Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,337,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
The examples that Ann Coulter cited were taken out of context, for one thing. I have heard Joy Behar refer to herself on at least one occasion as a 'nice Catholic girl'. So I assume Joy Behar doesn't disparage all Christians---some.

This was the point being made on The View. The US was attacked on 911 by 'some' Muslims--extremists/terrorists. Even if you don't like/agree with Fundamentalist/homeschooling Christians I think it is a stretch to compare them to those who attacked the World Trade Center.

ETA: From another discussion--a comment from a poster who seems to agree with me>>>
'And that's not a good comparison at all. You are comparing apples and oranges. The people who planned and executed 911 were primarily Saudis. They were terrorists. Are you saying because they were also Muslim that ALL Muslims were somehow implicated in the terrorist act? '

I also am not certain that it is appropriate to compare religious extremists to nations --Japan and Germany.

O'Reilly was invited to appear on The View to generate interest and attract viewers so in my opinion he 'gave a performance'. Not much to discuss. He earns his living in this manner.

I have seen that thing at least 4 times and all I heard was O'Reilly say that the cry babies couldn't take was that he said the attackers were Muslims. That was where they lost themselves. It was so easy to see that Whoopie just didn't want to hear talk like that so she joined Joy.

I wonder how many atheists we have who were raised as Christians. Something is there in that on an average atheists seem to know more about the Bible than most Christians. Comment on that one please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,873,672 times
Quote:
The examples that Ann Coulter cited were taken out of context, for one thing. I have heard Joy Behar refer to herself on at least one occasion as a 'nice Catholic girl'. So I assume Joy Behar doesn't disparage all Christians---some.

Well I can't argue that because I don't listen to her. But I don't think she is nice at all.

This was the point being made on The View. The US was attacked on 911 by 'some' Muslims--extremists/terrorists. Even if you don't like/agree with Fundamentalist/homeschooling Christians I think it is a stretch to compare them to those who attacked the World Trade Center.

That wasn't the comparison. The comparison was that she disparages christains and no one has a problem but you have to be very careful what you say about muslims. Why is that? Fear? They are both religions, are they not?

ETA: From another discussion--a comment from a poster who seems to agree with me>>>
'And that's not a good comparison at all. You are comparing apples and oranges. The people who planned and executed 911 were primarily Saudis. They were terrorists. Are you saying because they were also Muslim that ALL Muslims were somehow implicated in the terrorist act? '

What percentage of terrorists are muslims? Where is the muslim outrage at these terroristic attacks? When the abortion Dr was shot the christians came out in droves to renounce his actions.

I also am not certain that it is appropriate to compare religious extremists to nations --Japan and Germany.

Terrorists have waged war against the infidel (us) just like Japan or Germany. So why not? My Dad was in Germany during WWII and met Germans that helped him so not all Germans wanted that war either yet we refer to it as such.

O'Reilly was invited to appear on The View to generate interest and attract viewers so in my opinion he 'gave a performance'. Not much to discuss. He earns his living in this manner.
O'Reilly didn't give the performance, Whoopie and Behar did. And I'm sure Joy had more viewers for her own show so she got what she wanted. And they ALL make their living in that manner so on that we can agree.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,553,122 times
I'd like to see Behar's rating for her little show and O'Reilly's ratings. He buries her in the ratings.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,009,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Just the fact that they couldn't even be tolerant enough to allow Bill to get his opinion out about the Mosque at Ground Zero, they got hung up on the nomenclature he used "Muslim" vs. "Extremist".

The p.c. are so intolerant of other's opinions.
Alas, what does that have to do with being politically correct? He simply used the wrong term. Political correctness has to do with minimizing offense by using terms that are not perceived to be derogatory to a particular group - like saying "******" to describe a black person, "***" to describe a homosexual, etc. (see how it is censored here!) Surely, "extremist" is not a term generally used to describe a person of muslim faith? (notice how neither "muslim" nor "extremist" got censored?) Unless, of course, you (and Bill) believe that all muslims are extremists.

Quote:
'During WW2 did we say we were attacked by Japanese or German extremists--no--therefore in 2010 it is reasonable to say we were attacked by Muslims.'
Hm, we were at war with those nations (and by association, that included all citizens of those nations). We are not at war with Islam (and thereby, with all muslims) - thus, this reasoning is rather false and cannot really be used to justify such generalization.

Finally, walking off the stage does seem rather childish to me. Still, when Ahmadinejad makes anti-semitic rants at the UN, top politicians feel free to walk out as a way to express their disapproval/protest. Are they acting childish as well?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,787,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
It is real simple who attacked the US on 9/11.

Men.

End of subject.

Well of course and they attacked because we are............................ women?

Last edited by shorebaby; 10-14-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,258,927 times
I am proud to be able to say that I have never watched a full episode of the view. What I saw in the clips released has only served to re-enforce that I was smart for not watching in the past. Barbra Walters as always was very professional. Whoopie and Joy as usual demonstrated that without Walters that they would have to find another line of work. Joy struck me as a self involved azz. Whoopie struck as a has been hack.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,538,108 times
Watching the tape again it almost looked like Whoopie was going to get physical with Bill. Thanks goodness Babs W. was sitting inbetween to referee~ How inappropriate and immature. And then Whoopie obviously let er fly with the cursing because she was bleep-bleeped awhile. Ridiculous.
And they returned to the set because they just have to have their "air time." Nobody missed them. lol.
Joy is an angry childish brat.
Bill was expressing his "view" and maybe he said something that queen-bee JOy and Whoopie took offense at but they should have handled it in an appropriate way. Not storming off the set.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 AM

7,977 posts, read 7,372,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Oh God, I feel bad for Bill. I think his opinion was clearly wrong, but he tried to keep the debate civil and people talked over him. Barbara Walters was absolutely the voice of reason here.

You may feel Mr. O's opinion was wrong, and that is your perogative. But did you hear the audience applauding when he said 70% of people do not want the mosque?

Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 AM

7,977 posts, read 7,372,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I will say ABC's The View has had some pretty annoying co-hosts including Crazy ole Rosie O'donnel but no one rubs me the wrong way or leaves a worse taste in my mouth than Joy Bahar. There is no joy in Joy that is for sure.
When you look up the word battle-ax in the dictionary surely a picture of Joy Bahar is next to it.

Agreed; and if you look up the word "ugly" in the dictionary, Whoopi's picture is next to it.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,380,170 times
How the hell did an erstwhile consummate professional like Babwa Wawa get caught up in this 200-car trainwreck of a show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies