busy the last few days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Hope your all loving this HOPE AND CHANGE PROMISED US. Sucks does it not. EXPERIENCE helps with being President, and getting advice from the right people. This administration to me is the very worse, i hate it Sorry blame go's to someone who promised each and every last one of us a NEW ERA OF HOPE AND CHANGE, AND A DIFFERENT SORT OF POLITICS IN D.C. i remember those words quite well, have the tapes to prove what he said to myself. He was going to be by-partisian, and bring a different energy to D.C. and the Country. Sorry he has let us down, and no excuses necessary. What has he done to our Debt, he loves to spend, terrible bills. In office for what 19 months now, blame falls right back at himself, no one else, no other person, stop making stupid excuses, gets old, tiresome, and wornout! For gosh sakes, so many are still losing their jobs or on the verge of losing their jobs. People are still foreclosing on their homes, or having to do a short sale, and hope the bank agrees. Businesses are shutting their doors, or barely making it, i have family who live thruout the U.S. they are all complaining. Face facts, blame will come right back at that who is in office, to blame any one else, is extremely ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Corporate and individual taxes are both now lower than they been historically since prior to World War II. It's not taxes and regulations that are driving companies to send jobs overseas it's good old fashion math and profits. It cost about $27.00 an hour to pay a worker at a solar panel factory in the United States. It cost $1.80 to pay the same worker in China. All the tax cuts and deregulation in the world are not going to make U.S. labor price competitive with labor in China, India, Viet Nam or other emerging market nations. Not only is the labor cheaper the potential consumer markets are growing faster and in some cases such as India and China they have the potential to be bigger than the United States.

The United States economy is undergoing a restructuring similar to what happened in the late 1970's and 1980's where many blue collar factory jobs left this country. Now any job that is capable of being done somewhere with cheaper labor cost is likely to be outsourced. This restructuring will be longer and more severe than the last one. There is NOTHING the United States Government or the America people can do about this. The corporation’s have brought and paid for the politicians in Washington D.C. What we are seeing is the beginning of the end of the United States being the dominant economic power in the world. That is not to say this country will not continue to have a major impact on the world but we simply will not be as dominant. Americans are also likely to experience a lower standard of living unless we can retool our educational system, infrastructure and economic policies to be globally competitive.
A harsh realization is coming to those that believe ANY different. We sure need a hell of a lot more than god to bless America.

What a joke.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Uh, the reason so many people aren't working is because successive administrations, from Ronald Reagan to G.W. Bush, allowed our jobs to go overseas without any effort to stop the hemorrhage. Their corporate sugar daddies wanted the extra profit, you see.

Obama can't correct that overnight. In fact, with the Republican's holding up bills which would seek to correct the off-shoring of our livelihoods (which they just did....again), he'll never be able to bring back the jobs which were lost to corporate greed.

But, it's all his fault anyhow, right?
Yeah, all of those corporations have been paying people salaries and filling jobs for decades even though they werent needed due to policies by presidents. Why Bush managed to convince corporations to hire enough people just a few short years ago to get unemployment below 5%, just to make Bush look good, Corporations all followed and hired people to stand around and play video games, just to fill up empty slots..

Its a vast right wing conspiracy to embarrass the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies